*** Alien: Covenant ***

Soldato
Directors weren't switched during Alien 3, Fincher was there from start to finish once filming started.

Also there is only one piece of CGI in Alien 3 and that's when the head explodes, everything else is green screened, poorly though.

I'm an absolute Alien fanboy/nerd in case you didn't know.

Not an absolute fanboy....... bit more than one shot.

Contrary to popular belief, wide shots of the quadrupedal Alien were not created using CGI. However, a small number of shots in the film do contain CGI elements, most notably the cracking Xenomorph head before the creature explodes. Other CGI elements include shadows cast by the (rod puppet) Xenomorph, and airborne debris in outdoor scenes.

One of my favourite bits of trivia is this

Director David Fincher suggested that a Whippet (a breed of small dog) be dressed in a Xenomorph costume for on-set coverage of the quadrupedal creature, but the visual effects team was dissatisfied with the comical result and the idea was dropped in favor of the rod puppet

Some of the other scripts and script outlines I've seen for Alien 3 would have been utterly brilliant, and I'm fairly sure it was actually greenlit originally with one of the other scripts (the whole ex-prison planet with a monk like order is from memory very close to one of the early script ideas).

I seem to recall the Monk story line had a bit of pre-production even to the point that a set or some of the sets were built but ended up being used for a different film. Or maybe that was a dream also....

NOOMI REPACE ON THE COVENANT SET IN AUSTRALIA!!!

https://www.scified.com/news/breaki...cially-joined-alien-covenant-shaw-will-return

It had been thought we wouldn't see what happened to Shaw, now it looks as if we will!!:cool:

Is this going to turn out to be the worst kept secret like Jon Snow is definitely NOT in GoT Season 6 ? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah yeah, forgot about the shadow and debris shots, my bad...although I was making more of a point that the Alien itself isn't CGI which is a common misconception with A3.

Would love to see that whippet test footage :D

Associate
OP
Is this going to turn out to be the worst kept secret like Jon Snow is definitely NOT in GoT Season 6 ? :)

I think the real secret will be more to do with what Shaw is to become? If Giger's work is the inspiration it could be terrifying!!!:eek:

I'm against popular opinion in that I really like Alien 3, it's a decent film and the directors cut/workprint edit makes it a much better movie. It was a fitting end and I don't particularly want to see it wiped out. It;'s only Weaver/Fox interfering which made it such a mess on initial release.

I enjoyed it as well but I'm glad we'll may be see more of Newts and bishops story... with a leap of imagination nothing will be forgotten:)

Your wish is my command.

That's adorable, hilarious and rather disturbing!!:eek::p

I've never seen that before thanks for posting it varkanoid:)

it reminds me of...

utamZXA.gif
:eek::D

Associate
I'm so hyped for this movie it's not healthy. Only 1 year to go. Personally i want to know more about the Engineers; Prometheus left waaay to many questions unanswered. At least from the quotes i've been reading it looks like it's going to be a much darker possibly gorier movie than Prometheus turned out to be.

Associate
I liked all the Alien movies apart from Prometheus. I hope Covenant can put new life into the Alien films.

Yeah i think there's quite a few people who feel that way and at first i wasn't sure what to think but it's strangely growing on me. At least we're guaranteed actual aliens with Covenant.

Soldato
We want real Aliens !!!

Aliensuitbuild34.JPG

if Ridley listened to fans in the first place instead of trying to make his own film then Prometheus would not have been such a mixed pile of good/bad.
Anybody else seem to think the more you watch Prometheus the better it gets albeit slightly ?

In the end it looks like he has given into the fans and started to sway towards an actual Alien origin film.

Associate
We want real Aliens !!!

Aliensuitbuild34.JPG

if Ridley listened to fans in the first place instead of trying to make his own film then Prometheus would not have been such a mixed pile of good/bad.
Anybody else seem to think the more you watch Prometheus the better it gets albeit slightly ?

In the end it looks like he has given into the fans and started to sway towards an actual Alien origin film.

The big mistake was bringing in Damon Lindeloff IMO. I've read Jon Spaihts original script and even though it has issues itself it was far more on target than what we saw.

Associate
Yeah Alien: Covenant is next year and Neil Blomkampf's Alien movie is ... We don't know exactly when.

I think both have good chance of being good.

Associate
OP
Yeah Alien: Covenant is next year and Neil Blomkampf's Alien movie is ... We don't know exactly when.

I'm really looking forward to this as everything is pointing to this being the movie everyone was hoping Prom would be (even though I really enjoyed it I know a few didn't:o:D)

whilst we wait patiently wondering weather to read further updates in case of spoilers or not here's Robot chickens take on the Alien universe:cool:

A Jetson's reboot? I'm telling you now you wont guess the climax!:eek:

Alien Slapstick!

:D

Soldato

I'm not exactly excited about Blomkamp's Alien movie...if it had been announced after District 9 i'd have been hyper ecstatic.

However since then he made the utterly terrible Elysium and the passable Chappie.

I wonder who Sharlto Copley will play in his Alien movie ;)

Associate
OP
LOL never seen those before. We'll maybe get a teaser before the years end, which will be cool.

:D

I hope so Burr a trailer would be great.

I think Prometheus's trailer, particularly it's soundtrack and the slowly building warning siren really worked well:

The viral videos and marketing also created great interest which I guess ultimately did leave some disappointed. Let's hope Fox has learnt from that hopefully allowing Ridley to further the universe in the way we all hope:cool:

On a side note has anyone else seen Noomi Repace's shooting test with Rafe Spall playing the part of David? I can't post a link as it has rude words:o:D but it's worth a watch. It reminds me of an 80's episode of Doctor who:cool:

Associate
I'm against popular opinion in that I really like Alien 3, it's a decent film and the directors cut/workprint edit makes it a much better movie. It was a fitting end and I don't particularly want to see it wiped out. It;'s only Weaver/Fox interfering which made it such a mess on initial release.

You're not alone... I love the assembly cut. Could have been a great film, but I'll settle for flawed classic that was "Foxed". Gits.

I've high hopes for Covenant, so we'll see...

Soldato
I'm a fan of the Assembly cut too. In fact the only one's I haven't liked is 4 and Prometheus.

4 was a good idea but ruined by Sigourney Weaver wanting to make a come back forcing the script to be mangled in an attempt to bring her back from the dead. It would have been better as a stand-alone, no cloning, no New Born etc.

Prometheus was an average story which was then mangled by constant re-writes by a hack who should never be allowed to touch a pen again. Then Ridley seems to have rolled over his British "common sense" and allowed some god awful "No-one in the universe could be so stupid" plot problems which were instantly obvious to anyone with more than a single brain cell.

So my hopes for Covenent aren't high. In fact the Blomkamp one interests me more TBH, despite Sigourney yet again wanting to get involved despite being dead.

Back
Top Bottom