Motherboard issue (or something else) with recent build?

Associate
I recently built a computer for a friend with the following parts:

Intel i5-6600K
Asrock Z170 Gaming K6
Teamgroup Vulcan 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 3000Mhz
Asus Strix R9 390
EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

The build is having a lot of random crashes/restarts and blue screens. These however primarily occur when playing games and it is around a 90% chance of happening every 30 minutes or so while playing a game. There is also the issue of the computer cutting out when you press the power button and then starting itself up after 3-5 seconds.

I've updated all relevant drivers (including the BIOS), ran numerous stress tests on all parts (memtest86, intel burn test, furmark, prime95 etc) which have all passed and ran with no issues what so ever. I have taken the build out of the case (to rule out a short circuit) and lay it out and the cutting out still persists. This is after taking out the memory and GPU. The CPU has been reseated, as well as using an alternative power supply which is functioning fine and the cut out issue still persists, leading me to believe it is a faulty motherboard.

BSOD errors include:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (atikmdag.sys)
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (bwcW8x64.sys)

Is there any other suggestions to fix this computer before I go down the path of an RMA on the motherboard?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It could be the motherboard, is the CPU overclocked? What BSOD codes are you getting?

No overclock on the CPU.

BSOD error codes include:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (atikmdag.sys)

OcUK Staff
Remove all OC and try. ie mems at 2133 also etc etc....

Also try a different graphics driver. I had a lot of issues with that Hotfix AMD driver but the previous for me fine.

This is the first option. Use the games that are causing the crash not synthetic tests.

Soldato
RAM with issues can sometimes pass Memtest and stress tests but still throw blue screens and what have you in games or doing just about nothing. Only trying a different kit can help you tell. It's happened to me.

Memtest still useful for when it does find errors, i.e. no need to test another kit, just RMA.

FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom