Dayz Mod Epoch - anyone made their own lan server or know tutorials?

Soldato
Hi guys

After some disappointing experiences on Epoch servers the missus and I thought it might be a good idea to create our own LAN server, just us against the world (we've only been playing a few days so it's all a bit new still).

I've looked about the net for tutorials but I'm struggling to find an ABC of what I need to do to set one up, it seems complicated though, especially when you take into account different versions of the mod and game!

So...how did you do it? Is there an easy way or do you know of some good tutorials you could point me to?

Thanks very much. :)

Soldato
Uhhhh yeahhhhh... good luck with that!

/ducks out

Its one thing buying a Dayz server and learning to tweak the config. But hosting it yourself and designing custom missions that will beat the other 1000+ plus epoch servers is a crazy thought

When you say running it over LAN, do you mean creating the mission PBO using Epoch code and Dayz code and running it from the in game mission i.e "NEW"?

If so, i'l save you the pain... it wont work! Your going to not only need 100% up time (i.e a dedicated PC running it), you'll also need a solid internet connection of around 100mb down and at least 50mb up.

Your best bet is do some research on the internet on where you can buy/rent a dedicated epoch server. Learn how to change various command lines in the PBO then mount it and place it back in a server file!

Even if you manage to do it, its highly unlikely you'll be able to make it successful as there are better more secure servers out there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Goon, I don't think they are wanting to create a server for everyone to play on. Just a private one for themselves.

Just download the server and client files, set it up as per instructions have one machine running the server with a password on so only you can connect to it.

Just Google "Setting up DayZ Epoch servers", there will be loads of videos on YouTube about it no doubt.

Alternatively, try out some of the Co-op missions for Arma 2.

Chernarus Apocalypse - Part One

Dynamic Zombie Sandbox

Soldato
Goon, I don't think they are wanting to create a server for everyone to play on. Just a private one for themselves.

Just download the server and client files, set it up as per instructions have one machine running the server with a password on so only you can connect to it.

Just Google "Setting up DayZ Epoch servers", there will be loads of videos on YouTube about it no doubt.

Alternatively, try out some of the Co-op missions for Arma 2.

Chernarus Apocalypse - Part One

Dynamic Zombie Sandbox

In that case then yeah, that can be done.

I assumed you wanted it on the interwebs because of "us against the world?".

Associate
If the LAN server was to drop though would you not lose your character and any base that you have created or does it store all that information?

Would it not be really boring just having to deal with zombies? they are after all pretty easy to defeat once you get to know the game

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the posts guys.

Yes it's just a private LAN for us, certainly at least until we get the hang of the game properly. Us against the world means us against the game world. :)

I became very aware of how fragile our game world characters are last night. I was playing in a server adding stuff to a vehicle when I was suddenly teleported, along with everyone else onto a bus where the admins were streaming god awful music through the voice chat...no way off, kicked off the server if you complain, and my vehicle was sat back at the base unlocked with hours worth of stuff in it.

I've also lost gold and weapons etc. while transferring things through bugs.

Another server that we had been in has been offline for days so no access to stuff there.

My thoughts were we could play the game as normal but having full control if we encounter a bug etc., we could just spawn in whatever we've lost.

My thoughts were if we made our

If the LAN server was to drop though would you not lose your character and any base that you have created or does it store all that information?

That's a good question, I hadn't thought of that. We could spawn the stuff back in I suppose but I don't know what would happen to anything we create, we haven't done that as yet.

Associate
DayZ is a very unforgiving game in terms of how fast you can lose your progress ingame, Even more frustrating when you lose stuff due to the vast amount of bugs/glitches has.

Does get your heart racing in a intense firefight though

Edit:

I am always interesting in some arma2/3 coop missions

Associate
The easiest solution - come and play on CPC's Epoch server (cpc-gaming.eu) :D You can get a free starter box to build a small base and there are active admins to help out if you have any issues.

Associate
Yeah I'd agree with Derv. CPC isn't mega busy so you'll not have the same frequency of threats as you would on a busy server, and the head admin is a good sort if any glitches are behind you losing gear.

Soldato
OP
Long as you have mysql installed on your PC the DB would save as per normal. Just follow the guides for dedi box setups and you are away.

How quick does the database update? Is it everytime something changes like a character picking up / selling something?

Cheers for the recommendations derv & Prestonian, we've just been picking based on rules and low ping and hoping for the best at the moment so a suggested server is always welcome...just search for CPC to find it?

It may be the easiest way but we would still like to be spawning things at times to test out the weapons etc...roaring into a zombie infested town with the top gear, or letting loose with heli machine guns seems a bit of a wheeze! :D

Associate
Unfortunately the zombies aren't a threat once you've Sussed out their weaknesses. You really need other players to give you the increased heartbeat experience.

I wouldn't recommend playing on a server alone unless it's purely for practice.

Associate
I am currently doing this and although there are a lot of guides out there, some are incomplete, old or just wrong.

I followed the guide here and it worked fine for me.

You will probably need to open whatever firewall for the OA exe. Can't remember if I needed to specifically open anything for Battle Eye.

RB

Soldato
OP
I am currently doing this and although there are a lot of guides out there, some are incomplete, old or just wrong.

I followed the guide here and it worked fine for me.

You will probably need to open whatever firewall for the OA exe. Can't remember if I needed to specifically open anything for Battle Eye.

RB

Thanks very much for the link, that's exactly what I've been looking for!

I have been following a Youtube guide but as you say they are out of date, this was posted last August:

It has got me up and running...sort of...I almost get into the game:
server runs
game fires up with DayZ Commander
takes me the difficulty and map select screen
Multiplayer setup screen
Black Dayz Epoch loading screen...

Then it crashes to the desktop with an "Arma 2 OA has stopped working" screen - arragghh so close!

This is the problem:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Arma2OAserver.exe
Application Version: 1.62.103.718
Application Timestamp: 51682563
Fault Module Name: HiveExt.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.9.6.14
Fault Module Timestamp: 52deebf8
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00031640
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I'm a bit stuck now...the missus could see the sever as well, we are *so* close to getting it working....so frustrating! :mad:

Associate
not seen that issue but you are running the Arma OA Beta game aren't you and not the standard OA.

What OS are you running on your server ?.
Is your client version steam based and if so why not just run it from steam ?.

I have had masses of issues with DayZ Commander and never use it now. I could not get a correct IP address for downloading Epoch (even after doing a DNSflush). I could also not download any mods even with my firewalls totally turned off on both the client and server machines.

I am currently editing the trader camp at Stary to better organise it and add military guards to stop zombie incursion. Has been a bit of a learning curve but the camp is now redesigned and I just have to get the guards... well... guarding as well as a couple of patrols going around waypoints.

RB

Soldato
OP
Hi, thanks for your reply, I've only just seen it.

We've got it sorted now...easy answer...run the server from a separate machine! :D

Luckily I had ARMA & OA on Steam which I use as a client and I also snapped it up really cheap once on GOG so I use that as the server on a separate machine and we both connect as clients now, jobs a goodun! :D

I haven't looked at any mods or anything like that yet, we are running vanilla Epoch.

Do you know where we would download mods etc? I've been on servers where there are side objectives...kill a murderer, recover stuff from a downed heli etc., that would be fun!

Associate
You can build missions yourself with the in-game map editor and a bit of scripting.

I am getting to grips with the editor (start the game and press [LEFT ALT] + [E]). For some of the specific Epoch stuff you need to get a couple of files from their Github but I don't recall at this point **** they are. Will update when home.

You could use this to re-populate one of the army bases, make the soldiers hostile (needs to be done via script in the init.sqf ?? if what I have read is right). Google "make soldiers hostile to zombies" to get the basics.

Then you could have a shadowy arms dealer somewhere around, protected by bodyguards, offer a job to get a vehicle that just happens to be parked in the army base because [Russion voice speaking English] "I don't know, I like it, it used to be my Mothers. Now just get it". Make the reward something like a single L115A3 with 1 mag (possibly remove the buy option from the Hero trader first) or some M2 ammo.

The L115A3 is a nice carrot but can be bought currently at the Hero trader. The M2 ammo is pretty rare and fairly sought after as it can be used in the multiple vehicles with mounted M2 guns.

For a bit of added spice... make the car have two broken wheels and no fuel... Give the army base a armed helicopter and a couple of rapid response squads in jeeps or something to track down the attackers. Try to place the base somewhere where the players can't just sit on a hill sniping the soldiers all day.

The players could then use a mixture of stealth and spare parts to bust the car out or even airlift it with a Heli.

Would be a bit of work to put together but would be a great team mission I think.

Would be happy to work with you on this as I am just digging in to the scripting etc myself and would be easier to collaborate than to try and work it all out on my own. A lot of the info out there is out of date (spend hours trying to get waypoints and setpos etc from various guides working to get guards up in watchtowers to find out that you now just have to place them there in the editor for example).

RB

Back
Top Bottom