Whats the worst thing that happened to you when building your PC?

Permabanned
What's the worst thing thats ever happened to you when building a PC? faulty hardware? Something broke(fracture/snapped in half) ? spilt your drink all over it? lets hear your story?

Soldato
cpu cooler mount clip snapped under pressure that resulted in fried cpu, it was one of those early days socket A super hot athlons.

fast forward to a year ago, the same thing happened on my old core 2 duo build and i didn't even realise anything was amiss until i noticed slow downs when watching videos then went to check cpu temp.

pc parts are pretty much bomb proof these days, you have to be a complete utter tool to **** things up.

Soldato
Hmm..

Crushing a Thunderbird core with a ham-fisted attempt to attach the cooler resulting in smoke and dead motherboard and CPU.

Trying to ventilate an old case by cutting 80mm holes in the side for fans. When using a hole-saw I went waaaay too quickly resulting in more smoke, burning paint and a warped case side.

Not realising an AGP card had a retention clip at the back. Yanked it out removing the AGP slot from the board.

Installing Windows on someone else's machine. I didn't bother disconnecting all his other drives and ended up formatting the wrong one.

These are just off the top of my head. All happened in the early days of me starting to build machines. Learnt from every mistake though. Every mistake learnt from gives you an 'inkling'. 10 x 'inklings' = a 'clue'. 5 x 'clues' = a 'good idea' etc, etc :)

Soldato
First build i ever did i went in blind because I was ignorant. Put the motherboard in without an risers, blamed the fact that it nowhere near matched the IO port on fact I bought a cheap case.

Plugged everything in, didn't power up "strangely". Started sticking my hand in and fiddling about until i decided to watch a Youtube vid and realised it does need risers. Everything worked fine afterwards, all of it still does work even though i shorted it for a good 10 mins maybe.

I've also broke PCI clips, Mobo Headers, Sata ports from my misuse of brute force.

Also when i was in primary school one of my friends came back to my house for the first time and my hamster was dead. Unrelated, but I thought you would like to know.

Soldato
The only thing bad I can remember is about 4-5 years ago I was home late from work and desperate to build my new HTPC rig. I was in such a rush, I slipped with a screw driver and put a tiny scratch on the side of the outside of the case where the fan was being installed.

Luckilly when the HTPC was in position you couldn't see the scratch. I still have that case in its original box in my loft :D

I had lots of fun and games removing/installing socket A heatsinks but never did any damage to the hardware, my finger nails on the other hand...

Soldato
Using a cheap case.

You know the ones, they cost under 40 quid and don't always look too terrible, but you have to bend and snap bits of metal to get things to fit.

You'd be safer putting your hand through a pane of glass!

Also, chancing a h110 cooler to fit in my Bit Fenix Shinobi XL. those 140mm fans do not attach to the top of the case, both were quite new at the time so not much info around, to make matters worse I put a screw right through the rad so I couldn't just return it damn thing! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Trusted the rain forest website to correctly advertise case motherboard size compatibility and not checking for myself and then having to snap the clip of a nzxt phantom (original one) he clip being the one that sits over the psu, the motherboard went right to the bottom of the case :D and I externally mounted the psu untill a haf x arrived :)

Soldato
The only thing bad I can remember is about 4-5 years ago I was home late from work and desperate to build my new HTPC rig. I was in such a rush, I slipped with a screw driver and put a tiny scratch on the side of the outside of the case where the fan was being installed.

Luckilly when the HTPC was in position you couldn't see the scratch. I still have that case in its original box in my loft :D

I had lots of fun and games removing/installing socket A heatsinks but never did any damage to the hardware, my finger nails on the other hand...

You put a scratch in a case? You don't get to join the 'Idiot' club with that..

Back
Top Bottom