• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

gtx580 upgrade

Soldato
Morning,

I have a GTX580 that i got some time back, its worked fine however it is getting rather noisey the vast majority of the time.

Therefore i'm going to be on the look out for a replacement, main use of the pc apart from work use(non graphical really) will be playing FM2016, watching films on my 1080p 40" tv with the odd 3d film added in. i always like to play battlefield but don't get much time on it.

I don't want to be spending loads (<£160) and ideally looking at 2nd on the MM. Would a gtx770 be a worthwile upgrade? or would i need to be looking at 780's?
want a quiet card as the PC is in my bedroom.
don't want to go AMD.

Cheers

Soldato
960 uses less power and is just a fraction less powerful than the 770 and is a newer card. Warranty and all the "new bought tech" benefits. 4 gig of Vram (on the one I linked to) Will run quieter too.

770 is slightly faster but old tech, no warranty, won't hold it's value after Pascal comes out. Louder, uses more power.

Associate
Another 580gtx owner here, what a card this was!
Second what subbytna is saying, if you can, get a 960 or higher, I myself just got one of the 900 series myself as the old GPU was getting long in the tooth.

Soldato
LOL,and the GTX1070 is meant to be available in June.

Edit!!

Meant to be launched next week!!

EA will be unveiling Battlefield 5 at its world premiere event this week on May 6, while NVIDIA is reportedly inviting select press from around the world to unveil its new next-gen Pascal-based GeForce GTX 1080, and GTX 1070 video cards. When it comes to the next-gen GPUs from NVIDIA, the GTX 1080 should be quite the beast - with it being much more powerful than the GTX 980 (think Titan X speeds), with it being built on the 16nm FinFET process, the new Pascal architecture and GDDR5X. The upcoming GeForce GTX 1070 will be slightly slower - think less CUDA cores, and the use of GDDR5, not GDDR5X. AMD isn't taking this lying down however, as the company is preparing the launch of its Polaris architecture before Computex. During Computex, both sides will unleash their partner boards - with ASUS, MSI, ZOTAC, SAPPHIRE and the like all teasing their products in a month from now.

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/51924/nvidia-unveil-next-gen-geforce-same-day-battlefield-5/index.html

Last edited:
Soldato
A private press event to full consumer release is a bit of jump, I wouldn't except to see any cards based of the this 20nm hybrid process until June although I would love to be proven wrong!

Good choice on the 970 fantastic card if you plan to keep it for a few years it will serve you well.

Soldato
Gtx 770 > 960.

Any arguments about less power draw, quieter, value and warranties belittle the forum. Oc is about horse power surely ;). Other concerns to justify buying a weaker card... Meh

Associate
I would wait with the upgrade until nvidia driver mess will clear up and new cards from amd and nvidia will be announced . One of the guy just upgraded from 580 to 760 and ended up with crash and black screen. Now he needs to buy a new vga.

You can spend some time to fix the fan on your vga. I got 580 3gb version . I am not planing to change it yet.

Back
Top Bottom