The next Labour leader thread

Soldato
That's OK

To be honest, I really do think the Labour party as we know it is pretty much screwed either way. Oily's whole campaign seems to be based around a cunning (yet totally obvious) charade were he pretends to be really left-wing in order to win over the membership. Which will lead to one hell of a bun fight should he actually win. Corbyn is, well Corbyn.

At the end of it all there'll still be the PLP and membership pulling in different directions, neither of which appeal to the voters...

Its a given but as with an earlier post, the Blairite fake labour ticket riders have to get out. My MP is one! I think we need a combination of right and left wing policy to meet all society. :)

Soldato
So should Corbyn win... That would make your total 1,000 people in the electorate... Liars? The pollsters... Wrong? (again)

Come next month or so we will see. I've already got a sig lined up if Corbyn loses as a forfeit.

I've voted Labour since Noah was a lad, even the rock I buy at the seaside has Labour right through it. I have supported Labour through the bad times and believe me there has been many bad times including the Hatton era :eek:

However, nothing has been as bad as it is now and for me I simply can't see a way back for Labour - as a political force as long as Corbyn and momentum are on the scene they are finished. He may well be re-elected, but he has absolutely no chance of taking Labour to victory in a general election. Labour party activists appear to live in some leftist bubble and think the electorate share their political values. Nothing could be further from the truth.

There are those within the Labour movement who aren't the least bit interested in winning the next election. They see the Labour party as a vehicle in which they can slowly change the political landscape of the UK even if it takes them decades to do so. For them it is an ideological struggle .

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a given but as with an earlier post, the Blairite fake labour ticket riders have to get out. My MP is one! I think we need a combination of right and left wing policy to meet all society. :)

You mean the ones that won Labour three elections? No wonder Labour is finished if you want the Blairites out. :rolleyes:

Suspended

You do realise that you would be condemning working class voters to decades of Tory rule. Maybe you don't work or have a family etc. so it doesn't matter to you perhaps? Blair struck a balance between capitalism and doing things for working people - it's called pragmatism.

All Corbyn's ever done in his political life is vote against things. He's never actually done anything.

Soldato
I've voted Labour since Noah was a lad, even the rock I buy at the seaside has Labour right through it. I have supported Labour through the bad times and believe me there has been many bad times including the Hatton era :eek:

However, nothing has been as bad as it is now and for me I simply can't see a way back for Labour - as a political force as long as Corbyn and momentum are on the scene they are finished. He may well be re-elected, but he has absolutely no chance of taking Labour to victory in a general election. Labour party activists appear to live in some leftist bubble and think the electorate share their political values. Nothing could be further from the truth.

There are those within the Labour movement who aren't the least bit interested in winning the next election. They see the Labour party as a vehicle in which they can slowly change the political landscape of the UK even if it takes them decades to do so. For them it is an ideological struggle .

Don't think I'm old enough to recount fairly that time :)

You mean the ones that won Labour three elections? No wonder Labour is finished if you want the Blairites out. :rolleyes:

The very same. The political landscape is facing a never before seen change. People are fed up with what's happening. Almost all stems from a systemic measure of inequality. Its happening quite wholesale across the west. Sooner or later there will be a revolution of one kind or another.

Soldato
You do realise that you would be condemning working class voters to decades of Tory rule. Maybe you don't work or have a family etc. so it doesn't matter to you perhaps? Blair struck a balance between capitalism and doing things for working people - it's called pragmatism.

All Corbyn's ever done in his political life is vote against things. He's never actually done anything.

Ostensibly so. However people will always look at an alternative. They already showed what we were capable of on 23rd June 2016 (aka Indy day).

I do work and have a family and am prepared to take a chance away from more of the same.

Its interesting what Blair did do and did not. If we were to go through it we would end up with another 200 pager doubtless. What we do know unequivocally is that Blair was in it for himself and has attained a vast fortune somehow from his after career (that cronies in waiting statement I made earlier is more than happenstance).

Was it pragmatism or was it the creation of a system of wealth creation on credit? We figure that all out and we will see what has happened and can make a sensible judgement. Blair could have been the man who cemented corporatism into the nation.

Well we can argue what Corbyn has or has not done all day and doubtless be in the same position in 3 pages time.

Caporegime
eh - what because he was caught out by CCTV that he basically lied to further his own cause.

I agree that the press do seem to print any old tat if it has his name attached but if he's going to hand it on a plate to them with stuff like this then he's going to have t take this one on the chin.

If he wants to pull a stunt like this there are plenty of commuter traibns he could have hopped on in the rush hour and got the desired footage.

This is actually a horrendous gaffe by corbyn, what on earth was he thinking? :confused:

Absolute nuts.

Suspended
Ostensibly so. However people will always look at an alternative. They already showed what we were capable of on 23rd June 2016 (aka Indy day).

I do work and have a family and am prepared to take a chance away from more of the same.

Its interesting what Blair did do and did not. If we were to go through it we would end up with another 200 pager doubtless. What we do know unequivocally is that Blair was in it for himself and has attained a vast fortune somehow from his after career (that cronies in waiting statement I made earlier is more than happenstance).

Was it pragmatism or was it the creation of a system of wealth creation on credit? We figure that all out and we will see what has happened and can make a sensible judgement. Blair could have been the man who cemented corporatism into the nation.

Well we can argue what Corbyn has or has not done all day and doubtless be in the same position in 3 pages time.

Given the choice of a Blair Brown Balls front bench or Corbyn McDonald Abbott I would vote for the former every time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Given the choice of a Blair Brown Balls front bench or Corbyn McDonald Abbott I will be voting for the former every time.

As a life long Labour voter I may not vote at the next election if Corbyn is still in charge. The wife's talking about voting Conservative to stop Labour and for once I won't even try to talk her out of doing so. Who knows if Corbyn and momentum carry on the way they are I may end up doing so myself.

Caporegime

In the end people saw through Blair and his "New Labour" tho. Brown lost the election. And many people do not remember Blair fondly in 2016.

Let's not forget the bad from Blair's legacy...

The Iraq war (based on lies).
Massive use of "spin".
Policy of deliberate mass immigration, to "rub the people's noses in multiculturalism".
"There's no money left."
Tuition fees
Outsourcing public functions to private providers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...molish-the-myth-about-tony-blair-7808282.html

Apparently a lot of Tories see Blair as "one of us".

And in Blair's memoirs, he cites the Freedom of Information Act as one of his biggest mistakes. "Governments have to be able to keep secrets from their people; to decide things behind closed doors. Showing people what politicians are doing only reduces trust in them."

I'm really not sure who a Blair-style Labour party is appealing to today? People whose instincts are aligned with the Tories but prefer red to blue? Heh.

If the PLP are mostly the next-gen of Blair and co, I'd rather see what's in box #2.

Caporegime
Seeing Owen smith on BBC news this morning, the guy seems like an idiot.

He is - he wants to get round the table for peace talks with the Islamic State lol.

This traingate thing, I think Corbyn is right on - I was on a Kings Cross-Edinburgh train last week and it was absolutely rammed, if I hadn't have booked a seat I'd have been standing all the way to York. According to his spokesman on the radio this morning he was sitting on the floor with another young couple, a guard noticed him and offered him a free upgrade to first class, which Corbyn declined because he shouldn't get upgraded ahead of the young couple. So instead the guard upgraded some people sitting in standard class to free up some room for Corbyn to sit in standard class. That would explain why he was able to get a sit later.

Back
Top Bottom