Playstation VR vs Oculus CV1 comparison those GOD RAYS!!

Associate
I have had an Oculus rift CV1 and a GTX 1080 for a couple of months, I use it mainly for racing games (Assetto Corsa and Project cars)

I purchased a Playstation VR yesterday, more curious than anything else totally expecting it to be complete rubbish compared to the rift, played drive club and to be honest it's very blurry and not even close to the Oculus and Assetto but then I started playing other games like TumbleVR, Kitchen Demo and Until Dawn : blood of rush and have to say I am really impressed.

Finally tried the Allumette demo and again was impressed, for a laugh I decided to do a back to back comparison with the Oculus, watched it on the Playstation VR and then loaded it on the Oculus expecting to be blown away, the resolution is a lot better but OMG those God Rays!!!!!, they totally ruined it for me.

Luckily I only really use the Oculus for racing games and don't tend to notice them so much but use the Playstation VR for a while then jump over to the Oculus and it is a slap in the face, you notice them right away, is there anyway I can reduce them?

What a strange decision by Oculus to go with these lenses, is the HTC vive the same?

Soldato
Anywhere demoing the PSVR e.g. GAME ?

I think the Vive has similar god ray problems. God rays i hardly notice in the Oculus; i think it has other problems but hey thats another thread.

Associate
My Vive certainly has them, but I believe they aren't quite as pronounced as on the Rift. It's more like an annoying smudgy glow in very high-contrast scenes which makes you think there's a fingerprint or dirt on the edge of the lens. Usually it's not a problem though.

The fresnel lenses are intended to bring more of the display into the focal area, i.e. giving you a higher pixel density and hence lower SDE. Unfortunately, as with all optics, there's always a trade-off. :(

Back
Top Bottom