Caporegime
Hello.

I have an:

Intel 5930k
Asus X99s
16GB Ram
Geforce Titan X SLI
Windows 10

Literally not had any problems with it for over a year. Stable as anything. Was even fine this morning as I was playing DOOM for 2 hours.

Now my girlfriend was in it earlier doing some eBay selling and it rebooted to a black screen whilst she was using it. I thought it might be the camera she had connected via USB but I disconnected that and now its randomly restarting or powering down within 5-10 minutes of turning it on.

I had Hardware monitor on and all the temperatures looked normal.

Any ideas what could possibly happen within 6 hours to make it go bad? Is there an event log I can look at to see what could be causing the problem?

PSU is a Super flower Leadex Platinum 1200w and is only 18 months old, so should be more than capable of powering it.

Associate
Have a look in Event Viewer to see if there's anything unusual. You'll undoubtedly have a bunch of Kernel 41 errors, which basically say the system has shut down unexpectedly, but you should also have some other errors logged. Even though it's not BSODing, something like whocrashed might give you some info.

Have you had any power cuts/surges recently? That could potentially have damaged something. If it's actually fully powering down and turning itself off rather than rebooting, then I would consider a hardware issue more likely than software.

Although the PSU is only 18 months old and is a decent model, it could have developed a fault - which is why I asked about power cuts etc.

Caporegime
OP
Temps ok? something (think AIO water cooler pump) hasnt just stopped working? thus temps increase over time and the system shuts down to be safe.

Yes, everything looks fine. CPU does't go above 60°C under load!

Have you had any power cuts/surges recently? That could potentially have damaged something. If it's actually fully powering down and turning itself off rather than rebooting, then I would consider a hardware issue more likely than software.

Although the PSU is only 18 months old and is a decent model, it could have developed a fault - which is why I asked about power cuts etc.

No power surges that I am aware of. I agree it seems to be hardware related and does look like the PSU could be the culprit.

Caporegime
OP
Re: WhoCrashed

I am getting this error message when trying to start the program

Ordinal_error.jpg

Could this be related?

Caporegime
OP
Test #1

Have pulled out Primary GPU, am using secondary GPU and I also pulled the USB 3.0 header from the mobo (as that links to the front USB ports my girlfriend was using)

Also sucked the dust away from the filter around the PSU, in case the PSU wasn't able to vent heat.

Shall see what happens.

Caporegime
OP
Played DOOM for 20-25 minutes and thought it was cured but then that froze up.

PC didn't restart automatically this time though, just was stuck with my last moments of DOOM on the screen and Ctrl-alt-del did nothing.

So....it lasted longer but still froze up.

DOOM doesn't use SLI so in effect because I was using my secondary Titan X, I was using a different GPU (the primary GPU is used normally when no SLI profile we exists.), Which I think rules out either of the Titan X's.

Still thinking it's a power issue.

Back
Top Bottom