Looking at building another computer...

Associate
Hi guys,

Just wondering if you could help me.

I'm looking to build another computer that's built for gaming.

Ideally it'll have an i5 processor and atleast 8g ram. I'd like a good gfx card, but not sure what's best.

I have a budget of £500 give or take (not including monitor, mouse or keyboard).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Associate
For £500 do you need case psu and hard drive?

Budget is a bit low for a full on gaming pc, but if you only need board, cpu memory and gpu for £500 then you can get something half decent.

With the latest nvidia gpu just being released you may do better waiting for a bit or buying second hand.

Associate
OP
Yeah, that's all in. I don't need it to be insanely good, I just want the best gaming comp possible for that price.

I managed to build mine for around 360 (not including gfx) and would like something similar (if possible).

Associate
I just want to post a comment regarding the graphics card in your basket. I have been trying to get myself aware of all the technology that goes into a computer. I want to get a gaming computer myself as well, but everyone has lately recommended Nvidia cards, I do have a AMD Radeon 7950HD but I am looking at getting a new system all together with intel processor instead of AMD (Have currently the AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor). Is there any advice you could give me to upgrade my system?

Soldato
That looks nice man. Is that the best I'm going to get for that sort of money?

I'd say if new, yes. That spec is a decent gaming rig for 1080p. Just upgrade the card later on if you want even more oomph.

@ Colossus20 - the 380 4GB is generally performing better in games than the 960 4GB. For advice on ugrading, start a new thread and list all the parts.

Associate
OP
I'd say if new, yes. That spec is a decent gaming rig for 1080p. Just upgrade the card later on if you want even more oomph.

@ Colossus20 - the 380 4GB is generally performing better in games than the 960 4GB. For advice on ugrading, start a new thread and list all the parts.

I bought a second hand card for myself, but not overly impressed with it as it often pixelates my screen when gaming. However, what would you recommend if I were to get a second hand one with a budget of 150?

Soldato
I bought a second hand card for myself, but not overly impressed with it as it often pixelates my screen when gaming. However, what would you recommend if I were to get a second hand one with a budget of 150?

Second-hand 290/390/970. But I'd probably settle for a new 380 4GB instead, unless the second-hand card had at least a year of warranty left. I'd even pay a bit over £150 for an EVGA 970 as those have transferrable warranty. But that's just me. Some like taking more risks, and it can pay off. Or not. :)

Associate
OP
Second-hand 290/390/970. But I'd probably settle for a new 380 4GB instead, unless the second-hand card had at least a year of warranty left. I'd even pay a bit over £150 for an EVGA 970 as those have transferrable warranty. But that's just me. Some like taking more risks, and it can pay off. Or not. :)

So you reckon that spec ^ is the best I'll get for my money?

Soldato
Yes.

Can chop and change a few bits to get 380X, if you like.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £526.60
(includes shipping: £11.70)

One stick of 2133 RAM as the board has just two slots. Can add another stick later on if needed.

Case is a bit basic though. Still, it's practically free with that PSU, so no loss if you decide to rebuild in a different case later.

Can also spend £10 extra for a Sapphire or XFX 380X, or an Asus with 3-year warranty.

Associate
OP
Yes.

Can chop and change a few bits to get 380X, if you like.

Total: £526.60
(includes shipping: £11.70)

One stick of 2133 RAM as the board has just two slots. Can add another stick later on if needed.

Case is a bit basic though. Still, it's practically free with that PSU, so no loss if you decide to rebuild in a different case later.

Can also spend £10 extra for a Sapphire or XFX 380X, or an Asus with 3-year warranty.

Which case would you recommend? I wouldn't mind spending a little extra if it's worthwhile - like a 3 year warranty.

Associate
OP
Danny's spec is perfect IMO. Worth the extra £11 for the Asus 380X though.

Had some experience with this case and it's fine - good build quality overall.

I presume that latest basket contains the Asus 380X? I'm double checking before I purchase, that's all.

Soldato
You previously mentioned the case was a bit basic, what would you recommend instead of that?

If you were spending around £20-25 extra for case and PSU, I guess feature-wise the Aerocool Aero 500 is hard to beat at budget-level.

May as well get a PSU with a tad more juice at the same time.

Total: £180.81
(includes shipping: £15.90)

Back
Top Bottom