£400 pound budget to upgrade current setup....

Associate
My current setup is due a little upgrade, i have around £400 to spend.
i Currently have...
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard.
i5-2400 31 GHZ CPU.
8GB ram

I dont need to upgrade my pc monitor, keyboards or case ect. I play almost any game, currently Playing ARK, Star citizen WOW. Any help would be great :) i game a lot and im looking into video editing on some of my game play at a later date.

CHeers again.

Soldato
power suppy is 800w and my case is a nzxt h440. Also i forgot to put that i have the AMD R9200 Graphics card lol .

Im not wanting the AMD cards im thinking nvidia cards lol.

Which r9 200 series do you have? 270/280/280x/290/290x/290x2?

I'd consider upgrading the framework then expanding from there, sell your GPU save another £100 and pick up a GTX 1060.. This option gives you all the benefits of skylake and DDR4 as well as acquiring the socket for a future powerhouse CPU with the LGA1151 socket. But not to take anything away from the i5-6400.. it won't bottle neck any GPU as far as i am aware, and your PSU sounds more than ample for even an SLI config..

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £366.91
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
How is my current motherboard, is it good enough to get the 1060 and then some ram. I am thinking of 16GB Ram rather than the 8GB. Its been a while and havnt been keeping up to date with things lol :p

The motherboard is fine, but it is now over 4 years old with a socket LGA 1155 and will start showing it's age shortly.. My rig has a ASRock Fatal1ty-M professional Z77 which is also an LGA 1155 but with an i7-2600.

Almost all modern i5/i7 computers use the LGA 1151 socket or LGA 2011-v3

Right now the best CPU you could put in your motherboard is an i7-3770k if my memory serves which is a fantastic CPU. But for your budget you would see a huge improvement overall upgrading the motherboard/CPU/RAM over just adding a new graphics card.

most game's wont use more than 7.5gb of ram even maxed out at 1440p so gaming wise 8gb is perfectly fine, but if you are planning on streaming or having anything else open in the background during gameplay you would see a huge benefit in 16gb.

And right now the GTX 1060 is a fantastic card that is on par with the GTX 980, and at a competative price.

Soldato
Depending on what gpu you currently have, I would suggest a is 3770k plus a 1060.
You get performance increase in both gaming and video editing while staying in budget.

Associate
OP
so if i was to look at things individually where is the best place to start lol when i last upgraded about 4/5 years ago i would say i spent 500 on it.

If i was to do it in stages what is best to get first as i find it would be easier to do it that way rather than have a set budget. I got £400 now but could upgrade the next few months once been payed so around 100 i could spend on smaller components. I have other commitments like family and work so a set budget could change lol

Soldato
so if i was to look at things individually where is the best place to start lol when i last upgraded about 4/5 years ago i would say i spent 500 on it.

If i was to do it in stages what is best to get first as i find it would be easier to do it that way rather than have a set budget. I got £400 now but could upgrade the next few months once been payed so around 100 i could spend on smaller components. I have other commitments like family and work so a set budget could change lol

I wouldn't personally recommend upgrading your CPU to the 3770k because you wouldn't see a huge upgrade, but at least if you buy the following you have a PC that will be future proof for at least a few years.

re-use your case and hard-drives unless you really need to change them but honestly i'd save up £600 and go with this:

Total: £602.90

If you aren't planning on pushing crazy high specs or playing at 1440p/4k then i'd consider an AMD option GPU too.

Total: £555.90

Soldato
No need to upgrade the platform, a 3770k or even a 2600k/2700k will be a great upgrade. Then overclock.

What to upgrade really depends on what GPU you currently have. And why not AMD cards?

Associate
I would upgrade the cpu/mobo/ram and get an ssd.

only because i'm assuming your current gpu is handling your gaming

Total: £429.90

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't personally recommend upgrading your CPU to the 3770k because you wouldn't see a huge upgrade, but at least if you buy the following you have a PC that will be future proof for at least a few years.

re-use your case and hard-drives unless you really need to change them but honestly i'd save up £600 and go with this:

Total: £602.90

If you aren't planning on pushing crazy high specs or playing at 1440p/4k then i'd consider an AMD option GPU too.

Total: £555.90

Hello definitely see a bigger difference in gaming performance by upgrading gpu to something like a 1070/980ti even if he's gpu is a r9 290, it'll more than double their fps. Whereas changing platform will gain very little in terms of gaming performance and even then the 3770k will be a couple of percentage behind new platform.

Associate
OP
So the question is now....which to get lol.

There is so many to pick from, so my situation is now get the card and then upgrade the rest when i come into some money. Im thinking 1060/1070, i dont need to use the full £400 on the card so saving some pennys will be good haha.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom