£600 to spend on a TV - 1080p or 4k?

Soldato
We have just upgraded to Sky Q so will be moving our current 1080p TV into the Kitchen so we need a new TV in the sitting room.

I've read numerous threads in this forum about 4k TVs and so far it seems like if you want a 4k TV for about £600 you need to get a really cheap one that probably isn't all that good but you should be able to get a reasonably decent 1080p TV for the same price.

Can anyone recommend a decent TV in the £600 price range at all? It needs to be 40" in size but apart from that I don't really have any other requirements.

I know Sky Q have started to broadcast in 4k but I'm not convinced that now is the right time to jump on the 4k bandwagon especially as I don't have a 4k Blu-ray player yet and they are too expensive to buy at the moment. All my film collection is on either DVD or Blu-ray so I won't really notice all that much difference on a 4k TV.

Soldato
I'm in the same boat, moved budget from £400 to £600 as I wasn't keen on the unknown brand tv's available.

Having looked over everything I'll be looking for a good 1080p with HDR but I have nothing that plays or broadcasts in 4k and can't see me bothering with it for another 5 years at least. I've also heard a lot of people say to get the most out of 4k you'd be looking at 40"+. I'll be looking for 42-49" myself

The problem is, I can't find a 1080p with HDR :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
LG 49UH770V 49" 4K Ultra HD Smart HDR LED TV.

http://www.wesellelectricals.co.uk/product_detail.aspx?p_id=1344

It comes with HDR10 and it supports the Dolby vision HDR, great for the price if you can extend your budget slightly.

That looks like a decent TV. A bit larger than I was looking for and a bit more expensive but it has the features that should last for 5 years or so. I'll have a think and see if I can stretch our budget to get that model.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
I personally see very little difference between a 4k picture and a good 1080p feed on a 55" TV from my viewing distance (perhaps 7 feet?)

Soldato
I'm also looking for a new TV, probably slightly less budget - under £500 and don't think I can go quite as big - 46 might be pushing it. Buit i also can't decide what to go for. I've basically decided I want a Sony or Samsung but there are still too many choices. I don't care about 4k if I can get a better all around 1080p screen

Pug

Pug

Soldato
the only reason 4k may be of use is if UHD (or rather HDR) takes off you'll get a deeper more vibrant colour.

You won't get HDR on a 1080p screen. So i'd suggest UHD but not 4k, if you can get your head around that!

Associate
Really crazy how technology moves on so quick not everybody wants or needs 4k and a lot of people still demand 1080p sets im glad i got both my Samsung H6400 when i did cause you would be forced to go 4K or OLED and lets face it not everybody has the internet speed to play netflix 4K. My next TV's are going to be OLED for sure but that ain't going to be for sometime until things mature. Its not about the money for me its what you get for it and if spending over 3 grand for a tv id want it perfect and new technology ain't

Soldato
OP
I've just measured up the space where we put the TV and anything larger than 40" is too big really. We currently have a 32" and that feels all right. 40" would be just about perfect. Maybe 42" at an absolute push but 46" or 49" is just way too big.

Thanks for the suggestions though. It seems that TVs just seem to be getting bigger and bigger these days. I remember when a 28" TV was considered huge.

Associate
Why would anyone buying a £500-ish Television buy HD when UHD upscales any content ? :confused:
The quality of SkySportsHD* football upscaled through a UHD Television is very good,so good that I may well cancel my SkyQ order and wait until more channels are broadcast in UHD.

*latest R014.083.61.00P Sky software update through dumb LG 40UF675V 40" Television
calibrated by eye,viewed from around Seven-Eight foot away.

Soldato
I'm in the same boat, moved budget from £400 to £600 as I wasn't keen on the unknown brand tv's available.

Having looked over everything I'll be looking for a good 1080p with HDR but I have nothing that plays or broadcasts in 4k and can't see me bothering with it for another 5 years at least. I've also heard a lot of people say to get the most out of 4k you'd be looking at 40"+. I'll be looking for 42-49" myself

The problem is, I can't find a 1080p with HDR :(

Can't find a 1080p blu ray with HDR either unless anybody can put me right?

Soldato
Why would anyone buying a £500-ish Television buy HD when UHD upscales any content ? :confused:

Because HD upscaled may be fine, SD scaled looks absolutely terrible.

I have mostly SD and HD, no UHD inputs at all, 4k for me isn't that an attractive an option so may just get a £400 1080p and wait until more HD/UHD content is supplied as standard.

Soldato
AHarvey yes agree with you for <50",<£500 where uhd resolution less discernible at normal viewing distance, and cannot get an oled, 1080p seems better , I was reminded 4K is however actually 2x of 1080p so upscale may look better than I thought it would, or, no worse than a 1080p set anyway

Last edited:
Soldato
Really the Netflix 4k streams are about as good as broadcast quality 1080i. They are nothing to write home about so buying a 4k tv just for that is pointless. Sky Q has the first non sports 4k but the file size per hour is only around 5.9gb which indicates we're not really getting the whole uhd quality of a 4k bluray. Live sports are amazing in 4k and currently unless you would like to watch live sports or have the new xbox one S with a 4k bluray player there is nothing worth using. Or unless you'd like to game in 4k from a pc.

Associate
Is they still any decent 40" 1080p sets still available to buy i know a friend who is after one but its getting harder to find Samsung don't seem to be selling any at the mo and if they are there's not many available

Back
Top Bottom