How broken is windows update for W7 users?

Soldato
Installed 7 on 3 PC's over the last week including my own and it's taking hours to even pickup updates. What have Microsoft done and why?

Currently using WSUS offline but even that is taking hours making the process rather irritating. :confused:

Man of Honour
Seems pretty broken for me - I've some machines that no matter how long I leave them or whatever I try just won't update short of manually installing everything and others that update (usually after trying something suggested in one of the recent threads) but often take a very long time.

Man of Honour
It took me the best part of two weeks to update my laptop and then one night last week it finally picked up the latest updates. That "convenience" rollup does not include this months updates. My laptop picked up a further 24 updates (21 important and 3 optional) after trying the rollup.

Soldato
OP
So I set the convenience update running last night at 9:45, went to bed to get up for work this morning and it was in exactly the same state as it was last night, not a single update identified or even installed in over 8 hours.

Grrrr.

Associate
What's going on with these updates? Trying to install win 7 and it just won't update. Tried the link above and I get a message saying 'it does not apply to this pc'!

Soldato
OP
What's going on with these updates? Trying to install win 7 and it just won't update. Tried the link above and I get a message saying 'it does not apply to this pc'!

Been trying to update my newly built HTPC now since 29th. As a test I just left the machine for the last 48 hours in a 'checking for updates' state. I looked at it this morning and its still checking for updates and hasn't installed a single one.

I've just cancelled it and given up as I'm obvioulsy not really bothered about security. :confused: :mad:

Soldato

You need an update before you can install the roll up. Havent got the exact details to hand but I googled it and it pointed me at the prerequisite update.

Even with the faffing doing that, doing the roll up and then getting the post roll up installs, it was much quicker than just doing 200 odd updates.

Associate
Associate
Use autopatcher,
http://www.autopatcher.net/forum/

the official fixes for win7 update are ****, I have tried them all, same crap every time, win update just searches for about 2 hours, downloads about 6GB to c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution and then tells me there is 1 update for my machine (defender definitions usually) and the usual win10 upgrade nagware updates
In the end I just disabled the WUAU service and then eventually got told about autopatcher by a friend, it does the job perfectly and once you download the updates you can put aside for any subsequent fresh installs

Last edited:
Associate
Just clean install 10.

With all due respect I tried Win10 in a VM and absolutely despised it, but that is subjective and irrelevant.

I have paid for my Win 7 license and that should enable me to 'support' until 2020, that includes 'critical updates' at an absolute minimum, currently I, and thousands upon thousands of other legitimate users are not receiving that 'support', instead we are being coerced in to adopting the 'mighty Win 10' with the lure of a free upgrade & sneaky forced installs via WU.
The fact Microsoft are seemingly intent in forcing users over is sick, but I guess they must meet their 'goal' of 1 billion devices by 2019. I shall not be one of them.

As it stands I am currently VM'ing Linux, if I can find the programs I need and support for my hardware then it's bye bye M$

/rant

Soldato
With all due respect I tried Win10 in a VM and absolutely despised it, but that is subjective and irrelevant.

Calm down dear, it was a serious suggestion as 10 does have a vastly improved servicing stack and would not suffer the same clean install & patching issue as 7.

If you insist on using 7 then make sure you have the servicing stack update, the convenience update released recently and you should be able to get up and running in only a few hours.

Man of Honour
As it stands I am currently VM'ing Linux, if I can find the programs I need and support for my hardware then it's bye bye M$

Can't see myself switching to Linux sadly but Windows 10 has resulted in my most extensive effort at looking at how realistically I could replace Windows with Linux (I've a fair bit of Linux experience though mostly from the server perspective).

Soldato
This microsoft article say that windows 7 rollups do not include windows 10 nagware

Michael Niehaus

May 18, 2016 at 8:44 am

No, the convenience rollup does not contain the “Get Windows 10” updates. (Those updates are primarily for end users; this convenience rollup is intended for IT pros in organizations that want to create Windows 7 images faster.)
it also asserts

Nathan Mercer

June 1, 2016 at 9:12 am

please make sure your’e downloading the right download to match your PC architecture x86/x64 and you must install the April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 first KB3020369 https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3020369

so I think my technique for updating windows 7 to latest will be a clean install from win7 sp1 iso and then applying rollup. ?

[incidentally I am never consulting the sticky threads with respect to update problems are they useful ? ]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom