the other Pretty Little Alumin.....

Soldato
Strix-ly beQuiet!

Whilst I await the completion of the Zotac block scanning and then the 2 month wait for the block to run off the experiment, thought i'd get to grips with the UMX3 case.

Introducing ;

100% ASUS ROG and beQuiet Themed project build.

Parts List

Intel i5 6600k/ i7 6700k- Ordered
Asus ROG Z170 Gene viii - Ordered
ASUS STRIX GTX 1070 8GB - Ordered
Samsung Polaris 256GB - Ordered
Seagate SSHD 1TB - Ordered
Kingston FURY Black DDR 4 2444hx 16GB - Ordered
beQuiet Pure Power 9 600w - Ordered
CoolTek UMX 3 Window Black - Ordered
NZXT Hue+ - Ordered
beQuiet Silent Wings 3 120+140mm - Ordered
Alphacool Eisbaer 120 (Silent Loop not out yet) - Ordered

Total Build £1305 :)

This Build was due to feature a GTX 1060 Strix in the UMX1 Plus mITX case, but was given official clearance measurement of 125mm for the max height of a GPU, the 1060 STRIX is 129mm and would have used ASUS's B150i Aura board.
I did see the exact or chinese version of the Strix cooler in this case, it would fit just with the removal off one of the panel pins but the heat was just to much for the system to run well. This lead to the jump up to the mATX version of the case, that soon spiraled into GTX 1070 and then the jump to the Z170 chip.
Keeping the case cool will be handled by BeQuiet Silent Wing 3 fans, 140mm up top set to 100% (as the PSU expels hot air to the top of the case then is drawn out) since its so quiet. 120mm will be also acting as an exhaust but will cool down the i5 6600k using Alphacools Eisbear AIO, in push. Unfortunately beQuiet's Silent Loop isn't out till 4 weeks time (made by Alphacool), hence the Eisbaer.

Im half tempted to utilise the Strix fan headers by controller fans at the bottom of the case since there's a giant filter on the bottom of the case. Although there is not actual fan mounting points, will just use a PCIe fan bracket and have two 80mms to push some cool air towards the GPU and top of the case.

FYI max card length in case is 320mm with PSU being 160mm including cables. Strix is 290mm and True Power PSU is 150mm so should be tight!

Handling the lighting will be the Hue+ , should light up the case nicely with 3 strips around the case edges and one under the Gene on the right hand to give an underglow.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is that an Eisberg or Eisbaer? Are where will you mount the rad? Anyway it sounds like a very interesting build!

Eisbaer :)
Will be mounted on rear 120. Had to be Rad mounted to panel then fan for push to exhaust out the back. Ports will up top. Can't have then on the bottom due to GPU using first PCIe bracket

All built for £1200 :)

Soldato
OP
Not used the Eisberg before but told by Alpha just to run it at 7v and not the 12v. Keeps the pump sound down and can easily pump through 2 rads, a CPU block and GPU :)
could have built it using fancier sittings or a thicker radiator for same price but learnt my lesson, just plug and play haha .

Soldato
OP
Just got word from beQuiet their AIO will be released in about 4 weeks ....

seeing how this will be built in 2 and then hopefully sold by then, if not... one of these will replace the Eisbaer and keep it all 100% ASUS+beQuiet

even though alpha make the unit, seems its a GPX-Pro but for CPU. Hoping though its PWM driven and not 7v/12v

Soldato
OP
As far as I can remember though, they've been saying 4 weeks for a while...

HAHA story of my life . that was from them today at least

guessing they've managed to get it quieter then standard pumps due to pulling rather then pushing like standard pumps , also been told its a lot strong for flow

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

and first two batches have arrived from OCUK and Distributor :D

will start to take digital shots today but wow the STRIX... its huge, well with the case only being 30mm longer it really puts it into prospective !

half way into taking snaps and my cam dies. grabbed one on my phone

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Sorry, phone pic but look what came today

Quick measure for rad clearances, measured from the top of the 120 screw to the top of the case as 60mm with the near edge screw of the 140 to the back of the case being 50mm. Two 30mm thick rads should be fine in this case, but not sure with the distance between the top PCIe port and bottom screw of the 120. My plan with the water cooled GTX 1060 and i5 should be able to have a 120 & 140 fine due to the card going in the 2nd PCI bracket

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It fits !

