Got 14k to replace my Mondeo. 530d Touring?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So buy over 60k and put away £100/month for contingency? Seems fair. Would you expect to pay out more than £1,200 in repairs annually on these cars?

Caporegime
- xenons are nice
- they make the front of the car look nicer
- you get better daytime running lights
- undoubtedly they are better at night
- the colour temperature of halogens is yellow instead of white
- halogens dont project quite as far
- halogens aren't self levelling
- you don't get the power wash with halogens

Considering that the premise of your post was that xenons are overrated, you've done a good job of rebutting yourself there :p.

Man of Honour
So buy over 60k and put away £100/month for contingency? Seems fair. Would you expect to pay out more than £1,200 in repairs annually on these cars?

It's fairly variable. They are reasonably reliable but much of what could go wrong is significantly expensive. You don't need a gearbox very often but when you do, a replacement ZF8HP is £££££ :eek:

It's going to depend on your attitude to risk and what value you place on peace of mind. I will only run these cars with warranties as when it goes wrong I cannot be bothered faffing about with independents of varying competency and throw the parts at the problem lottery style fixes.

The warranty gives more or less completely fixed cost motoring - you know what your car costs, the end.

Soldato
OP
Well I used registration from that car I linked earlier for getting a quote on BMW Comprehensive cover.

It comes out at £1079 a year, or £102.48 a month, with a £100 excess.

Gives me a good idea of costs.

Thanks.

(its £1679 a month if the mileage is over 60k. I had tried 62000 on quote)

Last edited:
Soldato
Considering that the premise of your post was that xenons are overrated, you've done a good job of rebutting yourself there :p.

Not at all, my point if you were to cherry pick other elements ;) was that they are nice but they are marginally better in terms of what they are designed to do, i.e. light up the road, than the halogen alternatives. Obviously if you are speccing a new car or picking up an AUC that is a few years old and spending 20k+ then I wouldn't compromise but on a bottom dollar AUC they should be low on the list with other options like the pro-nav being higher.

If you can afford it all then great but my suggestion would be go for a newer/lower mile car rather than older/higher miles with options like xenon.

Man of Honour
They are not marginally better at all, they are significantly better. Halogen headlights have no place on a car like this - the light output is poor. I'm honestly surprised that it took as long as it did (2013 LCI) before they did away with Halogens entirely. Xenon's have been offered on the 5 Series since the E34 25 years ago!

IMHO the three essential no-compromise options are:

a) Professional Navigation
b) Xenons
c) Automatic Transmission

There are many other things that are either nice to have or strongly recommended but could represent a point of compromise but when buying an F10 I'd never advise compromising on the above because you are stripping away too much of what the F10 is about without having those above listed options.

Additionally, if it's a 520d, I'd add a fourth - Climate Control with Extended Features. The trouble is this is probably the rarest option on a 520d as nobody picks it because it is never explained to the original buyer how compromised the bizarre base system is. Everything above a 520d has this as standard.

Soldato
My last car had xenons, my current car has LEDs. I'd never even contemplate going back to halogen lights, front or rear. It's ancient tech and it's embarrassing that so many new cars still come with halogen bulbs all-round.

Man of Honour
My last car had xenons, my current car has LEDs. I'd never even contemplate going back to halogen lights, front or rear. It's ancient tech and it's embarrassing that so many new cars still come with halogen bulbs all-round.

At least you get projector lenses as standard as opposed to the awful reflectors on the F30. That's something, I suppose :p

Soldato
Dunno, I've experienced both types of tech and aside from the poor halo light output with the halogens i find the lights perfectly adequate even in challenging conditions, just my opinion i suppose, of course id prefer xenon's buy then my car would be a few years older and have another 20k or so on the clock or I'd be a few grand poorer.

I'm surprised split rear seats aren't on that list though!

Man of Honour
of course id prefer xenon's buy then my car would be a few years older and have another 20k or so on the clock or I'd be a few grand poorer.

I don't think it's that dramatic at all. Two identical cars one with Xenons one without will be a few hundred quid apart if that. It's things like no satnav or no auto that make 4 figure differences to the value.

Soldato
Well I used registration from that car I linked earlier for getting a quote on BMW Comprehensive cover.

It comes out at £1079 a year, or £102.48 a month, with a £100 excess.

Gives me a good idea of costs.

Thanks.

(its £1679 a month if the mileage is over 60k. I had tried 62000 on quote)
I've never been in a situation where I needed a warranty on a car but I've seen them mentioned in regards to BMW a lot on here.

Are you saying that a warranty south of 60k is £1079 a year, but north of 60k it is £20k+? Surely there is a typo in there?

Soldato
Don't worry about xenons to much TBH. Halogens can still be very good on some cars. The quality of the bulb makes a massive difference as well. The halogens I have in my Fiesta ST are just as good as the xenons were on my old Focus ST.

Associate
I know you say you want a 5 series (they are good cars), but have you considered any alternatives?

I only mention it because something like this is viable:

http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/used-GS/GS-450h/3.5-SE-L/Sidcup/1833777-605900011-1607059.aspx

They are fast (0-60 is 5.9), reasonably economical for their size/performance, very well equipped, and reliable. Also, in my experience, Lexus are dealer are very good.

Lastly, an extended warranty is £1095 for 2 years, with no excess, and includes 2 years AA breakdown cover which would normally set you back £300ish.

Man of Honour
I know you say you want a 5 series (they are good cars), but have you considered any alternatives?

I only mention it because something like this is viable:

http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/used-GS/GS-450h/3.5-SE-L/Sidcup/1833777-605900011-1607059.aspx

They are fast (0-60 is 5.9), reasonably economical for their size/performance, very well equipped, and reliable. Also, in my experience, Lexus are dealer are very good.

Lastly, an extended warranty is £1095 for 2 years, with no excess, and includes 2 years AA breakdown cover which would normally set you back £300ish.

Lexus have fantastic dealers, an excellent warranty package, great value servicing and brilliant customer service.

The problem is that the cars suck (At this level, at least. I gather the LS is better). The 2010 Lexus GS is just absolutely nothing like as good as the F10 5 Series.

If Lexus sold F10's it'd be a match made in heaven...

Associate
While I agree that the BMW has far better handling and is more sporty, I am just wondering how much of a consideration that is in this instance?

In terms of spec, the Lexus is easily better, especially in SE-L trim. Xenons, , heated and cooled electric memory leather seats, remote comfort access, rear parking camera and all round parking sensor, 18 inch alloys, nav, etc etc.. You get the idea :)

And of course, it has the funkiness of being a hybrid :)

Like I said, just thinking of alternatives.

Soldato
OP
Hi thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately when I look at reviews of the Lexus they all seem very average.

The fact that common diesel engines are more economical than the hybrids is also an issue.

Its a shame really because I've always loved Japanese reliability.

Back
Top Bottom