Tap. Pay. UK. - Android Pay in the UK

Soldato
http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2016/03/tap-pay-uk.html

"Android Pay will support MasterCard and Visa credit and debit cards from many of the UK’s major financial institutions — including Bank of Scotland, First Direct, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds Bank, M&S Bank, MBNA and Nationwide Building Society — with new banks being added all the time."

Android Pay is coming! Hopefully it's adoption over here goes well.

Soldato
Awesome - does this mean anywhere that accepts apple pay will also do android pay?

*edit never mind - just read the link. Happy days

*edit again - not happy days! I bank with NatWest. Grrr and arg

Last edited:
Soldato
What bothers me about this sort of thing though is if you keep your cash cards in a phone wallet, how do you know which device/account is going to be charged if you just present your phone case to the reader?

Soldato
OP
What bothers me about this sort of thing though is if you keep your cash cards in a phone wallet, how do you know which device/account is going to be charged if you just present your phone case to the reader?
I assume you can select a 'default' card if you have more than one in the wallet, and you can easily switch between them with a simple tap to select or something. No idea on what tech it employs vs Samsung Pay yet.

Soldato
Android Pay is NFC only (in physical world that is). I have a banking friend who has hinted that the delay on Samsung Pay (which can use magstripe replacement tech or NFC) has been caused by the magstripe part which IIRC is uninsured in the UK? Anyway, you'd want to be using NFC anyway over here.

Soldato
Woohoo, Nationwide customer, look forward to it.

I don't really see the point in Samsung Pay, I know there are a lot of Samsung users but how many different systems do we need in place, one for all Android users seems good to me (though I understand not best for Samsung)

Soldato
OP
I'm with Llyods so I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works on my 6P. Nice to see Google actually making the effort because when AP was announced I said it would fail since they rarely recognise any country outside their own.

Soldato
Doesn't work on rooted devices? Unles theres a decent xposed framework way around or something, or maybe im a few years out of date, since i haven't looked at this for a while!

Soldato
Doesn't work on rooted devices? Unles theres a decent xposed framework way around or something, or maybe im a few years out of date, since i haven't looked at this for a while!

My S6 is rooted but I doubt I would use it anyway. Had Apple pay since I got my work phone and haven't used it once even though two of my cards are linked to it.

Good if you don't want to carry your wallet around I guess.

Back
Top Bottom