Had a spare 5 mins and quickly checked to see if the car would a) fit and b) could I maneuver it in.

Answer is ...

Now to check if the 150mm long PSU with its non modular cables will be able to work in the 165mm gap..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Been taking high res pictures of the parts whilst i'm waiting for the rest of the parts. i7 should be inbound today and found the Gene is coming early :)
Did fit the fans and PSU to check space between the GPU and the cables, all fine. Will need to take out again and hide the 2nd PCIe cable better along with spare aux cables.
Rear Silent Wing 3 will be mounted as a Push on the rad but wanted to see clearance for having a 140 rad up top- looks all fine :)

Recap on the UMX series, PSU blows hot air to the top of the case and then it extracted by the top 140. In the UMX 4 they have ocrrected this with a mesh opening. There is a speed controller on the back of the case, low/med/fast- might hook up the 3 Pin 140 to that and allow it to be controlled via that way. Was just going to plug it in and allow for 100% as its silent anyways. 120 will be CPU PWM controlled

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
DSLR Pics

Stitched together a few Digital shots, will upload off of the individual pics at the end :)
Such a nice case, just wish that it had a floating mother board tray like the UMX4 version to hide and managed cables .

i7 has arrived and hopefully Gene VIII comes today, Alphacool order should be here by end of the week.

Glass Door, not plastic like UMX 1 Plus or what I read on some reviews and doesn't curve under the case like the rear panel or UMX 1 version
Case is running on a Negative Pressure design

beQuiet! Fans do look so stunning in the case and has a nice stealth appeal, nothing will be seen in the case till the Hue+/Strix is powered on

Fan Goodness . Will link the top 140 Pure Wings to the fan controller on the case. Dont think they'll be any difference to sound at low, medium and full to be honest.

I didnt take photos of the Silent Wings 3 kit, but have to say the nicest fan I've come across as a whole package. PWM version, will be mounted to the 120 45mm thick rad in push exhausting air out of the case.

Read Reviews that beQuiet had been rather conservative with the Bronze rating and should actually be gold...

Looking forward to seeing this lit up as well as seeing how the thermals and sound are in the case. Still have to option to mount a fan either on the floor panel of via PCI bracket and link directly to the cards PWM controller. Would be nice to use a silent powerful fan to provide are to the card to keep the fans spinning as less as possible

close ups :)

Last edited:
Associate
Really nice looking build. Interested to see how the 1070 performs thermally. Am I correct in saying there is only the 140mm top exhaust and 120 rear exhaust through a rad?

Soldato
OP
Is it bad that your post header is doing my OCD in? :p you want me to smash out a banner for you lol

Haha, yes please . I can post you a pack of kit kat chunkies ! Wife has Photoshop but I'm lucky if o get to plug in a cables on this build before my sun wants to chew on it !

Dave, your correct. Relying heavily on negative pressure ! I might have yo get two fans on a PCI bracket and control through the strix .

What should have taken 5 mins took an hour ! Stand offs are so short couldn't hide any of the cables behind it

Need to hide 2 branches of Sata cables behind the PSU which means taking it out again . and seeing if I can tuck the front port cables under the board as well.

Will upload digital snaps on Monday . Will test fit the Eisbaer tonight , needs to be trimmed down by the looks of it

Soldato
OP
quick update over the weekend... having to strip the board out all over again.

Instructions dont state but need to add standoff extensions to the stand offs already there. Case is so nicely put together and let down by a few sheets of paper .
also on a note, seem the Eisbaer will have to be trimmed down as well which i thought would happen.

Soldato
OP

Issue with motherboard solved and standoffs in place. Cables can now go under the board which is a massive help!
Place both cards in to give me a guideline with their own cable and how space is looking.
Hue+ will be on the top rack of the SSD cage with a 2.5" SSHD underneath.
Still have to get around to refitting the Eisbaer for a more detailed guide as I believe the tubing will have to be cut down, and whether the ports are facing the top or the bottom of the case. Would prefer on the bottom purely for the face a 140 could be added in the future.

snaps just off my phone for the time being

Last edited:
Soldato
Photobucket is blocked at work, so I'll properly check, ogle and drool over your progress when I get home.

However, here's a little something rough and ready for you...

strixly_be-quiet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom