New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
Makes me wonder if Google are losing the plot on the software development end of things. Allo was a disaster from the moment they advertised the thing and even diehard supporters are just giving up defending it after seeing the full facts.

To top that off, Nougat still has a lot of issues (it's fine on my 6P) and the rollout was far from smooth due to inconsistent battery issues. To top it off their use of Material Design is getting worse - Pixel Launcher, YouTube which seems to get a new UI everytime I launch it.

Making a WhatsApp competitor that no one will have remotely even heard of (hello Duo) is going fail horribly. Either make it a core part of your OS like G.Music etc or it'll be ignored.

With the next iteration of Android i'd expect it to be a pre-installed app.

Soldato
These apps are from the play store so do they not need to be a credible company?

Well, it's easy to publish an app to the Play store but not every developer has good reasons. Sometimes you can find a bunch of apps from a few developers with hidden malware that somehow gets passed Google's scanners.

Heck, Cheetah Mobile still has apps on the Play store!

With the next iteration of Android i'd expect it to be a pre-installed app.

... only to be hidden away in the background on the Android version after like Hangouts was :p. One moment Google was pushing it as the default SMS app as well, the next moment, it's hidden in the deep dark app drawer.

Soldato
Very true. Bit what can these people really do to anyone?

Ok yes they might find out your bank details and do what ever with your details bit at the end of the day it's fraud and can be sorted at no loss to yourself. Only time and a big pain in the arse.

I'm not saying they're doing anything illegal, but even in that example I don't think the risk of fraud and breach of privacy would worth the odd bit of cashback. There are better ways to save money.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Anyone tried the Swiftkey Ninja keyboard theme? I quite like it! Autocorrect since the Neural network update to the stable channel has been even better, just mash keys to their nearest locations, and the KB figures the rest out.

Screenshot_20160925-221202.png

The numpad section is still normal though, for obvious reasons.

Man of Honour
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bitwalking.bitwalking&hl=en
Your steps convert into digital currency; a step is worth the same value for everyone - no matter who you are, or where you are.
What we’re creating is a new way to participate in the world. A technology that walks with us, that recognizes our human value. A new global currency generated by each of us, for all of us.

its essentially 1BW$ per 10000steps and I think I remember reading max of BW$3 a day. So should get 1-1.5 a day. No uk store at the moment, only US. Thought I might as well start collecting. As do absolutely nothing for it, other than running app in background. Cant see what's on the US store but there is a pic of the store with IP6s for bW$725. see how this develops. Hopefully this takes off and has a wide range of cheaper items in the store.

Back
Top Bottom