Problems with connection drops on new computer

Associate
Hello,

I have received my new computer and very happy with it so far, only a couple of issues I need to fix.

The first one is my internet, since getting the new PC I have had random internet disconnections to the PC daily, my internet has always been stable and on my old computer I never had any issues.

I rang my ISP and they said "they could not help as it seems like a computer related issue, and they are only internet technicians"...

So I am here :) Please let me know what information you need to help me sort out this very annoying issue.

Cheers.

Soldato
What MB do you have and does any errors display in the Event Viewer? I have this problem on my Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK.

I've tried loads of Google search feedback. None so far have worked. Don't hold your breath that a brand new network card will work. I recently had delivered an Intel Gigabit PRO 1000CT PCIe Desktop Adapter and I am still receiving errors, I also disabled the onboard network through the BIOS.

I think it is more to do with settings within Windows or settings on the LAN card. Try changing DNS settings to either Open DNS or Google.

Soldato
Do you connect direct to the router or via homeplugs?

I have a Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK as well and get random drops for about 5 mins at a time about 6 times a day. I attributed it to the circuits in this house (via homeplugs) as I do not recall a problem before we moved and when it was direct to router just after we moved.

Soldato
Intresting you bring this up. I have the Virgin SuperHub 2 set in Modem mode and I use a ASUS RT-AC68U for my router. My homeplugs are Devolo 1200+.

My PC is in my bedroom, connected via the homeplugs. Family PC when that used to be connected via Ethernet, was connected to the router and I don't remmeber any disconnections then.

However, I did used to have some Devolo 500 homeplugs which connected my PS4, X360 and PC via ethernet through the homeplugs but I don't remmeber the consoles ever having connection issues.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses.

I think it's been sorted for now, have not had an issue for a few days, seemed like it might of been an issue in the hub manager itself for having the wrong details stored on the new computer compared to the old one.

First I reset the router.

Then I went into the hub management and changed my broadband username to the same as the one my ISP (plusnet) originally gave me (not sure why it was different), then changed my wireless password and input that into the new connection.

As I say for now seems to be working ok, and just to make sure I got my ISP to send me a new router :D

Soldato
I've done a little more searching and come across something else which you may or may not have tried.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/299357 download this and install EasyFix. I'm unsure if this will work as I'm waiting to see if my connection holds out.

I tried this the other day. Had 1 drop yesterday for about 3 minutes. Not noticed anything otherwise.

Issued still unresolved, will see what its like after we move in a few months as I think we're probably sticking with Virgin.

Soldato
I tried this the other day. Had 1 drop yesterday for about 3 minutes. Not noticed anything otherwise.

Issued still unresolved, will see what its like after we move in a few months as I think we're probably sticking with Virgin.

I think our issue is down to the noise interfering with the connection. I've been running InternetConnectivityMonitor for most of today and just had my PC running in the background.

I was pinging the websites Google and Steam Store every 5 seconds. Over the course off today, using Ethernet. I've had a reported 42 connection drops. The internet didn't always become affected (i.e. I didn't always get logged out of Steam). So I tried a USB wireless adapter I have spare and while that was running, I received zero connection drops. Once I moved back to Ethernet though, the problem returned. :(

Now I'm considering buying this wireless card; Asus PCE-AC68 802.11ac Dual-band Wireless AC1900 PCI-E Adaptor £68.99. This should (fingers crossed) work, as it only need to travel directly up through one floor.

Back
Top Bottom