Best Distro for steam ?

Soldato
OP
I agree about SteamOS, I should have mentioned in the first post that I am wanting it for my Laptop and if good enough, on my Linux Desktop too!

I have had such a horrible mixed array of results from my Laptop, from completely failing to install, all the way up to simply hating me entirely.

I have also had mixed results with Linux when backing the files up and restoring them... Even if I simply reinstall and dont format /home it sometimes wants to reload the entire gam,e all over again, even though I have the same username and the files are all there, but the game still reloads up ( not all the time mind you )

I have NOT tried fedora because like Mandrake / Mandriva before it, it seems to be slightly different formats to what I have madewith any other distros... It will only work if I fully wipe and create new partitions... Never known why this does that, but its always done it on every distro on every machine I have ever owned.
SuSE does a similar thing too!

Anyway, that will have to do.

I am about to give another untested distro a shot, to see what gives.

( Fatty rolls the die to find out which... )

Soldato
I do get tempted to go really brave and try something like Arch, but then i've only really been playing with Linux since Steam announced support for it and there's still lots I don't know about.

TBf Tute, It's aimed at the console people. So yes under the TV is where its for.
Like you, for Desktop use a full blown distro like Mageia/fadora/*buntu flavour with steam installed.

You say that, but I have had "friends" considering a Steam machine to replace their desktop gaming PC. :D

[Edit] Just to add: Mad Max released on Linux today. A game I wholeheartedly recommend, it was one I completed back when I still ran a Windows partition.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do get tempted to go really brave and try something like Arch, but then i've only really been playing with Linux since Steam announced support for it and there's still lots I don't know about.

That's the beauty of linux, Dive in and play :p

You say that, but I have had "friends" considering a Steam machine to replace their desktop gaming PC. :D

Yea, I don't get it either :confused:

[Edit] Just to add: Mad Max released on Linux today. A game I wholeheartedly recommend, it was one I completed back when I still ran a Windows partition.

I know :cool:

There's a big patch + DLC for stellaris too.

Steam on linux ain't doing my wallet any good :eek:

Soldato
OP

Perhaps a little OTT at this moment, but its certainly becoming a viable option... In many ways, thats half my plan, but I simply want a Linux Desktop that is as good as I can get it for running Steam too!

My Linux Desktop is doing ok, but the steam apps just dont seem to be working quite right.
The Laptop is just being a whore.

That's the beauty of linux, Dive in and play :p

Agreed, but at the same time, too much choice is also a bit of a bugger when idiots like me end up running around like a child in a sweet shop on crack

Steam on linux ain't doing my wallet any good :eek:

You and me both! - snag is, Im buying anything that islinux compatible purely for the hell of it and next to none of them have been play yet?

That said, my steam folder in Windows is just shy of 1.5TB - EEK!

Back
Top Bottom