Asus matx x99 workstion

Associate
As this is intended as a workstation mobo does that make it less or more suitable for desktop gaming, folding, benching, video encoding, high end play thing, or are there other boards more suited to that role?
Yes my next purchase has to be matx.

Soldato
In standard use the various boards will perform quite similarly across the various duties. Some other boards may however be more geared up for overclocking. It really comes down to the feature set and what is important to you; wi-fi, audio, USB, SLI, etc.

The problem I have with MATX X99 is that, with the exception of ASRock, all the boards have slow M.2 slots. So as a result I'm going Z170 instead.

Associate
OP
That Asus M2 speed does look slow, EVGA do a board with 32gbs M2 transfer speed but I've no experience of their boards how do they compare with Asus?

Soldato
Yes. It has a couple of layout concerns though. The CPU socket is rather close to the first PCIe slot and the USB3 header gets blocked if you have a double width GPU in the second PCIe.

These can be worked around though depending on the cooling you are using.

Also take a look at the ASRock X99M boards. They seem to be better designed, with a good feature set, but perhaps not such a respected brand.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes I've read of those issues this afternoon.
I'm water cooling so think I will get away with cpu slot clearance issue.
Not to worried about the internal usb issue and I believe there is a workaround.
People seem to trust evga and there is now a uk rma centre I believe.

That m2 issue has put me off the Asus board and its pricey.

Asrock was good enough for 8 Packs Lan build so it has to be worthy of consideration but I do like the plainer colour of the Asus and Evga boards.

Back
Top Bottom