*** The official Asus ROG Swift PG348Q 34" ultra-wide thread ***

Associate
I can only speak from my personal experience, and my personal experience *on quality front* matched a lot more users reports (exactly issues reported that I've got) than "professional reviews".
This "only negative reviews gets mostly reported" looks just the same excuse mantras as others - "light bleed not noticeable under normal condition", "having glossy screen is better for contrast (in dark room, and cheaper for us to make)", etc

I do appreciate a lot the job tftcentral is doing though, this is one of my favourite sites. If not for quality indication for but at least for quantitative measures like response times, colour accuracy etc which absolutely can be trusted since they not vary that much per unit.

But I still have to see online reviews reporting LCD uniformity issues as bad as it they actually happen to occur (and yes, they tend to be really bad and actually under-reported instead of over-reported).
Also not saying that reviewers are deliberately skewed in manufacturers favour - but if manufacturer (or sometimes affiliated shop) *knows* sample goes to reviewer, they will absolutely make sure its good sample.
If sometimes reviewer gets random sample and can be sure that its same as random shop sample - but sometimes not, these should be appropriately noted. Otherwise it still damages credibility overall.

Associate
Just got mine today along with my GTX 1080. I'm blown away, it's a beast! So nice to have the extra real estate on desktop. Only tried Skyrim so far but looked fantastic. Waiting on F4SE to be updated to try Fallout.

No problems I can see so far. BLB doesn't seem too bad. It's a solid monitor and to be honest I can see where my grand went. Well pleased with the purchase.

Any chance of a photo showing the backlight bleed?

Associate
Seems the BLB was slightly worse than I first saw. Once I had all the lights off and a dark room I could see more. Each corner has some the bottom left being the worst. Not enough to warrant sending back I feel. I'll try sort a picture out tonight. Obviously I'd like none or very little but seems you gonna have it no matter what.

Tested more games and very impressed.

Associate
Tried to take a photo of my BLB with my S7. The photo comes out a lot worse than the BLB actually is. It looks pretty much like yours in the photo Jasonn. I'm not going to post it because it doesn't do the monitor any justice and you guys will all say send it back!
Any tips on getting a decent photo will be appreciated because I'm no expert.

Soldato
Tried to take a photo of my BLB with my S7. The photo comes out a lot worse than the BLB actually is. It looks pretty much like yours in the photo Jasonn. I'm not going to post it because it doesn't do the monitor any justice and you guys will all say send it back!
Any tips on getting a decent photo will be appreciated because I'm no expert.

Dont worry about it. Unless its bothering you forget about it and enjoy it :).

I have a touch in the top left on mine which is more visible in the dark than the others. But unless someone brings it up i forget about it.

Completely unnoticeable in daylight, light on. I play in the light anyway most of the time so i can see what im doing :D.

Got mine a few weeks back, still blows me away. Really is an awesome monitor. Enjoy it mate.

Associate
Totally agree. Outstanding monitor and if you can afford one get it and use it. I to have my monitor facing light and the bleeds do not bother me and had mine for a wee while.

Associate
Oh I'm not worried. I was just trying to post a picture to help Jasonn out, as he asked. Like I said my BLB ain't bad in my view. However taking a photo made it look bad and doesn't show it's true BLB.
I'm over the moon with the screen. It's a joy to use. With a GTX 1080 it's fantastic. I always play with a light on and a television sits next to me. So the BLB is no issue for me.

I recommend this to anyone who wants to splash out. Gaming is just amazing and I'm loving it for every day surfing. Finally using Windows 10 snapping!

Also my first experience with Gsync, it's amazing!

The only problem I've had which is nothing to do with the monitor is getting Fallout 4 to run full 21:9. The mod I was using created a lookup failed message for perks. The mod maker fixed this yesterday.

Happy days :)

Associate
Decided to go for the PG348Q as my future monitor (hopefully). Until HDR/OLED/gaming/latency/hz gets on the marked (a man can dream). Replacing an U3415W, which I've nothing but praise for. Reasoning is to get better hz/g-sync/latency. With same IPS quality and curved 3800R. Dreading that manufacturers looks to leapfrog each other with more and more curvature going forward. For me 3800R has been a perfect balance between gaming and work. Others might prefer more curvature, no problem with that :)

Just started to unpack the PG348Q. One observation:
postimage01.png

As far as I can understand these two connectors on mount between monitor and stand are giving power and controlling the lighting effect in stand. This monitor is going on an arm with VESA mount. Might be paranoid. But those two connectors sticking up from back of monitor are just in the same plane as plastic on backside. Looks possible that a flat VESA mount could shorten them. Going to put some electric tape over them just to be sure. I'm sure ASUS knows better, and it's not a problem, even if shorted. Just wondering if anyone else have though of it?

