ACER Monitors - my warranty hell and why you should NOT buy one

Soldato
moogle said:
Do we have a thread about monitor manufacturer RMA info? I remember Nelly made one for GPU's but stuff like this could be linked in such a thread. Makes me glad I stuck with Dell or Samsung.

Heck, even when I had a HannsG/Hannspree monitor RMA it wasn't as bad as the OP's experience, and this was 7-8 years ago!
LG seem pretty rubbish when it comes to warranty on monitors as well >> https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18728900

The only info I collected was this back in November 2015:

AOC and Viewsonic you don't need a receipt as far as I'm aware, good sell on value, basically the warranty should transfer with the user.

Monitors
AOC (will cover the complete cost of shipping, via the serial number)
DELL (will collect, swapout the defective product)
iiyama (pick-up, repair and return your product at no cost to the customer)
NEC (will dispatch a designated carrier to retrieve the defective product via ground shipping, turnaround time is 2-3 business days)
Samsung (will collect, swapout the defective product)
Viewsonic (will collect, swapout the defective product, via the serial number)

Last edited:
Associate
Won't be buying acer after reading this. And the changes they made mean nothing to me. If they set up a system like that in the first place then they deserve no business. IMO. Taking the p**S until you get called out then changing isnt providing good service.

Soldato
All this makes for interesting/worrying reading.

I just received my XB270HU from the Rainforest's Warehouse today and all I could do was laugh (paid £460 btw)

Being a Warehouse return I knew it would most probably have issues somewhere but I am more than happy to take a punt on anything there as you have 30 day free return no questions asked - and believe me with living in Northern Ireland free postage, and especially free returns, are a massive boon.

Anyhow, monitor was listed with the usual "scratches on front of item etc etc" and missing screws. When it arrived it was in non-retail packaging and not only was it missing the screws for the stand it was missing the stand! :D

The monitor also has 4 or 5 dead pixels but they're spread out round the edges so this I can live with as they're only noticeable on a plain white background and since the main use is gaming I never see them in general use.

Being ever the opportunist I got straight onto Amazon and raised these issues and they've offered me 25% off further, meaning the monitor (minus stand admittedly) would cost £345 - which is a steal as far as I'm concerned.
I should mention that the stand wouldn't have been used anyway as I wall mount my monitors but Amazon don't need to know that lol.
The main reason I'm hankering to hold on to it is that the panel itself (despite the pixels) is perfect, no BLB whatsoever and just the normal amount of IPS glow so I think I'd be disappointed to return it given that all other monitors of this spec are ~£600.

I guess I'm wanting to know, what way would a warranty return with Acer (should it happen down the line) go if I don't have a stand for the monitor? I don't suppose varkanoid from March 2015 still has that stand and box kicking about!?

Caporegime
All this makes for interesting/worrying reading.

I just received my XB270HU from the Rainforest's Warehouse today and all I could do was laugh (paid £460 btw)

Being a Warehouse return I knew it would most probably have issues somewhere but I am more than happy to take a punt on anything there as you have 30 day free return no questions asked - and believe me with living in Northern Ireland free postage, and especially free returns, are a massive boon.

Anyhow, monitor was listed with the usual "scratches on front of item etc etc" and missing screws. When it arrived it was in non-retail packaging and not only was it missing the screws for the stand it was missing the stand! :D

The monitor also has 4 or 5 dead pixels but they're spread out round the edges so this I can live with as they're only noticeable on a plain white background and since the main use is gaming I never see them in general use.

Being ever the opportunist I got straight onto Amazon and raised these issues and they've offered me 25% off further, meaning the monitor (minus stand admittedly) would cost £345 - which is a steal as far as I'm concerned.
I should mention that the stand wouldn't have been used anyway as I wall mount my monitors but Amazon don't need to know that lol.
The main reason I'm hankering to hold on to it is that the panel itself (despite the pixels) is perfect, no BLB whatsoever and just the normal amount of IPS glow so I think I'd be disappointed to return it given that all other monitors of this spec are ~£600.

I guess I'm wanting to know, what way would a warranty return with Acer (should it happen down the line) go if I don't have a stand for the monitor? I don't suppose varkanoid from March 2015 still has that stand and box kicking about!?

You don't need to send the stand back for a repair (you just have to send the monitor and power lead and that is it) so not having a stand would not be an issue.

However, you have to provide ACER with proof of purchase for any warranty claim so I doubt you would have any warranty with it anyway with it being used/from amazon warehouse. You never know though, I suppose they might be able to give you warranty from the manufacture date - I just would not count on it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You don't need to send the stand back for a repair (you just have to send the monitor and power lead and that is it) so not having a stand would not be an issue.

However, you have to provide ACER with proof of purchase for any warranty claim so I doubt you would have any warranty with it anyway with it being used/from amazon warehouse. You never know though, I suppose they might be able to give you warranty from the manufacture date - I just would not count on it.

Amazon themselves give 1 year warranty with their Warehouse 'deals' (so I've read)

Caporegime
Amazon themselves give 1 year warranty with their Warehouse 'deals' (so I've read)

You have 30 days I believe

"Do products come with a warranty?

No. Used products generally do not come with a manufacturer's warranty but all of our items are backed by Amazon’s satisfaction guarantee"

and

"Warehouse Deals is a trading name of Amazon EU Sarl, and is part of the Amazon.com Group. We offer open box, customer returned and warehouse damaged merchandise at reduced prices with the benefits of Amazon.co.uk fulfillment and customer service.

Due to the unique nature of each Amazon Warehouse Deals item, we unfortunately will be unable to replace any item.

Please note that used products are not covered by the original manufacturer's warranty.

If a product becomes defective after 30 days you won't be able to return it using our online return centre. You may wish to visit the manufacturer's website or contact them directly as they may be able to offer troubleshooting and support with the issue you have with the product. Alternatively, please contact us."

I must admit it seems a bit of a grey area as they still say "contact us" at the end of it.

Last edited:
Associate
I haven't read the whole of this thread but I think I should make this statement.

I broke my x34 (bought from OC) due to having unstably perched it on a small surface. It got knocked off and the screen hit a corner of a low table (I'd had the screen for 4 months). This unsurprisingly rendered the unit totally non-functioning. I rang Acer and they immediately issued with a return case giving me free UPS return (they did not ask for any proof of purchase, I think they just asked me where and when I bought it). They replied to me within 3 working days of me having sent the screen. I had hoped I would get away with it, but they correctly and justifiably judged the problem was due to user fault, and they proposed a repair for about £720. I declined.
They sent the screen back to me for free, which although now useless, I thought was a commendable expense to put themselves to.

So my experience as far as it went was surprisingly good customer service.

(I do also have to say the Acer contact number on the OC website was out of date (it may still be).)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I haven't read the whole of this thread but I think I should make this statement.

I broke my x34 (bought from OC) due to having unstably perched it on a small surface. It got knocked off and the screen hit a corner of a low table (I'd had the screen for 4 months). This unsurprisingly rendered the unit totally non-functioning. I rang Acer and they immediately issued with a return case giving me free UPS return (they did not ask for any proof of purchase, I think they just asked me where and when I bought it). They replied to me within 3 working days of me having sent the screen. I had hoped I would get away with it, but they correctly and justifiably judged the problem was due to user fault, and they proposed a repair for about £720. I declined.
They sent the screen back to me for free, which although now useless, I thought was a commendable expense to put themselves to.

So my experience as far as it went was surprisingly good customer service.

(I do also have to say the Acer contact number on the OC website was out of date (it may still be).)

I don't mean this to sound rude, but that doesn't really say anything about their customer service other than you were lucky that they didn't charge you for shipping it back.

You sent a damaged/broken monitor to them and they correctly identified it as damaged and broken and sent it back to you :p.

Associate
I don't mean this to sound rude, but that doesn't really say anything about their customer service other than you were lucky that they didn't charge you for shipping it back.

I realise that I can't speak of how they might have handled it if the screen had a genuine fault. Although not greatly illuminating my experience was as I stated and what I said was not of no relevance to the subject of Acer customer service.
What it does show is how easy it was to contact them and instigate a return case, and that they would at least look at the monitor very quickly.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Very disappointing for you, I bought the 144hz ACER 21:9 freesync panel recently and the day before yesterday it started playing up and has resulted in me ending up back on my 60hz 1080p panel, Thankfully it's within the 14 day return window so I just arranged to have it picked up, I'm not willing to risk holding on to it past the no return point as I noticed OCUK make a point of saying they won't deal with warranties on it. To be honest I'm very disappointed as things started of well and I was loving the extra screen space so now I'll wait for the refund and go with a different brand. I may add the extra and order that 39" monster from LG that's due in at OCUK soon.

Soldato
Will stick to Asus monitors, had a swift go funny and RMA was really easy. I actually only needed a new power brick and they shipped a whole new monitor and then a power brick turned up some weeks later!

Back
Top Bottom