How the hell to stop the upgrade itch?

Soldato
I like to upgrade (don't we all) but I don't really have any reason to, I'll have my GTX 1070 tomorrow but I still feel like getting a 6700k, even though Zen and Kaby are around the corner. How do I stop myself from wanting the upgrade even though I'm kinda happy with what I have :(

Soldato
OP
overclock that 3570k more :p 4.3ghz is slow :)

Yeah I was considering that but I'm already running 1.3v with all energy savings off and I can't get it much further than that without increasing the heat heavily.

Why dont you buy a 3770k ? Upgrade done and will last until something you want comes along

Thought about it but finding it difficult to get one at a good price! What I'd like to do most is upgrade the RAM to 2x8GB 2400mhz but I feel stupid putting money into an old build that could be used for a whole skylake (6700k) system for around £500. Suppose 3770k with 2400mhz RAM would be like a new system though...

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I was considering that but I'm already running 1.3v with all energy savings off and I can't get it much further than that without increasing the heat heavily.

Thought about it but finding it difficult to get one at a good price! What I'd like to do most is upgrade the RAM to 2x8GB 2400mhz but I feel stupid putting money into an old build that could be used for a whole skylake (6700k) system for around £500. Suppose 3770k with 2400mhz RAM would be like a new system though...

I think they gone up in value from when i got one. I would just keep an eye out as you can come across some good deals.

Soldato
Im the opposite now, i cant make my mind up on upgrading my titan black sli to a 1070 or a 1080 as i cant get excited about adding more fps to some taxing games. And i think my rest of the system will be ok for a good 3 more years.
The only thing that has peaked my interest is a possible super widescreen monitor with gysnc and native 144hz from lg thats out next year.

Soldato
OP
Im the opposite now, i cant make my mind up on upgrading my titan black sli to a 1070 or a 1080 as i cant get excited about adding more fps to some taxing games. And i think my rest of the system will be ok for a good 3 more years.
The only thing that has peaked my interest is a possible super widescreen monitor with gysnc and native 144hz from lg thats out next year.

I like the idea on that new monitor, I kinda wish I had G-Sync but I got Freesync as I last had a R9 290 :(

I think you will be fine with your setup unless you wanted to sell the Titan' you have now for a GTX 1080 then maybe add another later on?

Make a budget.

Work out how much money you need to not starve.

Give the rest to me.

I will bear the burden of your excess cash.

I never really have a budget just price to performance...

Soldato
To be honest,your system as is right now paired with the 1070 should be able to handle pretty much anything with good results.

I've had my system in sig for some time now,Still it performs very good.

Soldato
OP
Get that sucker delidded! There's a chap who'll do it for £15 if you provide the paste.

I could do it myself but I'm not risking it, I'm going to be keeping this as a backup PC anyway even when I do upgrade. It's nice to be able to have a test bench for other parts that are playing up.

Associate
easy. tell your gf/wife/whatever how much that gpu cost

she'll cut your cards up for you

I just bought an x34 and there's no way she's finding out how much that was

Associate
Im at the stage where I want to get rid of my 970 but just cant decide what to go for on a budget.
Im running an i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz, 16gb 2400Mhz ram,128gb M2 system drive, 250 850 evo for steam and a 2tb seagate as a storage drive Im happy with my monitor and everything else but after having a shot of my mates 780ti in my system while my 970 was getting replaced I realised how bad the 970 is..

Im tempted on looking for a bargain 980ti to drop into my system.

Soldato
OP
Im at the stage where I want to get rid of my 970 but just cant decide what to go for on a budget.
Im running an i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz, 16gb 2400Mhz ram,128gb M2 system drive, 250 850 evo for steam and a 2tb seagate as a storage drive Im happy with my monitor and everything else but after having a shot of my mates 780ti in my system while my 970 was getting replaced I realised how bad the 970 is..

Im tempted on looking for a bargain 980ti to drop into my system.

I'd go for the GTX 1070 because you can get one for not much more than a 980ti + you get new driver support, 8GB VRAM, better overclocking and better VR support along with a higher resale value. The system you have is very well rounded with no shortfalls all you need to do is get a better GPU ;)

At least upgrading the GPU isn't just adding to a dead end motherboard.

Soldato
Get older.:D

Once you do, buying stuff for no reason becomes easy.

Take my rig for instance, I could easily spend £500 tomorrow on upgrading to a Skylake i7, New Mobo & 16GB of DDR4.

..bur for what? Spending £500 for an average extra 5-10% performance in gaming makes no sense whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom