Cheapish hotel between Finsbury Park and Stratford?

Man of Honour
I stay in cheap London hotels quite a bit, basically the way I do it is:

-Search on www.hotelscombined.com
-Filter for 3* and above, max £79, guest rating 6+, accomodation type hotel (i.e. excluding hostels etc)
-Look through the list to find hotels not too far from the city centre (their location filters suck) at a reasonable price
-Check nearby transport links - depends on where you need to get to/from obviously
-Make sure they are ensuite rooms etc
-Check Tripadvisor to make sure it isn't a complete dive
-Look for a seller offering at or very close to the lowest price with decent discount codes, e.g. Venere usually have a 15% discount code

For reference I have stayed both near Finsbury Park (quite a few times after going to football... I *think* from memory the best value in terms of quality relative to price was Pembury hotel at ~£52 but not sure) and Stratford (Epsilon hotel ~£48). I usually pay between £35-70 a night with varying quality - but I'm usually just wanting a single bed for the night, rather than a romantic night away.

Personally I tend to not worry too much about exact location so long as the nearby transport links work out well. London is so well connected that the best options is sometimes to stay further away but near a train station. I tend to end up staying in Bayswater area (between Hyde Park and Paddington) quite a lot because it seems to have a lot of reasonably priced hotels, it really doesn't take long to get elsewhere in London, a lot of them are literally like 2mins walk to Lancaster Gate / Queensway which is on Central line.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Air bnb for 1or 2 persons has never been cheap or even competive the past 3 citybreak trips I've planned.
We always ended up in a hotel.

I used it for the first time a few weeks ago and saved a fortune - had an apartment about 4 times the size of the hotel room two friends were staying in around the corner and paid as much per night as they did each for their twin room. I think this is especially useful if booking last minute as hotel prices are rather variable whereas individual airbnb owners probably don't dynamically adjust prices for their individual unbooked rooms/apartments - apartment is either booked/not booked vs a hotel that can see it's varying capacity and rate of bookings then adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've been tempted by airbnb but invariably if I'm staying in London it is because I'm doing something in the evening and just need a place to lay my head at night which makes me more nervous about that type of arrangement where I am likely to arrive late and/or having had a drink or two. A hotel won't bat an eyelid at a punter showing up half cut to check in at 11pm, but a host might not appreciate it so much. Also heard stories of people having cancellations etc.

I could see myself using airbnb for a more traditional weekend break however as it is essentially just a slightly more casual b&b and the prices look good.

Hotel prices do fluctuate but if you're not fussy on quality / exact location usually some good last minute deals to be had as hotels don't want a room sat empty - I've booked some on the check-in date before.

Back
Top Bottom