Magnitude 6.2 earthquake in Italy

Soldato
its easy to forget Italy is still quite geologically active

Italy, Greece and the Adriatic countries. Caused by Africa's push northwards. Saw a prog on Earth's continents with Prof Stewart and he said the Med or just above it would eventually become Europe's Himalayas.

Hope there are not too many casualties.

Soldato
I'll take the mediocre weather and no catastrophic natural events in the uk any day.

(I don't consider getting flooded on a floodplain a natural disaster)

Our houses would crumple as they are not built to any standard that would be safe in am earthquake zone.

That town did not look remotely built against earthquake damage either.

The only earthquake protection I'm aware of is on hugely expensive buildings.

Soldato
Under Eurocodes, you are required to consider seismic events. However the UK is in a region of low seismicity so only large and important structures need to have earthquake resistance designed for. Tunnels, bridges and power stations are examples.

Most regions historically have not had housing designed to resist earthquakes, preferring to rebuild instead. However recently building codes have been strengthened in places like Wellington NZ and Japan in light of recent incidence.

Soldato
Horrible horrible story. Can't imagine what it must be like to be caught in an earthquake, and trapped alive. Knowing that your chance of rescue is hrs if not days away.

RIP to all those that have died, and to all those that will.

Soldato
I'm glad the UK is mostly a boring place to live after seeing the devastation over in Italy. It's the birth lottery, when you're born in such a potentially violent part of the planet. Happening through the night too was even worse.

Soldato
I somewhat ignored this story yesterday, with less than half a dozen deaths reported when I saw the reports during breakfast. But seeing headlines this morning of nearly 250 confirmed fatalities.... wow - it's just awful :(

Back
Top Bottom