The Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO Owners Thread....

Soldato
Getting this motherboard, so wanted to start a thread for owners, post pics, benches, clocks, tips, problems etc of your Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO skylake board.

Last edited:
Soldato
Getting this motherboard, so wanted to start a thread for owners, post pics, benches, clocks, tips, problems etc of your Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO skylake board.

had this a few days now , with i7 6700k and Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz

not had much play , but love the fan control for each fan in bios, was annoying the fan would spin fast then slow with slight cpu usage, such as opening a program, but figured it out at the end

aint played with overclocking yet just wanted to test it at stock and see how it runs first , but have ram at 3000mhz, best to manually set it then xmp

Soldato
OP
Nice, i will be ordering my hero viii board tomorrow, just deciding what ram to go with, think i will just stick with 16GB DDR4 2666MHz vengeance lpx, was also thinking of getting the nh-d14 also, but may just go with the evo 212, are you on windows 10, did all the drivers for your board come on the supplied dvd ?

Soldato
Nice, i will be ordering my hero viii board tomorrow, just deciding what ram to go with, think i will just stick with 16GB DDR4 2666MHz vengeance lpx, was also thinking of getting the nh-d14 also, but may just go with the evo 212, are you on windows 10, did all the drivers for your board come on the supplied dvd ?

ya windows 10, i just went to the asus site and downloaded them just will be latest, also there was a newer bios which i flashed

Soldato
OP
Did you install this driver that is in the SATA folder in the download section - Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V14.5.0.1081 , i wont be running raid so im not sure if i need it or not, dont think we need this driver either - Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V2.0.9.1 , unless we use them sata ports ? also there is 16 drivers listed in the Utilities folder aslo, do we need all them as well ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you install this driver that is in the SATA folder in the download section - Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V14.5.0.1081 , i wont be running raid so im not sure if i need it or not, dont think we need this driver either - Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V2.0.9.1 , unless we use them sata ports ? also there is 16 drivers listed in the Utilities folder aslo, do we need all them as well ?

yes i installed Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Asmedia , even if i aint using them ports, drivers are small anyway, installed LAN / USB3 etc , didnt install display as no need and its massive in size , i didnt install any of the utilities , have no need for them and dont really want stuff running in the back ground , i like to keep it as minimum as possible, i set all my case fan control speeds in the bios

Soldato
OP
Thx for reply mate, yeh i dont think i will be installing any of the utilities either, oh, i take it you installed the audio and both of the chipset drivers as well ?

Soldato
Thx for reply mate, yeh i dont think i will be installing any of the utilities either, oh, i take it you installed the audio and both of the chipset drivers as well ?

yup audio / chipset installed, one thing i will tell you good luck with setting up the case fans how you like if you like pc to be silent when idle im a freak to it, im still playing with them

i have 5 case fans, high quality noctua ones , i want them to be very slow when idle , so pc is silent, and load when start doing some tasks,

i had this issue where when i click on a program or do something, it will increase fan fast then slow right down , like its going by the CPU usage and was annoying , im still trying to get the balance right,

the case fans must be going by the board temp sensor as that can spike very high to 50-60c within few secs then drop back down to 30c

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cheers about the fans, i only have 2 case fans, and i think they are 3pin DC only, so i wont have that problem, and my cpu fan is 4 pin, but will just change over to DC also from PWM, was your noctua nh-d14 cpu fan easy to fit, i was thinking of getting that myself, but may just stick with a evo 212, cheers

Soldato
Cheers about the fans, i only have 2 case fans, and i think they are 3pin DC only, so i wont have that problem, and my cpu fan is 4 pin, but will just change over to DC also from PWM, was your noctua nh-d14 cpu fan easy to fit, i was thinking of getting that myself, but may just stick with a evo 212, cheers

you can fully control 3pin DC fans as well, Noctua d14 has 3 Pin fans its a great cooler had it on my amd 8350 for 2 years , my cpu idle is 28c on 6700k, yea found it easy following instructions, even though this is my first intel system so different mounting bits then AMD , i used the asus tool which holds the CPU which makes it easier slotting into socket . pushing the lever back to close it puts a lot of pressure on socket almost seems it will break which was nervy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_aeeZlpGIA

Last edited:
Soldato
Thx for the video, dont see point of the asus tool thou myself, in all my years of placing a chip into socket, i have never found it hard or fiddly, ?

probably easy anyway but no harm in using it, just out of interest, what CPU you gonna use and RAM and Graphics card ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Got two sat here just waiting for the i7's to come in before can get them built up and tested.

I like the gunmetal look of the board, more that my VI Formula colour scheme.

Soldato
OP
nice what other parts you using with it ?

Buying part by part as i can afford it,

Asus Hero VIII = have
i7 6700K = soon
Corsair 200R case = have
1TB Western Digital Black = have
256GB Samsung Evo SSD = have
Evga super nova 850 G2 power supply = have

EVGA SC GTX 780Ti = have, wanted 980ti but way to much money, so got this for a year at least, as im only gaming at 1080P, and it beats the 970 easily and just pips the 980 as well.

16GB RAM = still deciding what to get, may just get the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz

Cooler = deciding, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 or Noctua NH-D14

Soldato
OP
ya windows 10, i just went to the asus site and downloaded them just will be latest, also there was a newer bios which i flashed

Could have you installed ram with spreaders on useing that cooler ? i like the ripjaws ram but could be to high ? with the dh14 cooler, ram i like is 42mm high.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom