Best Mouse + Mechanical Keyboard?

Associate
So, the PC is only a few more hours of work to go before it's funded but I had the thought of "if I'm spending all this money on a PC, should I really be using these ancient peripherals that I have now?"

So, I have a budget of between £125-200 and my only demands are that the keyboard is back lit (maybe even mechanical) and the mouse just something that'll be good for gaming.

I don't use macro keys too much so that's not a necessity.

If there's an option of RGB lighting for the keyboard that would be nice and if it stretches the budget a bit it's not a problem!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Soldato
There is no such thing as a good mouse/keyboard for gaming.
Plenty of players do perfectly well with a normal m/kb.

Gaming mice merely come with adjustable DPI, extra buttons, profiles, configurable button maps, swanky designs and lights.
Some are what they claim to be "ergonomically shaped" to assist in long periods of use.

But really, it all comes down to what feels best in your hand and what fancy features make your gaming more of an enjoyable experience. None of it will make you a 'better' gamer, except perhaps variable DPI and even then not for everyone...

Best bet is to get up your local high street PC shop and try a few different ones out, see what feels best.
Then see what features they have, before deciding if you need them or not.
Same for the keyboards, really.

For the record, I like my bling and features, so I pack a Logitech G700S and an old G19 keyboard.

Soldato
There is no such thing as a good mouse/keyboard for gaming.
Plenty of players do perfectly well with a normal m/kb.

Gaming mice merely come with adjustable DPI, extra buttons, profiles, configurable button maps, swanky designs and lights.
Some are what they claim to be "ergonomically shaped" to assist in long periods of use.

But really, it all comes down to what feels best in your hand and what fancy features make your gaming more of an enjoyable experience. None of it will make you a 'better' gamer, except perhaps variable DPI and even then not for everyone...

Best bet is to get up your local high street PC shop and try a few different ones out, see what feels best.
Then see what features they have, before deciding if you need them or not.
Same for the keyboards, really.

For the record, I like my bling and features, so I pack a Logitech G700S and an old G19 keyboard.

Clearly you've never compared a mouse with a **** sensor to one with a good sensor.

Nixeus revel is a great mouse for FPS players. £36 for the best sensor, great switches, neutral shape and 2 side buttons.

Keyboard is about finding a switch that you like and then deciding on the other features. I don't care for macros, a numpad or backlighting so I got a quickfire rapid (though I upgraded to a TK after a bunch failed). There was a thread recently about what people did with their RGB peripherals months on - most had just left it on a single colour and left it.

Associate
There isn't really such a thing as the "best" mech board, it's all about what appeals to you the most. As you've stated you don't really need macro keys then i'd recommend going with a brand renowned for boards rather than a whole host of peripherals. Switch selection is going to be important, as such you should do as other said and go to some stores and try different switch types, or order a switch tester. Though, a switch tester gives you one of each switch which isn't as easy to tell which you like if you can't type out proper sentences on it.

I started with browns, moved to blacks and am currently using a board with reds. I didn't think i'd like reds as much as i do, but they are pretty nice to type with as well as probably the "best" for gaming. Some brands to look at would be Ducky, CODE, Vortex, Leopold, as well as more gaming oriented ones such as Corsair and Coolermaster. Personally i'd avoid Razer, but that's just my opinion.

Soldato
Clearly you've never compared a mouse with a **** sensor to one with a good sensor.
It's pretty subjective, really.
I've used a great deal of mice, including some of those that people claim are top-of-the-line. I find it's less about the sensors and more in how you set everything up, from mouse shape and style of grip, to DPS and gaming surface.
For the average gamer, a lot of the premium über fine refinements won't make the blindest bit of difference.

There was a thread recently about what people did with their RGB peripherals months on - most had just left it on a single colour and left it.
But surely the point of RGB is the option of X million colours from which to choose that one perfect complimentary colour, though?

Associate
Try in the shops, look for bargains too, I have a steelseries wireless mouseI have still never used, bought just because Currys put it in a sale basket for £20 odd quid.

My keyboard is a Roccat Arvo, I had wanted a Corsair or Steelseries M900, but when I saw the size of this and though of my cluttered desktop I thought why not, my in use mouse is a Razer Deathadder, bought due to a WoT promotion to replace a Microsoft Intelimouse.

Funny enough my game performance never improved :D

Associate
Corsair strafe rgb silent mx is a great keyboard, feels awesome to type on and quieter than mx Browns if noise is an issue for you. Ducky shine keyboards are excellent too and you won't need software to configure it.

Mouse wise, I've tried many mice (wife not happy lol) and the best for me so far is the Roccat Nyth. It took a little getting used to but I'm so glad I stuck with it. Very comfortable to use, modular and you can 3D print buttons for it via Shapeways 3D printers. Right side of mouse is swappable for narrow or wide grip, and side buttons and configurable to as many buttons as you want to have in (removable).

I recently bought a corsair scimitar rgb but have gone back to using the Nyth.

Best

Wulf :D

Back
Top Bottom