• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 780 Ti > GTX 980 Ti

Soldato
I currently havea GTX 780 Ti but have been thinking about getting a 980 Ti in preperation for April when CV1 is out.

Is there anything on the horizon that should be considered that will either make the 980 Ti drop in price drastically or a much better card?

Thanks

Soldato
Pascal/Polaris.

When and whether it will prompt price drops is a large unknown though.

I've just ordered a 980Ti, then I can comfortably wait to see how Pascal develops and, if cards are looking good - Wait for waterblocks also.

If you are looking for an April upgrade however it might be worth waiting and seeing what info comes to light in the next few months.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replied. I'll wait until April or see if I can get a cheap 980 second hand somewhere

OC the heck out of the GTX 780Ti and wait and see IMHO.

Its at +50, +250. Tops out at 1200Mhz core, 3746Mhz memory. Any higher and I get artifacts or the driver crashes. The only game I play is Squad but it really hammers the gpu

Soldato
Maxwell not really the best solution for VR as it lacks async compute.

Which has provided absolutely zero advantage to AMD cards in any tests so far. If Maxwell cards are so bad at VR, why are all the Oculus approved PC's shipping with them?

The current rumours for cards coming out in April or thereabouts are a low end AMD card, or a new Titan from Nvidia, neither of which sounds applicable to the opening choice, and wouldn't really affect prices either (the dollar being a bit more reasonable than 1.4 might though)

I would say it depends on when you would then be looking to upgrade again - its looking like the 980ti/FuryX replacements are going to be more like September-ish

Soldato
If Maxwell cards are so bad at VR, why are all the Oculus approved PC's shipping with them?

Because AMD didn't give discounts like Nv do?

Because AMD didn't do an under the table deal with Oculus for an exclusive AMD gpu PC configuration?

Because AMD are slower at marketing than Nv?

Because AMD are incompetent with competitiveness?

Because AMD simply do what AMD do-miss out on deadlines?

You could well be right on the button but just because Nv are already in Oculus approved PC's doesn't mean they are better/inferior to AMD's VR solution.

Personally I'd go with incompetent myself.:p

Soldato
I think a 980ti will still be great price/perf and won't be matched any time soon, especially not by new cards, for which you have to wait several months anyway.

Back
Top Bottom