Bought this PG348Q from a local warehouse in Norway that just got in a big batch. If of interest, mine has following manufactured date:
postimage02.png

One measurement I did not find before buying. That I would have liked to be somewhat more sure of:
postimage03.png

Is the distance between the lowest pair of mounting holes for VESA 100x100. And the bottom of monitor. Will not guarantee exactly 12.0cm (4.7inch). But it's not far from it by a few millimeters. Has to do with how low my Ergotron monitor arm can go. Should just about be ok for my preferences.

Now to the dreaded QA testing that should have been done by the manufacturers (ref QA thread) :rolleyes: Not picky, but at that price I demand a certain level of quality. Fingers crossed.

Associate
Right, so want to treat myself to a new monitor.

I currently have a Dell 27" 1440p ultrasharp. It has become boring. I want something that is going to be an exciting upgrade, I don't think I will be excited by an other 27" 1440p screen regardless of refresh rate etc.

I have a gtx 1080, is this the monitor I should be getting or should I go for a large 4k monitor?

I have a few concerns with this, my desk isn't the deepest and the stand looks like it is difficult to get the monitor close to the wall? If people are using aftermarket stands does it cheapen the monitor? Which ones are good?

Last edited:
Soldato

I currently have a Dell 27" 1440p ultrasharp. It has become boring. I want something that is going to be an exciting upgrade, I don't think I will be excited by an other 27" 1440p screen regardless of refresh rate etc.

I have a gtx 1080, is this the monitor I should be getting or should I go for a large 4k monitor?

I have a few concerns with this, my desk isn't the deepest and the stand looks like it is difficult to get the monitor close to the wall? If people are using aftermarket stands does it cheapen the monitor? Which ones are good?

The ergotron mx is a nice looking stand although a bit pricey

Associate

I'd recommend this over 4k with a single 1080. FPS wise it's the better option. The 1080 and this are a perfect match.

Associate
Morning guys, my monitor arrived today, I ordered it from Amazon warehouse, meaning someone else has had it and returned it for whatever reason. I think it was for black light bleed as so far everything is spot on other than that which is occurring in each corner, but minimal on the right and considerably more on the right corners.

I'm hoping you guys can give me some sound advice as I've spent so long shopping and reviewing I've lost all perspective :)

How much blb is unacceptable? I've taken some photos on a black screen. One exaggerates it massively but shows you where it's occurring. I've took a second shot trying to expose it how I see it and I'd say that picture us understating it slightly.

Building my pc today so can't fully test with a gfx card that supports the full resolution, but colours look great it's only black that's the problem. Anyway, what do you guys say?

http://imgur.com/a/wWKo0
http://imgur.com/a/2Ihjj

wWKo0

Last edited:
Associate
I cannot get those images to show in post for some reason. I would say one image overstates it by about 100% and the other understates the BLB by about 50%.

Mobster
Soldato
what did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking ? If that was full price I'd send it back, if its got a great discount I could live with it.

Contact amazon, tell them your thoughts, exaggerate the hell out of it, and try and get a good sized refund from the price or tell them you;'ll send it back.

Associate
what did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking ? If that was full price I'd send it back, if its got a great discount I could live with it.

Contact amazon, tell them your thoughts, exaggerate the hell out of it, and try and get a good sized refund from the price or tell them you;'ll send it back.

No I don't mind, I got £190 discount for it being Amazon Warehouse - which is awesome really.

It was listed as Like New - No cosmetic imperfections. I knew it was a return as everything is on there. I was hoping for a return from someone that bought and then got shouted at by their wife for spending too much :) Not a screen problem.

It still had the Nvidia sticker on the top right so I think they did a cursory test, saw the BLB on the left and returned it.

When looking straight at the middle you can really see it on the left but not so much on the right. It's definitely bleed and not ordinary IPS glow, that's present too but disappears as you look directly at that point.

Just building my PC now as my Overclockers deivery just came, so I'll be able to hook it up to my 1070 once I'm done.

Not sure what to do tbh. It's obviously there and apparent but how often are you on a black screen? I'm not sure.

I do plan on playing Dead by Daylight which is dark but not black.

Associate
Stuck between this monitor and a Dell 32" ultrasharp 4k.

I currently game on a 1440p Dell ultrasharp and I can live with the response time and 60hz. I want this monitor to last me a good few years, and I think 4k is more future proof.

Just think that the ultrasharp will be less of a screen gamble, and will look glorious. But is it crap for gaming?

I have a single 1080 but could add a second at some point. Is the Dell a bad option compared to this?

Associate
Having used the PG348Q a few days. I got a bonus I didn't even know about. For some reason the switching from fullscreen "exclusive" mode in a game, back to desktop, is a lot faster than it was on U3415W. And all previous monitors I can remember. Is this an inherent feature of NVidia/G-sync logic? Or the internal PG348Q logic helping? Was a behavior I really appreciate, and hadn't though of.

PS: Asking to rule out any other factor I've changed by accident at the same time. If so, I want to know of it. The blink-black-blink-blink-black effect can be pretty annoying at times.

Back
Top Bottom