PC restarts when put under load

Associate
Hi guys, I've recently upgraded my system to a skylake build, and I'm having issues with the PC suddenly shutting off, and then restarting. It only happens under load, such as when playing games, but will run fine for hours and hours of web browsing etc. I've removed all overclocks, yet the issue persists.

I'm thinking that this is most likely a power supply problem, but I don't have a spare one to test. My specs are in my sig and my current PSU is a Seasonic X-750
Opinions?

Associate
OP
Ok, I tried that and everything seemed ok with the limited testing time I've had so far. It completed firestrike, as well as a few minutes of both GTA5 and pCars, which would cause it to shut off before. I would guess that my PSU can't keep up with the power demand anymore and that I should just replace it

Associate
I guess its the power supply and it cant give enough power or its just screwed. Try to calculate your power needs first before going out and getting another PSU. Your powersupply is 750W and 80% efficient, so 600W can be supplied to the PC. 2x 980GTX card is already around 350W(175W each according to web search) usage at high load, and then the CPU, harddisks, etc on top, so just try to work out what all these components use and buy a PSU that can supply more than needed.

Associate
OP
This calculator shows a load wattage of roughly 606w at standard and around 769w with overclocks applied - I had no idea it increased by that amount. I guess some of the new components for this build just pushed it over the stability threshold

Back
Top Bottom