New 2560 x 1440 monitor what's best

Associate
Hi guys after a good 2560 x 1440 monitor for around 400-500 pounds for playing world of warcraft on

Dell 27" UP2716D

Look at that can anyone recommend a better or is this fine

Many thanks

Associate
That monitor is 6ms, if you're going to be gaming you will need 1ms. It's a bit out of your price range but I recently got the Dell S2716DG, same specs as yours, 2560x1440p/27" but it's 1ms and 144hz, as a bonus it also has Gsync.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell...reen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-084-de.html

Searching on the forum here it looks as if this monitor is almost universally recommended compared to others with the same spec

Last edited:
Associate
That monitor is 6ms, if you're going to be gaming you will need 1ms.
I'm always perplexed by the idea that 'gaming' requires these hugely-overdriven TN panels that sacrifice everything else for low response times.

For the vast majority of gamers, the ones who don't exclusively play competitive twitch shooters while mainlining Red Bull, a good 5/6ms IPS or VA screen will deliver a much better experience overall.

Associate
OP
It's for a mate from work who is 54 and I don't think he is to fussed about going over 60hz

Think he just wants a nice one

He has a 3770k and a gtx 970

Man of Honour
I'm always perplexed by the idea that 'gaming' requires these hugely-overdriven TN panels that sacrifice everything else for low response times.

For the vast majority of gamers, the ones who don't exclusively play competitive twitch shooters while mainlining Red Bull, a good 5/6ms IPS or VA screen will deliver a much better experience overall.

Personally I find the responsiveness of 60Hz pretty nasty even for single player gaming and likewise the lack of clarity in motion typical of many IPS panels - the Dell U2913WM I have as a second panel overclocked to 75Hz and using FastSync is about the bottom of what I find acceptable.

The S2716DG I use mostly for gaming really doesn't look that bad alongside the U2913WM which is one of the better regarded IPS panels.

Soldato
That monitor is 6ms, if you're going to be gaming you will need 1ms. It's a bit out of your price range but I recently got the Dell S2716DG, same specs as yours, 2560x1440p/27" but it's 1ms and 144hz, as a bonus it also has Gsync.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell...reen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-084-de.html

Searching on the forum here it looks as if this monitor is almost universally recommended compared to others with the same spec

6ms is plenty fast enough for gaming.

I would take a UP over an S spec Dell monitor and an IPS over a TN any day.

Soldato
That monitor is 6ms, if you're going to be gaming you will need 1ms.

Complete tosh mate. I've been playing on a 6ms TN panel for a few years.

I've had a couple of TN panels but for my next monitor I think it'll be a IPS. IPS now are 6ms so that is fine, and I want to try the superior colour reproduction and wider angles from IPS (considering with a large screen the outer edges will be at an angle and therefore discoloured on a TN)

Soldato
When moving from 1ms to 6ms or whatever one would certainly see some awful blur (in fast paced games) but the eyes adjust very quickly and won't be seeing it for long :)

While I prefer the smoothness of my high refresh G-Sync TN screen I have no doubt WoW will look and play great on that Dell. Plus I find IPS screens are also great for media consumption.

Man of Honour
When moving from 1ms to 6ms or whatever one would certainly see some awful blur (in fast paced games) but the eyes adjust very quickly and won't be seeing it for long :)

While I prefer the smoothness of my high refresh G-Sync TN screen I have no doubt WoW will look and play great on that Dell. Plus I find IPS screens are also great for media consumption.

Personally I see it - only adjust so much and 1ms v 6ms doesn't really tell the whole tale as I've mentioned before the U2913WM for instance is rated for 8ms but gives considerably better clarity in motion than many 4-6ms rated panels.

Associate
I love my Dell G-sync! it's amazing! I was pretty lucky as I never had many issues! first one I got i sent back as their was a massive hole in the box, So didn't even take any chances, OcUK sent me swap straight away, and worked perfect straight out the box!

Associate
IPS panels really do matter. At least I've noticed than on my current TN panel, just looking at the monitor a few degrees off angle is enough to affect how the picture looks. I literally can't see some things when I look up at the monitor, I have to be directly looking at it for a clear image. I.e. viewing angles are terrible on TN. Which is why I'm franticallly trying to find a good IPS panel (with 1440p and 144Hz of course...).

IPS panels don't come at 1ms, but they do come in pretty darn close at 5ish or so I recall. Which is plenty enough.

Back
Top Bottom