Double build check

Associate
So I have had the itch to build something new for quite some time now. Me and my better half both enjoy games, although I think she is usually more interested in the newer titles than I am! Games such as the Witcher 3 are currently being played.

So since her build is already struggling to keep up and mine has aged well but is getting on, the time is now to sell on and get something else. It would be nice to keep them the same to avoid any bickering. After having a discussion there is a few things we both agree on.

The desk we share is 2 meters wide which isn't huge but it would be nice to get both cases on the top rather than the carpet. This has led to trying to keep the computer pretty small and the slim design is quite appealing.

The budget is around £1500 but can stretch up to £2k if needed. I'd rather have it right the first time than having to add too much later on. Both will be used primarily for games and won't be stretched much further. At the moment the monitors are going to be 1080p although having some headroom to move to 1440p would be great.

No peripherals needed and windows won't need to be included in the budget. So this is what I have come up with. As I hope you can see everything is doubled already.

Anything missing or blindingly obvious improvements?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,683.78
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
If you are not planning to overclock then go with a cheaper board.

Something like this for example:

Total: £57.89
(includes shipping: £9.90)

I would also up the Ram to 16GB.

Total: £77.69
(includes shipping: £8.70)

And maybe go for the 8GB version of the RX 480.

Total: £249.95

Associate
OP
I am definitely onboard (excuse the pun) with the cheaper motherboard! The ram might be worth it for the long run and isn't a huge amount more.

Do you think upping to 8GB on the card is going to be worth the increase in price?

Soldato
Associate
OP
Thanks for the article it's a good read. It seems that there is overall minimal difference in the majority of games that justify an extra £50. At that point I feel it might be worth going right to the top end of the budget and getting something like the 980ti or 1070 even instead?

Soldato
How about this.

i5-6600k for overclocking. 16GB RAM. Figured you could reuse your existing HDDs for volume storage, so have gone for 240GB SSD drives.

ATX case and board, case being only 50mm wider than your original selection. There are also a few different variants of this case, black, white or gunmetal, windowed or not, so there is a bit of choice there on how you want it to look on your desk.

Total: £1,707.68

Some of the case variants in that model:

I can vouch for the case I have one myself. 2 fans, good ariflow, nice to build in.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd go for ITX, not mATX. The Coolermaster CM110 scored major points with my sister-in-law, as did a full-length Silverstone ITX case.

I wouldn't bother with 1440p right now; just go for 4K next time around and remember that you can always game at 1080p on a 4K monitor.

OCUK don't sell Coolermaster cases so I've specced the Silverstone:

Total: £1,447.68

With your budget, you could go for a better PSU and CPU.

Associate
OP
I would go for your suggestion danlightbulb but the case is a little too big sadly. The one i originally used was even slightly too large. I sadly also can't keep any hard drives as they will be going out with the old.

The compact case is nice Quartz although I can't say I am a fan of the aesthetic. Perhaps something such as this but with similar parts inside? It might allow for slightly larger GPU's also I think.

Total: £85.49
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
The compact case is nice Quartz although I can't say I am a fan of the aesthetic.

I strongly suggest you get spousal buy-in whichever case you use.

The Silverstone case can fit full-length GPUs. I just specced a short one in case you chose the Cooler Master Elite 110. I can't link to competitor sites.

Associate
OP
This is unfortunate. I was hoping no one would ever notice.

I have spoken to the other half and neither cube case will do. Although the Cooler Master did look promising I think the slim models are the way to go. Possibly the Silverstone Raven if anyone has experience of this?

Back
Top Bottom