Is there anything new and exciting around the corner?

Soldato
In all honestly, I don't follow monitor news and only really look or research a bit when I am after buying a new one. However such is my bad luck when it comes to monitor purchases I have bought and returned in the last two weeks both an Acer Predator XB321HK and the X34 Ultrawide (XB321HK been faulty on two occassions, and the X34 as glorious as it is I could'nt get used to it for other purposes outside of gaming).

Anyway, this time I would like to swat up in advance if possible as I will abandon the thought of buying a new monitor until either christmas or afterwards and I wanted to know if any of you well informed eagle eyed folks had any information or speculation maybe on what new waves of monitors could be coming out?

I am looking for a Gsync monitor, 4K resolution (3840x2160) and although 32" is a good size I would like to go up to at least 34". In addition to this I would like a high refresh rate monitor as I have always typically had a 60hz monitor (the Predator X34 overclocked to 100hz and I liked it).

The trouble with the current crop of monitors is there doesn't seem to be a huge choice, well not at 32" or more anyway.

Does anyone have any news or thoughts on new monitors that could be around the corner, anything I should be looking out for? I think I read somewhere about DisplayPort 1.4 which would give monitors utilising that a chance for higher refresh rates at 4K but other than that I am not sure what other news or announcements there have been in the monitor world?

Cheers :)

Caporegime
Manufacturers seem to be having problems implementing DP 1.3 at the moment (electrical problems I gather?) so that's probably holding up all the juicy stuff tbh! Hang on if you can tbh, a 32" 16:9 4K@120hz would be pretty nice to have :)

Soldato
OP
Manufacturers seem to be having problems implementing DP 1.3 at the moment (electrical problems I gather?) so that's probably holding up all the juicy stuff tbh! Hang on if you can tbh, a 32" 16:9 4K@120hz would be pretty nice to have :)

I would take something like that definitely, 60hz just feels so bad now.

Really hope the numerous manufacturers get there act together soon regarding not only releasing some actually good monitors but doing it properly with good quality control. Always seems to be a lottery buying a monitor that just works brilliantly out of the box, I dread everytime unboxing and connecting a new monitor because they all inevitably seem to have faults (bad taste in the mouth by Acer and BenQ has made me lose faith in monitor purchases).

Hope you're right though and there is some nice things lined up because at the moment choices are rather poor for anything above 27" :o

Caporegime

I want an 4k 120Hz screen at least 40" and OLED. Oh and under £1000.

I think I might be waiting a while....................

Associate
I want an 4k 120Hz screen at least 40" and OLED. Oh and under £1000.

I think I might be waiting a while....................

I wanted a 1440p one... but you know what... you're on to something here. I'd have to agree with you. One could always downscale to 1440p for framerates if one wanted... the ability to do 4k and high framerate is worth almost a grand to me at least. But not a penny over lol.

Man of Honour
I guess I wouldn't mind a screen that was 5120x2880 @ 100+Hz with perfect scaling so I could do 2560x1440 for most gaming stuff and then some variant of 4K if I felt the need for more screen estate. Personally 4K type resolution doesn't really work for me with most games.

Associate
I've heard mixed things about 144hz. Most agree that it is a great improvement over 60hz, but have read that some feel that is only slightly different. To those of you who have a 144hz+ display, would you say the difference is very noticeable or only slightly?

Man of Honour
For me 60Hz to even 80Hz is a huge difference - my ability to tell tapers off around 120Hz or so (so I'm not like must have 144+Hz) but anything 120+Hz feels night and day more responsive and smoother over 60Hz to me both for desktop and games.

Soldato
I went from 60 to 120hz a few years ago now. The only upgrade that has ever been more noticeable was my first SSD. The change from 60 to 120hz is pretty amazing as far as I'm concerned.

This BenQ XL2410T is pretty old now though :( I'm looking at the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" as a possible next replacement. It'll either be that or anything else that manages to combine IPS/120+ hz. 4k would be nice but I'm not that fussed about that yet.

