Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
Raspberry pi keeps popping up, i think its time i look into getting one!

Like the idea of emulating my retro games rather than setting them up etc so retro pi appeals

Whats needed to get going? Is it quite simple to get going?

Soldato
Raspberry pi keeps popping up, i think its time i look into getting one!

Like the idea of emulating my retro games rather than setting them up etc so retro pi appeals

Whats needed to get going? Is it quite simple to get going?
The very basics:-

Raspberry Pi itself
3amp 5v power supply for it (e.g. spare iPad charger)
MicroSD card
HDMI cable to monitor/tv
USB controller (cheap wired controllers work well)
A copy of RetroPi
Roms (to be discussed elsewhere)

Use PC/Mac to bake a copy of RetroPi to the SD card, drop on roms, off you go! Simples. :)

Soldato
The very basics:-

Raspberry Pi itself
3amp 5v power supply for it (e.g. spare iPad charger)
MicroSD card
HDMI cable to monitor/tv
USB controller (cheap wired controllers work well)
A copy of RetroPi
Roms (to be discussed elsewhere)

Use PC/Mac to bake a copy of RetroPi to the SD card, drop on roms, off you go! Simples. :)

Sounds fairly straight forward then! Already thinking about making a case for it out of ally on a cnc at work!

Will look into buying one this week, thanks

Soldato
We have an rs-online account at work so may buy from there but it says when buying if its for business use or personal use, if personal it suggests other places to buy

Whys this? I assume they are the same unit

Soldato
Hi all,

At work they don't have any internal server for storage, it's all onedrive and dropbox.

While I understand why they use these services I'm not happy that we don't store them locally, some of this info is confidential and I'd rather look at having it internal than external, plus the cost of accounts adds up over time.

I've been thinking about bring the Pi in to play here.

Some sort of NAS/cloud storage, 2 drives, one that can be accessed by employees, with restrictions on what they can access. The second to be a backup of the first. Not sure if just a backup system would be best that they can't access directly, but just silently backups files as long as they aren't encrypted (combat ransomware, we've had a couple of remote staff hit with them), or just to go with a remote drive.

It'd be nice if it had some sort of web interface as well that allows select admins to login and work on things without them needing linux knowledge.

Any suggestions on options to use? links to guides etc so that I can start playing around with it?

Ideally, it would initially backup from the dropbox files until I know it's working successfully. Being

Soldato
Soldato
I assume someone here has used a Pi as a Plex server;

I have a choice, use a Pi as a Plex server and put chromecasts on all TVs, or put a Rasp Pi on all TVs
Assume that money is not an issue, would you rather have OSMC/Kodi on Pi's on every TV or one Pi as a Plex server and chromecasts all round

I have used OSMC for a while now and though it is good, it can be a bit clunky and the Plex app is relatively simple and easy to use

Associate
I assume someone here has used a Pi as a Plex server;

I have a choice, use a Pi as a Plex server and put chromecasts on all TVs, or put a Rasp Pi on all TVs
Assume that money is not an issue, would you rather have OSMC/Kodi on Pi's on every TV or one Pi as a Plex server and chromecasts all round

I have used OSMC for a while now and though it is good, it can be a bit clunky and the Plex app is relatively simple and easy to use
Pi as a plex server to chromecasts would need to do transcoding wouldnt it unless all files are compatible. If so they a pi is not strong enough for this job.
I would take kodi on each TV personally. Once setup nicely its very nice and you can get it working with a universal remote control it becomes much nicer than having to get your phone out to do stuff.

Soldato
Soldato
ok, I have 1 chromecast at the mo' and it seems that all my files etc are compatible with Plex streaming using the app

The plex server is on my PC atm

You definitely think Kodi on every TV is the best bet?

Associate
ok, I have 1 chromecast at the mo' and it seems that all my files etc are compatible with Plex streaming using the app

The plex server is on my PC atm

You definitely think Kodi on every TV is the best bet?

Your PC may/probably will be transcoding files on the fly without you noticing as its not a big job for a modern computer with amble power.
Quick check looks like if its not Video codecs: H.264 High Profile Level 4.1, 4.2 and 5, VP8 (max 720p)
Then there will be some transcoding to be done.

Since both will require a pi anyway try buying a pi3 and using as a plex server and see what sort of quality it can transcode at since ive not tried it on a pi3 only a pi2.

Soldato
Hi all,

At work they don't have any internal server for storage, it's all onedrive and dropbox.

While I understand why they use these services I'm not happy that we don't store them locally, some of this info is confidential and I'd rather look at having it internal than external, plus the cost of accounts adds up over time.

I've been thinking about bring the Pi in to play here.

Some sort of NAS/cloud storage, 2 drives, one that can be accessed by employees, with restrictions on what they can access. The second to be a backup of the first. Not sure if just a backup system would be best that they can't access directly, but just silently backups files as long as they aren't encrypted (combat ransomware, we've had a couple of remote staff hit with them), or just to go with a remote drive.

It'd be nice if it had some sort of web interface as well that allows select admins to login and work on things without them needing linux knowledge.

Any suggestions on options to use? links to guides etc so that I can start playing around with it?

Ideally, it would initially backup from the dropbox files until I know it's working successfully. Being

I'm not familiar with Synology but I use my HP Microserver in a very similar way as you describe. I have Dropbox automatically backing up on it and that, along with all other key files is backed up on Backblaze automatically. I run this with an old copy of W7 I had (now W10) so no need for Win Server or Linux based setup.

You could TightVNC into it (with only certain personnel having login details).

Might not be the best solution but certainly ticks most of your boxes.

I personally would not use a Pi for this.

Soldato
Soldato
Well I am having trouble anyway setting up plex so I think this is a blessing in disguise, so I am just going to ditch plex and put OSMC all round behind the TVs using RPi 2 and 3, and all the films on an external HDD plugged into my router

Will I be ok setting one Pi up correctly with OSMC then mirroring the image from the SD card to the other Pis to save having to set up each Pi individually?

Soldato
Canonical announcing the NextCloud box powered by a Raspberry Pi (that you have to supply) with details here using Ubuntu Snappy. Seems to be a decent package for the £60 or so in the UK.

However, since I already have a drive spare does anyone have any similar alternatives for just the case to hold a 3.5" HDD?

Back
Top Bottom