Missing parcel - what to do?

Soldato
So I ordered something yesterday over the phone using my credit card, and they shipped it yesterday for delivery today with UPS. I wasn't sure if I would be in, but thought I would just rearrange delivery if they left a card.

Got back just now, there's a card, with no other info filled in (date, time, etc.) but just "Behind Green Bin" in quite bad handwriting.

I've checked behind the green bin and inside it. Nothing to be found.

I can only assume that either someone has seen UPS leave something there, and then taken it, or spotted it whilst walking past, and taken it.

I've asked both my neighbours, as we regularly take in parcels for one another, but they've not had anything, and I'm sure the card would've said as much if they'd in fact left it with them.

The value of the item is £250, and it was quite rare (an old lens). I'm going to call the retailer tomorrow to see what they can do, but it doesn't look like much is possible. The only proof I've got is the card they left. If that fails, I assume a chargeback with my credit card is the best route? :o

M0ohhYJ.jpg

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't have a green bin. I have a black bin with a green lid. Does that count?

But seriously OP, just report it to the retailer. Your contract is with them. They have the contract with the carrier. If you are unsatisfied with the outcome then you of course have the right claim under Section 75 with your card issuer.

Soldato
I had this same issue 3 weeks ago, Chose and paid for a Saturday delivery when I knew I would be in and I got home on the Wednesday to a Hermes card telling my it was behind my gate.

Peeked over my waste high gate and nothing was there, hunted all over the garden to make sure.

What I did was get on the phone to the store and they sorted it all out and refunded me within 2 weeks, I had to wait that long because of their "lost parcel" policy.

Soldato
OP
Ha. I was looking for that thread to post in actually, rather than starting a new one. I assume it was deleted?

Will get onto the retailer first thing in the morning. I'm sure this isn't the first time they've had this happen.

Associate
So I ordered something yesterday over the phone using my credit card, and they shipped it yesterday for delivery today with UPS. I wasn't sure if I would be in, but thought I would just rearrange delivery if they left a card.

Got back just now, there's a card, with no other info filled in (date, time, etc.) but just "Behind Green Bin" in quite bad handwriting.

I've checked behind the green bin and inside it. Nothing to be found.

I can only assume that either someone has seen UPS leave something there, and then taken it, or spotted it whilst walking past, and taken it.

I've asked both my neighbours, as we regularly take in parcels for one another, but they've not had anything, and I'm sure the card would've said as much if they'd in fact left it with them.

The value of the item is £250, and it was quite rare (an old lens). I'm going to call the retailer tomorrow to see what they can do, but it doesn't look like much is possible. The only proof I've got is the card they left. If that fails, I assume a chargeback with my credit card is the best route? :o

It's in my garden

Caporegime
Saw a parcel outside someone's door yesterday just left in plain sight. If I had wanted to I could have easily taken it. Im surprised couriers do it. Surely it happens a lot that they are stolen?

Soldato
OP
Saw a parcel outside someone's door yesterday just left in plain sight. If I had wanted to I could have easily taken it. Im surprised couriers do it. Surely it happens a lot that they are stolen?

It must do. It makes no sense at all. Surely the delivery drivers aren't that under pressure that they would risk a potential disciplinary (I assume leaving parcels without getting any form of signature would be frowned upon) rather than just leaving a card to rearrange the delivery?

Soldato
Delivery company card, does it have a number, I would ring that initially, and state you can't find this package, can they get onto the driver and confirm exactly where he said he left it.

We've had in shed, under mat, in coal bunker in the past, none an issue, but under mat was hilarious, as the box was bigger than the mat and the mat was left a foot in the air as a result. Cul-de-sac, close neighbours, no issues so driver would have know this, just had to 'hide' the item.

Did you hunt in the bin, the shed, and everywhere around just to confirm he had not written one thing, then dumped it elsewhere?

Caporegime

I think the self employed type courriers get paid per delivery, so will take the risk and just dump them on your doorstep. Our Amazon driver does this every time.

Soldato
OP
Did you hunt in the bin, the shed, and everywhere around just to confirm he had not written one thing, then dumped it elsewhere?

Yep, even checked the neighbours bins. We live in a row of 4 terraced houses, with no access to the rear unless you go around the block. We all keep our green and black bins at the front of our houses.

The only numbers on the card left are for the UPS InfoNotice service, rearranging a collection, and UPS AccessPoint deliveries. Will check the website for a customer service number and give it a ring tomorrow.

Soldato
Recently i have had delivery from amazon being left in my BLACK BIN. Which is not very plesent inside i have to say.

Whats really annoying is that these parcels are small, which can be left in the Large Green Lockable green parcel safe on the wall... NEXT TO THE BLACK BIN!

But no... they are morons

Soldato
We've had in shed, under mat, in coal bunker in the past, none an issue, but under mat was hilarious, as the box was bigger than the mat and the mat was left a foot in the air as a result. Cul-de-sac, close neighbours, no issues so driver would have know this, just had to 'hide' the item.

Under mat. :D:D

Mine was "in your seat" yesterday. Storage bench in the back garden so perfect.. except it stuck out the top and was in clear sight and thankfully wasn't raining like today. :p Have also had "beneath your BBQ." Don't own one, so had to go next door.

Associate
When UPS deliver to me i'm usually out so they take the parcel to my local drop off point which is a dry cleaning shop where all the parcels sit in their window until picked up.

Back
Top Bottom