Holiday in Egypt, would you?

Soldato
I would like to go on holiday to Egypt next week. The price, resort and weather look amazing. However, my family don't want me to go, and also my girlfriend is concerned. The area is Hughada. My question to you... With everything going on, and this that have happened in the recent past, would you go?

Thanks!

apg

apg

Associate
I like the appeal of the weather and reduced prices but ultimately I wouldn't go as their have been attacks on resorts in the past couple of years.

Man of Honour
In previous years I wouldn't have given it a second thought, now I dunno I wouldn't take a trip there lightly.

Man of Honour
Yes.

I've also been to Tunisia and Turkey in recent years.

I wouldn't travel far from main resorts though.

The chances of being involved in a terror attack/plane bombing are miniscule compared to other everyday things here in the UK - Crossing the road/Car accidents.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Been a number of incidents recently - attacks on tourists/those of Western appearance etc. - though they mostly seem to happen around large events/demonstrations/significant places with regards to recent issues - that seem to have been suppressed in the media somewhat. Security around the resorts, etc. though is generally pretty high.

Associate
My boss planned to go on Monday (booked months ago) and the travel company cancelled it as all the flights had been cancelled. Assuming you can get a flight etc I wouldn't risk it.

Soldato
I would like to go on holiday to Egypt next week. The price, resort and weather look amazing. However, my family don't want me to go, and also my girlfriend is concerned. The area is Hughada. My question to you... With everything going on, and this that have happened in the recent past, would you go?

Thanks!

Dont go. Simple as. Better safe than sorry.

N17

N17

Permabanned
You have more chances of being killed by a fly or a toaster than you have of a very small percentage of extremist people.

Soldato
No I would not risk travelling there. I'm not sure how you would go on with the FO advice and insurance etc but then again I would not even look into it that far.!

When we went, a while back, and visited the Tutankhamen exhibition there were lots of demonstrations going on in the squares around the museum. The police building next to the museum (or offices) had been petrol bombed etc and I remember being rushed through as the crowds were getting bigger and more than just vocal.

Not worth the risk imo and even if it was politically more stable it must have been one of our least enjoyable holidays, food was carp and very poor hygiene in the hotel we stayed.

Soldato
Nope. But mainly because I hate heat. It just puts me to sleep. As much as I'd love to see the pyramids, I could not stand being somewhere that hot.

Associate
Even without the FCO warning I wouldn't go. Went a few years ago for a week and was ill for all of it. On top of that the heat was unbearable. Couldn't sit in the sun more than a few minutes

Soldato
r2ryuo.jpg

Man of Honour
The places the FCO deems has as green I'd go, assuming there's no significant advice warning not to... and they say there's extra security re: Hurghada. Back in '05 I went to Cairo, then on a cruise up the Nile to the Aswan dams (stopping each day to visit things on land). It was a great holiday. Although if it's just a resort holiday/there's no special reason to go there other than cost then I can see why friends and family are suggesting doing something different!

Was thinking when I posted earlier - while Egypt is an amazing place to visit - its pretty hard to justify it as a resort holiday right now and why go to Egypt just for a resort holiday?

Back
Top Bottom