Fitted Wardrobe Opinions

Soldato
Finally moved in to our house at the start of the month and have pretty much unpacked. The only thing we have left to do is get some wardrobes for our bedroom.

The master bedroom isn't huge and we have been trying to decide what to do about wardrobes. We could get free-standing but we could also get something fitted. We had someone come in and give some quotes. We are happy with the price the only thing that is putting us off is that the wardrobes might feel a little oppressive in the room.

I have some rough mock-ups that give an idea of the space. Has any had fitted wardrobes in a room this small who can offer advice?

Click the images for a larger version:

WCLHeSvl.jpg

Quh9fvbl.jpg

The size of the room is approx 3.15m wide (door to window) and 3.69m long (back wall to front of chimney breast). With the wardrobes in place it'd end up 3.15m x 3.09m.

For reference we did consider putting wardrobes in the alcoves made by the chimney breast but they are too small we couldn't find any wardrobes that would fit.

Some images of the room here too:

https://goo.gl/photos/72KADssrA8ofMpYJ9

*EDIT* One other thing to bear in the lightswitch is currently on the wall where the wardrobe would be. We'd need to move the lightswitch to the other side of the door and rehang the door so it opens out of the room as opposed to in.

Last edited:
Soldato
tbh - it looks like it's going to make your room feel tiny - a free standing solution might not close it down as much, do you have any other furniture you are trying to fit in too?

I wouldn't do it in a room that size

Soldato
OP
Ideally we'd try and have as much as possible in the wardrobes, but we might end up needing some drawers in the alcoves.

I'm really in two minds at the moment to go ahead with this. If the room was like another foot longer, or the chimney breast wasn't there I'd be going ahead with it.

Associate
Fitted wardrobes from Ikea are normally quite good, prices are cheap and they will fit them for you also.

We moved into a new built, and the builders gave us some crappy ones, so we are looking to replace with Ikea jobbys :)

Associate
Another vote for the Ikea PAX wardrobes. If you go for sliding doors, they maximise space and you don't have to account for doors opening outwards.

What is the depth of the space for the wardrobes? Ikea do 2 frame depths and 2 heights.

You could fit 2 x 150cm frames and 4 sliding doors. Lots of accessories for inside too. They did not fit at our new house so I left them behind. The built in ones provided are not as flexible and I miss the Ikea ones.

Easy to fit if you want to do it yourself.

Soldato
As above, consider Ikea PAX with sliding doors. Then inside them you can have any multure of configurations (racks, draws, baskets)

Moving the wall switch is easy, and as for the door keep it as opening in but swap it around assuming the image is correct and it does currently opening towards the bed rather than the wardrobes.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all of the responses. We have considered Ikea PAX. However they would still have the same issue we are worried about in terms of making the room feel small. This isn't a cost issue - we are comfortable with the cost of someone coming in and building us a wardrobe we are just worried that wardrobes that size might overwhelm the room and wondered if anyone else had similar experience.

Also the benefit we'd have in getting them fitted properly is that the wardrobe could be fitted on to the floorboards and the carpet cut back. If we got the Ikea ones we'd probably have to just put them straight on the carpet I'd guess so would potentially less level and more liable to sink into the carpet etc.

We do want to avoid sliding doors however after bad experience in our previous flat. I am not also sure we have enough depth for sliding doors.

Last edited:
Soldato
We had a good bit more space each side of the chimney breast. Went with the PAX stuff in the end as there's only about... 3/4 cm wasted one side and about 25 the other (went with a 1m wide 1 side and 125cm the other). Keep in mind they come in 50/75/100cm carcasses and have deeper and thinner ones that could possibly cover the chimney front (we went with deeper anyway and will make a feature out of the fireplace that's still on the chimney).

Soldato
OP
The alcoves are only big enough to fit 80cm wide wardrobes in, the depth would mean that a wardrobe would stick out the front.

I don't think we have completely ruled it out using the alcoves in this way, but if we did we'd end up needing to get another wardrobe for the hall way to house some bits as there is no way we'd have enough space just using the alcoves.

Also I think we quite like having the bed against the chimney breast as there is power points etc. in either alcove so works quite well.

Back
Top Bottom