Custom Build - Budget £1300

Associate
Hi All

Need some advice from you experiened folk, I made this PC in 2010, it still ticks a lot of boxes for me but I think I want a new system now. Here is what I currently have.

Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366)
Asus GeForce GTX 460 1024MB DirectCU GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel
Antec TruePower New Modular 750W Power Supply
Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two Ultimate Gaming Case - Black
Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom CPU Cooler

Can any of the above be used in a new build?

I want to upgrade for the following reasons,

* Fans are pretty loud and i want to switch to a water cooled PC now, I want the PC to be almost soundless as its in my bedroom at present.
* Want to game at 120hz or 144hz so need a very good monitor/graphics card.
* Want to learn how to game develop using unreal engine in my spare time so need lots of ram?

Its been 6 years since I have done any research on custom pc builds so I am very out the loop. Everything looks Alien to me right now. Can I have some suggestions on whats best for me to do?

My Budget needs to cover basically everything, all pc parts if none can be taken from the above, SSD required? high end 120hz or 144hz monitor with very low input lag, a gaming/editing keyboard, gaming/editing mouse, I will only need one screen and will be using my 50 inch tv as my secondary screen for movies. I am not sure about size as I have always played games on my 50 inch TV, What do most people game with?

Please do include everything i will need, wires, fans, thermal paste etc Ideally id only like to spend 1k, but as the screen is included im happy to push more if its worth it. Sorry If I have missed any important info.

On my previous base, what do you think I should do with it? is it worth selling the parts.

Associate
Afraid I dont have time to do a full system spec but here is some advice.

the i7 930 is actually not that bad but the lack of fast storage options might be worth the upgrade. I think that board has sata 6GB/s so you might be able to get a SATA3 ssd and save having to sell the mobo/cpu.

triple channel memory is no longer a thing so buying two doubles or a double and a single is your option there. should be able to get pretty high capacity though.

power supply should be fine to keep.

cpu cooler might be fine to keep depending on what you end up going for.

You'll need to decide what resolution you want on the monitor, 1080p or 1440p.

Do you want an all in one (AIO) or a custom loop. Difference in cost and scope is quite different and will likely determine what you should do with cpu and mobo.

I would probably buy new ram, monitor, case, GPU, AIO and an SSD and keep the rest. Should allow you to get some good performance. And overclock the cpu.

Somebody may well suggest a full build and that wouldn't be bad either but might have to do some tactical budget squeezing.

Back
Top Bottom