Need quality 3840*2160 on Nvidia but which ?

Associate
Hi

Moving up from a 1600*1200 and have 660mm space between my PC and end of desk. I'd like 3840*2160 but suspect I may have to reluctantly drop to 1440 if space is an issue (Why don't OC include the physical dimensions ??).

I share my time between gaming (NVIDIA) and large image editing. Poor blacks, back light bleeding, bad pixels, heard it all and don't want any of it !.

The Philips BDM4065UC caught my eye but how wide is it in milimeters and no G-Sync ?. Won't I miss G-Sync for gaming ?.

What's this DisplayPort 1.2 ?, will my 980Ti be ok ?. Are the cables different (to DisplayPort 1) ?.

Any suggestions ?.

Associate
Hi

Moving up from a 1600*1200 and have 660mm space between my PC and end of desk. I'd like 3840*2160 but suspect I may have to reluctantly drop to 1440 if space is an issue (Why don't OC include the physical dimensions ??).

I share my time between gaming (NVIDIA) and large image editing. Poor blacks, back light bleeding, bad pixels, heard it all and don't want any of it !.

The Philips BDM4065UC caught my eye but how wide is it in milimeters and no G-Sync ?. Won't I miss G-Sync for gaming ?.

What's this DisplayPort 1.2 ?, will my 980Ti be ok ?. Are the cables different (to DisplayPort 1) ?.

Any suggestions ?.

The philips:

Width with foot 904mm
Depth with foot 589mm
Height with foot 213mm

If you want 4K you would want to get something 32" or more.

Man of Honour
G-Sync would make 4K much better for gaming.

Personally I don't rate 4K for gaming though depends a bit on what kind of gamer you are - some games especially those where you can sit down with a controller i.e. racing games, elite dangerous, etc. (so a bigger display benefits) are pretty immense but for serious FPS gaming, etc. I've never found a 4K setup even close to ideal.

Caporegime
I think it depends on how much gaming you do tbh. I'm currently running the Iiyama 40in and it's absolutely fantastic!! I think I spend about 5-10% gaming on mine though, so the lack of Gsync totally outweighs the fantastic all-round media capabilities of it!

TV eps/Movies are absolutely stunning (which 50%+ is spent), and the space really helps with media creation too/many windows open.

I've kept my X34 just in case, but I'll def give it a few more weeks to decide...

Man of Honour
^^ Content creation is about all mine gets used for any more (along side a 2560x1440 monitor) - the resolution is great for spreading out media assets, etc. on so you can see lots of libraries at the same time to drag to the main screen for actual editing.

Caporegime
^^ Content creation is about all mine gets used for any more (along side a 2560x1440 monitor) - the resolution is great for spreading out media assets, etc. on so you can see lots of libraries at the same time to drag to the main screen for actual editing.

It is pretty awesome in that regard!! I'm reallllly pondering having a dual monitor setup with my X34, but that's a HELL of a lot of desk space!!! :eek:

Associate
OP
Ok so looking on Overclockers the Philips are out, 40" out as too wide, Samsung out as either Freesync or less vertical pixels than my current 21" 1600*1200....Getting closer !

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Its a TN and made by Acer... no offence to anyone but that is not exactly image editing material.

(Though those 8(10)bit 4K TNs aren't terrible for colours it is still a TN and Acer aren't exactly known for colour accuracy).

Last edited:
Associate
If you want a monitor for image editing you're going to have to look further up the money tree.

I have been using a Dell WFP3008 for 7 years now and it has been excellent both in colour accuracy, build quality and inputs. - you can't really go wrong with a Dell in that regard, and therefore I would suggest the Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q, but you're looking at an £860 price tag, and no G-Sync.

That being said I'm now 'upgrading' to an ASUS PG348Q as I want me an ultrawide g-sync gaming monitor.

I also spend most of my time either gaming, image editing, video creation and Unreal Engine 4 game creation. (but mostly gaming).

After many many months of holding off for something better, researching, careful consideration, I've decided that the best monitor for me will be the ASUS PG348Q ... probably paired with an X-Rite i1 Display Pro colour calibrator to ensure my colours are spot on.

But again, the ASUS is almost £1000... you could get this type of monitor cheaper, but no G-Sync.. I need G-Sync!

Associate
OP
Looks like I've settled on the DELL P2715Q 27" 3840X2160 IPS 4K

Bad - Not great for gaming (60hz and no gsync). Price lower than expected so quality lacking ??.

Good - Should be perfect for large picture editing etc, will fit on my desk and 3 year warranty.

Am I at low risk of backlight bleed and bad pixels with this ??.

Last edited:
Associate
With Dell warranty for their p line, you can RMA the moment a bright pixel appears. Not much mentioned on dead pixels. The quality is all plastic but that is the same with everything else in the range. As with all IPS there would be glow when looked at an angle, as with bleed, it is a bit of a lottery, but it would most likely have a bit more than a VA panel such as the 40 inch Philips. Also I completely disagree with the 30 inch+ logic for 4K monitors. A 4K at 27inch is only 160ish ppi, which really isn't that high, you definitely can notice each individual pixel. No need to go bigger.

Also 8bit colour is as high as most graphics cards go, you will need an overpriced Quadro or FirePro card to use 10bit, and one that can run 4K games, you be dropping £2k + which is I guess out of the question.

Man of Honour
Looks like about as good as you'd get in that price range as far as image editing and 4K goes.

I have a 28" 4K and know people with larger 4K panels/TVs and IMO the larger physical size makes for a more ideal experience - that isn't to say 27-28" is a problem.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys....

Looks like others are having problems with Dell's duff pixel warranty. Fingers crossed mine is perfect so far.

Yet....Even as I type this (black text on a grey background) I can see considerable white ghosting around the characters !?. 'ClearType Text' is disabled as it antialiasing via Nvidia. Looking up the page - the white text on blue background (previous posts) is perfect !. What's the score here ??

Soldato
If you get a duff pixel and Dell won't fix it, you just send it back to OCUK and ask for a refund. Distance selling act means they can't refuse it, not that they would anyway.

Soldato
That's great and all but DSR doesn't exist anymore.

It's been replaced, the refund you get now can be less than you paid.

DSR has been replaced by the Consumer Contracts Regulations... it's actually a better system, giving you 14 days for FULL refund, allowing for you to inspect and use item as you would in a shop. Obviously if you damage it any way you may be charged, but otherwise you are free to return for any or no reason within 14 days, you just have to pay for the return if there is no fault.

Back
Top Bottom