Associate
I would love to have 4K which would at least have high refresh in upscale (e.g. 1080p, 1440p) or, even better, in 21:9 letterboxed res - this is possible with today's DP 1.2 technology and with today's GPUs.
But it should not require you to sell both kidneys unlike NEC PA322UHD ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
The perfect monitor would be 4k 100hz+, but, and that's a big but, with the ability to perfectly scale to 1440p without interpolation, or should i say perfect interpolation? Hmm.. Yep, not going to happen.

I've been waiting myself to see what comes around, currently at 1080p and not sure i will bother going to 1440p, sure it will be a bit clearer and crisper but probably not worth the fps loss. We are kind of between 1080p and 4k in terms of GPU performance, so personally i feel stuck.

I can see myself staying at 1080p 120hz for a while yet as i have no need to upgrade, I've had my monitor for over 4 years now and have gotten used to it, if i went 4k i would miss the higher refresh rate for sure.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think there's going to be anything new and exciting until Dell sort their problems in their new OLED and actually get it on the shop floor (assuming it hits it's touted 144hz specs) - monitor development just feels very lethargic and re-inventing the wheel at the moment with IPS panels just being a premium refined version of the overclocked Catleap monitors a few years back.

I'd be happy for an OLED that kicks around the £2-3k mark and hits anything post 100hz mark - IPS whilst great (and my go to monitor choice throughout) still has it's inherent downsides when considering the top end of the price scale ala X34 / PG348Q - they're great but they still are limited by being an IPS panel with varying black light bleed, panel lottery etc and it just feels like brands are happy to keep repackaging the same stuff with a "this goes faster" sticker on the front.

I'm not saying OLED is some technological bastion as it has it's own inherent issues to overcome (have Dell overcome / minimised them is but a question without the product in the public domain), but it doesn't feel like there's going to be anything interesting until it hits the shop floors to prompt something new and improved.

The above of course is all personal opinion though.

Soldato
I've heard mixed things about 144hz. Most agree that it is a great improvement over 60hz, but have read that some feel that is only slightly different. To those of you who have a 144hz+ display, would you say the difference is very noticeable or only slightly?

I'm one of the few(?) who went back to 60hz after having 120hz, mainly because I went the 21:9 route and when they first arrived there was nothing other than 60hz available. For me, gaming in 21:9 had a far more profound effect than the refresh rate. There is a difference and it is noticeable going from 60hz to 120hz, but it didn't bother me too much going back.

Disclaimer - I don't play racers or fast paced fps and I really couldn't tell the difference outside of games.

Caporegime
I guess I wouldn't mind a screen that was 5120x2880 @ 100+Hz with perfect scaling so I could do 2560x1440 for most gaming stuff and then some variant of 4K if I felt the need for more screen estate. Personally 4K type resolution doesn't really work for me with most games.

Yeah sounds perfect. If you need faster framerates just upscale.

WOuld have to be OLED as well.

I might go to £1500 for this screen. Where can I buy one please????? :D

Man of Honour
I'm surprised actually no one has done something along those lines (though it would probably be a bit glitchy) some early 4K displays were 2 or more panels using MST or something (in some cases requiring 2 connections) and Dell has a panel that can be split into 4 using MST.

Associate
I'm surprised actually no one has done something along those lines (though it would probably be a bit glitchy) some early 4K displays were 2 or more panels using MST or something (in some cases requiring 2 connections) and Dell has a panel that can be split into 4 using MST.
Why, Dell UP2715K does 5K resolution over two DisplayPort 1.2 cables.

But it does not tend to work well, often there are compatibility problems. MST in general turned out to be quite a nightmare for customer support, that's why most of manufacturers will never touch it again.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato

I'm probably in the minority but have just gone to 144hz from 60hz can barely notice any difference.

Back
Top Bottom