Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
Features kind of irrelevant for me to be honest - if I use it for more than time and notifications then smart watches are cumbersome.

My only priorities are wireless charging, 24hrs on a charge and good looks, the moto360 v2 fits the bill and is fairly cheap too.

Soldato
Yeah, I've had my LG GWR for I guess getting on for 2 years(?) and there really isn't any reason to change it. There are no new things the new ones can do, so why change? (Although I will soon, maybe for a nicer screen and faster processor)

Soldato
Still using mine, mostly for messaging notifications and music control nowadays. Sometimes a bit of weather and Citymapper as well.

I've been using Android Pay so I guess if an upcoming watch supports that then I may be tempted to upgrade but I've seen no real reason to buy any of the new watches.

Associate
I just bought my first smartwatch, sony smartwatch 3, I am a sony buff so it kind of was the only way especially given the price compared to others.

I always thought people with smart watches were ****s, but actually today is my first day with it, its very useful and I will invest when the newest generation comes out i suppose.

I've had the same experience.

I bought a Sony Smartwatch 3 when the price was reduced to a reasonable level i.e. less than £100.

I wasn't expecting much but wanted to explore the gadget. Surprisingly, it has been really useful.

It's still a geeky gadget, but its great for controlling music and for navigating when I'm down in London. And it's good for telling the time too as the display is always visible - which I did not expect.

I just wish the choice of watch bands was better (I'd love a stainless steel one).

Soldato
I've had Gwatch R, Moto 360 v2, Apple watch, Pebble Steel.

G watch was ok but lack of ambient light sensor just annoyed me too much. Moto 360 better but Android Wear still just seems way behind Apple Watch.( Apart from just raising the wrist and seeing your voice search results on your wrist which was fantastic, I still don't understand why Siri is so rubbish)

Kept the Apple watch and with the latest update it's even better. Kept the Steel because of waterproofing, a week on a charge and good notifications. Useful for some occasions.

Soldato
The more I see of the Gear S3, the more I like the look of it. I was on the verge of getting an S2 when I saw some teaser adverts about "Number 3 coming soon" so I decided to hang fire - I'm glad I did!

What annoys me though is the fact they've announced the watch, then gone completely silent about when it's going to be released and how much it will cost.

Soldato
The more I see of the Gear S3, the more I like the look of it. I was on the verge of getting an S2 when I saw some teaser adverts about "Number 3 coming soon" so I decided to hang fire - I'm glad I did!

What annoys me though is the fact they've announced the watch, then gone completely silent about when it's going to be released and how much it will cost.

+1

I have been pretty happy with my 360 (original), but it is showing signs of wear (slowly cracking back) and strap is a bit jaded......but nothing that has hit the market for the last year or so has really interested me. Now, the S3 (likely Frontier) seems like a winner.....c'mon Samsung!

Associate
Had the original Moto 360 on the day it was released. Been using it everyday until i accidentally scratched the watch glass at work. Wanted to have it repaired but it would cost almost the price of a new one.

Ordered the Huawei watch to replace my 360 and had it since the day it was released. Its been more than a year and i still use it everyday. The glass holds up much better on this one. But had my 360 not broke i wouldve kept using it and not buy the Huawei watch.

Now waiting for the Gear S3

Associate
I've had Gwatch R, Moto 360 v2, Apple watch, Pebble Steel.

G watch was ok but lack of ambient light sensor just annoyed me too much. Moto 360 better but Android Wear still just seems way behind Apple Watch.( Apart from just raising the wrist and seeing your voice search results on your wrist which was fantastic, I still don't understand why Siri is so rubbish)

Kept the Apple watch and with the latest update it's even better. Kept the Steel because of waterproofing, a week on a charge and good notifications. Useful for some occasions.

The problem is that the apple watch isn't really comparable, because you're not just shelling out £200 for the watch; you have to have an iPhone. which bumps the cost up significantly - even if you're looking at an iPhone 4 with any meaningful storage.

Soldato
how trustworthy are these things?

i bought them over ebay...

just worried they have software on them thats just spying on me or something....

No more dodgy than a smartphone which gathers data. Personally I prefer to buy through official channels even if it's a little more expensive but that's just me

Soldato
For those like me who have been waiting, the pricing for the Gear S3 has been released - £349 from Samsung direct for either model. I imagine some retailers may well have it cheaper. Release date is Friday November 11th.

I was hoping it would be a little cheaper - and nearer the price of the S2 - but it was wishful thinking (and I knew that really :D). I'll be waiting for release so I can see one in person before I decide.

Man of Honour
For those like me who have been waiting, the pricing for the Gear S3 has been released - £349 from Samsung direct for either model. I imagine some retailers may well have it cheaper. Release date is Friday November 11th.

I was hoping it would be a little cheaper - and nearer the price of the S2 - but it was wishful thinking (and I knew that really :D). I'll be waiting for release so I can see one in person before I decide.

interesting
With a GPS on the Gear S3, your phone can stay at home or tucked away in your backpack. You still get optimised hiking routes, still see the distance to the next hole on the green and find the best places to eat in the area after the game

what hiking map apps does it have?

Soldato
Has anyone tried the chinese 'clones'??.

Been reading up on the likes of:-

Zeblaze Blitz 3G
Ourtime X01S
No.1 G5+

They seem to add a lot for a low price and the reviews seem to be ok.

I've had a moto 360 which got the dreaded cracked back.
I dont want to splash out over £100 on a smart watch anymore and wondered if its worth getting one of the above??.

Soldato

I went the other way. The gear s3 got my interested but I went with the gear s2. It'll get the same software update as the s3 and can be had for a steal. They have just updated the gear app which makes it more pleasant.

Soldato
what hiking map apps does it have?
I have no idea. Might want to check the Tizen store, if there is one on the web?

I went the other way. The gear s3 got my interested but I went with the gear s2. It'll get the same software update as the s3 and can be had for a steal. They have just updated the gear app which makes it more pleasant.
I've tried the S2 out and it felt a little small to me. It's certainly more attractive price-wise, but aesthetically and based on the battery size and actual watch-size, I feel the S3 a better fit.

That said, I'm definitely waiting until it hits the shops so I can try it on before I make my decision. The pre-order bonus of some Bluetooth earphones doesn't really sell it :D

Back
Top Bottom