Acer XB270HU, Asus PG278Q or Dell S2716DG?

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a G-Sync monitor having taken the plunge on a new system, and I want to know what your thoughts our on the following monitors?

1. Acer XB270HU
  2. Asus PG278Q
  3. Dell S2716DG

From what I understand, they all seem to have a bit of a 'panel lottery' which I'm prepared to take the risk on, but which one would you say is best?

I have a preference currently for the Acer because it's IPS, but I've read that some people think the TN Dell is actually pretty much on par with it from a colour reproduction perspective reading the OcUK reviews for it.
On the other hand, I can get the Asus for a really good price from somewhere, but from the sounds of it that 'looks' the worst out of the lot?

Any thoughts? :)

Soldato
It's a tough one, as you say it's panel lottery these days. i have the Acer and has been perfectly fine from day one. You can also over clock the Acer to 165hz which i have done. You can always send the monitor back if your not happy.

Man of Honour
Would not touch the Asus PG278Q with a bargepole - they've done nothing as far as I can see to address some obvious and long outstanding issues with it and their RMA is garbage often just sending out someone elses return unchecked - combined with the Asus tax/premium branding it is completely out of order IMO.

The Dell is from my experience the better monitor and has the advantage of the additional HDMI port but even then from other user reports it seems to be a bit of a lottery in terms of the condition of the panel you get and what quality of RMA experience you get from Dell if it is needed (which so far seems a bit less common than with the Asus) - once calibrated it also has very good picture for a TN.

Soldato
OP
OK, I guess that probably rules out the Asus then!

How does the Dell compare against an IPS screen though, as I don't have any calibration tools unfortunately I'm not sure it will be the best choice?

Man of Honour
Out the box you will need to drop the gamma in software i.e. the nVidia control panel or it will look bleached (plenty of info on that in the thread on it here) - that alone improves it considerably. Obviously it will never match an IPS for viewing angles but sitting straight on for gaming it looks pretty good and not too much out of place alongside my Dell U2913WM which is one of the better regarded IPS panels for image quality.

Soldato
OP
Out the box you will need to drop the gamma in software i.e. the nVidia control panel or it will look bleached (plenty of info on that in the thread on it here) - that alone improves it considerably. Obviously it will never match an IPS for viewing angles but sitting straight on for gaming it looks pretty good and not too much out of place alongside my Dell U2913WM which is one of the better regarded IPS panels for image quality.

Cheers for the info Rroff, I might give this one a go once I find out whether OcUK will be getting the Acer back in stock or not. If not, the Dell it is!

Soldato
Rroff advised me in an previous thread about screen sizes and also reading other threads, it appears the Dell might be a better choice?

I'm going to be getting once I get into work tomorrow the Dell S2716DG on a try buy as I can do this where I work. Then I can get the panel, test it out, see if it fits on my desk as its a large screen, and hopefully go from there.. I should hopefully have it by end of week, so I can come back with my thoughts if that might help?

I can only say about ASUS is that my current ASUS is a terrible screen VE247-C, and I have never been happy with it in the four year? I've owned it, I only stuck with it as I paid for it, and just made the best I could with it..

Its had a dead pixel from day one, then it decided just lately to lose every single setting I had done, and now I just can't seem to calibrate it at all, I have to use the Nvidia control panel.

I for one am not keen on ASUS panels thats for sure..

Soldato
Using an Acer XB270HU, it is pretty good. Although it seems to reset the connection every game launch (the power button goes orange quickly and the connection type is displayed) but apart from that no issues!

Soldato
Dell are sending me some of these on try buy. I'll keep the one with the less bleed provided it fits on my desk and I like the screen.

Do love working for a company that deals with Dell a lot, makes getting Dell kit easier to test before you buy. And its a lot cheaper then retail price as well.

I'll let you know once it arrives how I get on.

Back
Top Bottom