Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

daz

daz

Soldato
I've been following the http://www.raspberrypi.org/ progress over the last few months and it looks like it's going to be a fantastic product. An ARM based linux computer in a credit card sized form factor, with decent I/O options.

Now whilst this is intended to have educational applications (they want it so they can kit out classes for ~$1000) I think I'll be using it to replace an ageing P3 based home server. :p

daz

daz

Soldato
OP
Should be available in November I think they're aiming for. Some of the videos and screenshots they have of the hardware running Ubuntu and Quake 3 are really impressive. :)

Soldato
sounds nice, I've seen some shots and read some articles,
it looks like it will be lots (2/3x) more than they hope for when it first comes out

Soldato
It looks very nice, I can see myself buying one if the price stays at 25-30 pound here in the uk. I'll be honest, I'm not 100% what I'd actually use it for, home nas/media server perhaps?

Associate
Saw this a while ago and have been following it. Looks amazing. The Quake 3 @ 1080p demo was impressive considering it pulls less than 1W @ full load! IIRC the GPU can process 1GPixels/sec :eek: It also does hardware video decoding so XBMC would be very cool on it :cool:

Soldato
10/100 ethernet and a hdmi port are about all you need for a htpc. Network attached storage somewhere else, and this as a tiny board screwed into the back of the TV. Hard not to buy one really.

Soldato
What distribution will it run? Can it handle a keyboard and mouse? Can it run gnome 3?

I could then connect to the gui over lan and it would run fine?

Could it run Debain?

I think they plan on shipping it with Ubuntu's ARM variant. If Debian has an ARM port, then sure thing. I'm hoping to get one running Arch and just leave it on permanently. :)

Soldato
It runs (or is currently running) Debian (standard kernel).

"It doesn’t need a proprietary kernel. If you read the FAQ more carefully, you’ll see that it runs with a vanilla Debian install. The other distros are also working with us; Ubuntu have decided not to participate because of the ARM issue, but everyone else has boards or has boards on the way to them, and will be supporting them."

Soldato
Slightly more power, and a way to connect hard drives and this would make an ideal file server.
I hope this project takes of, getting more kids into hardware and programming is just what we need in this country.

Soldato
It runs (or is currently running) Debian (standard kernel).

"It doesn’t need a proprietary kernel. If you read the FAQ more carefully, you’ll see that it runs with a vanilla Debian install. The other distros are also working with us; Ubuntu have decided not to participate because of the ARM issue, but everyone else has boards or has boards on the way to them, and will be supporting them."

What ARM issue is this? I thought Ubuntu were aggressively perusing an ARM arch at the moment. They have a very swanky build farm: http://hackaday.com/2011/06/12/how-canonical-automates-linux-package-compilation/

Back
Top Bottom