Samsung Series 5 NP550P5C, Adding an SSD?

Soldato
Just picked one of these up, it's brilliant so far.

The 1tb HDD it comes with is only a 5400rpm version. This will not do.

Is it possible on this model to lose the optical drive and add an SSD? I've heard it's best to do this by moving the original HDD to the optical bay in an adapter thingy, and then install the SSD where the current HDD normally lives.

Has anybody done this in this particular model?

Associate
I am thinking off picking this model up on monday morning, I am sure there is room for another HD allowing 2 internal hds.

Kenneth.

PS did a google about and found people saying to install a ssd either loose internal hdd and keep optical drive or loose optical drive and keep both internally.

going to have to fing out If I have made my mind up to purchase this on monday morning.

the chipset in this is a HM76 which Provides up to six SATA ports with up to two ports supporting 6 Gb/s transfer rates.

source;

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/mobile-chipset-hm76.html

soo two ports suppporting 6 Gb/s then the ssd with 6 Gb/s will give this laptop a biig increase in boot times and access times.

only 2 * 4gb memory max 8gb in this laptop.

Have you opened yours up? to look inside were the hard drive is ?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I believe the 17" version has space for 2 internal hard drives, but the 15" only has room for one by the looks of it.

I believe they do indeed have SATA3 only, which is a nice bonus. Are you certain that's the right chipset? Looks promising. Cheers. :)

As for the laptop, I strongly recommend it. The build quality is great, sound quality (for a laptop) is excellent, screen is average, but easily good enough. Only let down IMO is that the HDD is only 5400rpm, it greats a noticeable bottleneck.

I got this for £630 instead of £900. If you google "SAMSUNG Series 5 NP550P5C 15.6" Laptop" then you should find that one of the top links is to a well known high street chain of computer selling people who wear purple shirts and force extra cover down your neck as soon as you walk through the door. I got that one. :p

Back
Top Bottom