PC turned off and now won't POST

Associate
So I left my PC, came back a few minutes later and it was off. So I turned it back on, and straight away turned off again and back on in a loop, trying to turn on but turning off straight away, turning just enough time for my fan LEDs to turn on and my HDD to click. I then tried to see if it was plugged into the wall socket properly, I then turned it back on and it seemed to boot up, although I suspect that was because I had left it off for a few seconds. However it did not post, everything gets powered up but there is a red CPU LED (I think it is the CPU LED), and 00 was shown on the two LED segments.

I will list the component below, but I have a P9X79 Pro with a 3930k, that I have not yet overclocked with a AX860, that is a replacement for my AX850 that died two years ago on the same system. Things to note are that the system was a bit dusty but the CPU fan wasn't on full load, that the system was idle when it powered off and that I was loading it with CS:GO just minutes before.

P9X79 Pro with the latest BIOS but with a older Intel RAID module
3930k with a Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme not overclocked
16GB of DDR3 2133, Blue Ripjaws I think

Associate
OP
It could be a dodgy PSU. This can happen if the PSU can't provide enough power or has blown.

It is a AX860, one of the best PSUs you can get, and is only 2 years old. But that is what I am thinking, that the PSU has taken out the rest of my system, can't think of why a CPU or motherboard failure would cause the system to turn on and off and for the problem to start while idle.

Associate
OP
You could do the paperclip test on the psu to rule out if its faulty or not.

The thing is that the system is now powering everything on, it's just the system is not working. I do have a multimeter that I got to test a previous PSU, I hadn't had very good luck with PSUs, 2011 my PSU died, 2014 my PSU died and now maybe again in 2016.

Associate
OP

I think they recently increased all warrantees to 10 years.

So I was re-flashing my bios, didn't work, when I noticed above the LED segments in the bottom left hand corner some black matter that shouldn't be there. It was stuck to the motherboard, sort of looked like something had melted, so I pushed it with a piece of cardboard and it came off. I have no idea what it is, but it might have done damage to the motherboard, will need to take a high resolution picture of it. I have no idea what it is or where it came from, logically it can only either me part of a spider or something that got into the system(although I think that is unlikely) or from the system itself.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
There seems to be metal on the melted plastic, and maybe a pin on one of the chips missing. I pressed the cmos button but it didn't solve the problem, it did however cause the system to try and turn on.

Associate
OP
Everything I said about the PSU I take back. That mobo looks it has been melted. Did something fall inside and short it out?

Don't think so, I think a chip has melted and expanded. You can see that in the images, it would also explain why the system was turning on and off and now isn't, since it was still melting. I just didn't notice until the next day.

Associate
Looks like the caps have leaked so hopefully its just your motherboard that needs replacing. The slug looking thing is dielectric fluid from the caps thats run through to the underside and solidified.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom