Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
OK, I've ordered one. Not from OCUK as they didn't have stock (Apparently they will tomorrow) but I didn't want to wait + OCUK were £50 more expensive.

Did an online chat thingy and the guy confirmed it's the A03 revision (Stock July apparently) and they have a zero dead pixel guarantee policy.

Should arrive tomorrow, pre-noon - Excited to see how much better Forza Horizon 3 is on it, my 4k AOC monitor is tearing a lot.

Associate
I've heard back from Dell and Debenhams plus today...

Dell have said no to a brand new monitor being sent as the warranty started in April when they shipped to Debenhams plus, I have argued my point and said I have had the monitor 2 weeks and it isn't my fault so they are opening up a new request for a new replacement monitor, I may still get told no.

Debenhams are happy to arrange collection to test the monitor, as this is a very specific problem and some HDMI inputs work but the Xbox One refuses to get video signal I am worried they will tell me it is perfectly fine and bill me for the return and then send me out my monitor again. I have said I'd only accept a new replacement monitor if it is a new revision which is A03, I am yet to hear back on this.

How should I proceed? Ideally Dell will send me my new monitor and I can be done with the saga but I can't see it...

Associate
I've gone for one of these. A03 revision, brand new and comes tomorrow.

I have a Dell U2713H IPS monitor, which i still love but wanted something more aimed at gaming to pair with my 1080. Looking forward to see what all the fuss this 144hz and G-Sync stuff is about. Still keeping my U2713H - will just be my second monitor.

Soldato
Typing on it now, It's good. I've installed the colour profile, tweaked the menu and set it up how I want. It's a bit washy I think when on the desktop, and on office apps but comes into it's own when gaming (Just fired up Forza Horizon 3) - Really comes alive in that. So I'll game on this and use my office/RDP on my 4k monitor. I'm happy.

Also, it's the A03 model and thankfully, no dead pixels!

Edit: I've done a bit more tweaking and it's a lot better now!

Edit 2: Thought I'd check out the warranty status, bearing in mind this was July stock and arrive today - Warranty started on Aug 21st apparently, runs out 21 Aug 2019.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just ordered one of these along with a 1070.

HoneyBadger, can you link to the colour profile you installed and give me an idea of what tweaks you made?

Sure, the profile download is here It states in the smaller print that its for revision 00/01 but ignore that.

I then powered down, plugged it in and let Windows 10 detect and install it on boot. I then went into the monitor menu, did a reset to factory default, and from the menu, changed the response time from 'Normal' to 'Fast'

I then Installed the profile by going control panel, colour management, add, browse to where you saved the profile and add it in. Then flick to the advanced tab and select it from the profile listing.

I then went into NVidia control panel, set to Native res, selected 144Mhz and applied, then changed G-Sync to windowed and full screen mode and rebooted.

I ran my eye over all the other settings and checked the colour profiles, didn't touch that but check out this - Namely the Gaming Introduction bit.

I am connected via display port.

Mine is A01, why is everyone striving for A03? Is it just the belief that the quality control is better now?

For me, it boiled down to two things:

1) Its the latest variant, so I naturally wanted that
2) I had heard that the A03 has better QC, so I was more likely to get a good one first time round, which I did.

I don't think there's any technical differences between A01 and A03, maybe a couple of tweaks within the firmware? Not sure.

One thing I've noticed is that on every reboot, Windows sets the default sound playback device to the monitor, as opposed to my headset or speakers - so need to look into that. Think its in NVidia control panel.

Last edited:
Associate
Well wow, jeez and anything else which describes amazement.

No dead pixels, A03 version and brand new.

144hz is truly something to behold when gaming, CSGO was so buttery smooth.

Side by side to my Dell U2713H IPS monitor, you can tell it's a TN but it's a pretty good TN.

I'm completely sold and 144hz is definitely something you need to experience to fully appreciate how good (and worth the money) it is.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mine is A01, why is everyone striving for A03? Is it just the belief that the quality control is better now?

Early A01s have a more matt AGC I believe - not sure whether its improved from A02 to A03 or not - seen various different opinions - a Dell rep "believes it is the case" but doesn't have confirmation from their engineers. Some people experienced problems with deep sleep mode on A01 as well as HDMI issues which are supposedly solved in more recent variants.

Associate
Good news and bad news.

Good:- Ive just got one and it looks friggin awesome. A huge difference from a cheap 20 inch 8 year old one.

Bad :- Its A01. Which i have just found out by reading some of the latter threads. So it doesnt have HDCP. Now ive googled and all abit baffled. Do i really need it to get the most of this monitor? It will be used for mainly photoshop, photos and stuff like that to playing BF1 when it comes out. I wont be playing any blu rays or things like that.

Any advice please on the HDCP thing is more than welcome.

Man of Honour
Fair amount of video content these days - not just Blu-rays - uses (or for some silly reason checks for HDCP but never uses it) though most people won't notice as they have a HDCP compatible setup i.e. Amazon HD videos.

When I was using a 5" non HDCP compatible display alongside my system (which knocks out HDCP compatibility for the whole system) there was the odd game that wouldn't start until I unplugged it - best I could guess is the framework used to create the game had functionality for HDCP support that was being initialised anyway though the games didn't seem to do anything requiring HDCP.

Associate
Fair amount of video content these days - not just Blu-rays - uses (or for some silly reason checks for HDCP but never uses it) though most people won't notice as they have a HDCP compatible setup i.e. Amazon HD videos.

When I was using a 5" non HDCP compatible display alongside my system (which knocks out HDCP compatibility for the whole system) there was the odd game that wouldn't start until I unplugged it - best I could guess is the framework used to create the game had functionality for HDCP support that was being initialised anyway though the games didn't seem to do anything requiring HDCP.

I just tried my new monitor on amazon video and it worked. Its got me thinking that HDCP and HDMI wont be an issue as companies will allow both. Abit like playing a game/ videos on an iphone or android.

Associate
Question for other owners. I notice in Windows 10 the monitor is listed as an audio output. However no audio comes out over display port (I checked in OSD the volume is at 100). As far as I'm aware DP carries audio as well as picture, am I missing a setting somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom