Critical Services Failed - Windows 8

Soldato
Hi all

I bought an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro a day or two after release, and I've been using it since. Last night I installed an updated driver for my Xfi soundcard. Upon reboot, Windows 8 reported that a 'Critical Service Failed'. I was then stuck in an endless BSOD/Reboot loop. I performed a few of the recovery options available on the Windows 8 DVD (system restore, automatic repair etc), and I was able to successfully boot into Windows 7 too from here. However, Windows 8 was a complete no go, with nothing working. In the end I had to go for the Refresh option, which removes nearly all of your installed programs, resets all your settings, but leaves your data in tact. This finally worked.

I'm just really annoyed that Windows 8 managed to fail so spectacularly so quickly. At least the Refresh option is there, which did at least minimise the recovery pain.

Not feeling too confident about 8 now :(

M.

Soldato
Also surely a sound card driver shouldn't brick windows?

If it doesn't work then ok but it shouldn't break windows completely.

Was the PC working perfectly fine before you installed the driver?

If yes, then its the driver. If not, its your PC and/or windows.

Same follows for everything. If you drive a car and crash it into a wall and it was working perfectly before the 6th pint, then it was not the cars fault!

Soldato
OP
Was the PC working perfectly fine before you installed the driver?

If yes, then its the driver. If not, its your PC and/or windows.

Same follows for everything. If you drive a car and crash it into a wall and it was working perfectly before the 6th pint, then it was not the cars fault!

It was the restart that occurred after the driver installation that was the problem. But who's to say that if I restarted without having installed the newer driver it wouldn't have done the same? What makes me think it wasn't is that restoring to a point before the driver was installed didn't fix the problem, nor does it explain how the same driver installed after the refresh suddenly worked.

If its at all relevant, the BSOD was coming up before I even got to the boot menu.

Soldato
Creative drivers have always been trouble, they need to get there act together, well they have needed to for years, good hardware, but let down by shoddy drivers, it's the same with Asus sound cards, drivers are awful.

Associate
Creative have been supplying bad drivers since creative made their first soundcard.

People still go to the trouble of reverse engineering creative drivers just to make their pc work.

Creative continually try to stop them because they make "some" fixes available but only for their new products in an attempt to make you buy another card from them after your fantastic experience previously.

Repeat...

Soldato
Creative drivers have always been trouble, they need to get there act together, well they have needed to for years, good hardware, but let down by shoddy drivers, it's the same with Asus sound cards, drivers are awful.

asus drivers are good never had trouble with them on win8 or 7

Back
Top Bottom