Share Your Best Pizza Dough...

Man of Honour
Yeah i think you are probably right, though I am now fairly convinced about dropping the olive oil out or right down.

For Neapolitan style pizza I'd definitely drop the olive oil. If you're making pizza that requires a longer cook time then it can be useful to have some kind of fat in the dough though :)

(you may already know this - apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs)

Soldato
Last night I made the first in my experimental doughs! 2day 67% cold fermented malt dough.

Didn't have the pizza oven up as it's just too cold to be outside cooking, so had to resort to oven cooking at 250c for around 10 minutes on a pizza stone.

Resulting dough as quite nice, very springy. The dough was extremely active and aerated, once prepped for toppings, bubbles were appearing still.

Soldato
I've been reading this thread with interest, the GF and I are trying a 24 hour dough tonight, so quite keen t see how it turns out. May try some of the more involved recipes next time around.

edit: Well the dough was a little harder to work than our normal but it cooked well and went nicely crisp, even more so than our usual method which we're happy with. The dough was thoroughly cooked but it had a more "doughy" taste and not in bad way. The GF was neutral on it but I quite liked it. So we're going to have another go with a different recipe and see how we get on.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi everyone, I'm new on the Pizza section but tried making a New York dough from serious eats. The pizza was nice but I was wondering which would be the best way to get a crispy bottom on the pizza (It wasn't soggy but I was just wondering if a crisper texture is possible). I baked it on a pizza stone on the ovens hottest temperature but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas :)

Man of Honour
Hi everyone, I'm new on the Pizza section but tried making a New York dough from serious eats. The pizza was nice but I was wondering which would be the best way to get a crispy bottom on the pizza (It wasn't soggy but I was just wondering if a crisper texture is possible). I baked it on a pizza stone on the ovens hottest temperature but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas :)

How long did you pre-heat for? I'd give a regular pizza stone at least an hour, probably longer to be honest.

You'll get better (and quicker in terms of pre-heating requirement) results by using a cast iron or steel pizza "stone" :)

edit: Based on your pizza pics (which looked awesome, especially the pepperoni) in the show off your dish thread I'd probably suggest flattening down your dough a little more. Possibly using less dough in fact. You may also want to try switching to grill mode a few minutes before you stick your pizza in to get a browner top too, though that won't work too well with a regular pizza stone - you'll need the cast iron or steel stone I talked about for this to be practical.

Associate
How long did you pre-heat for? I'd give a regular pizza stone at least an hour, probably longer to be honest.

You'll get better (and quicker in terms of pre-heating requirement) results by using a cast iron or steel pizza "stone" :)

edit: Based on your pizza pics (which looked awesome, especially the pepperoni) in the show off your dish thread I'd probably suggest flattening down your dough a little more. Possibly using less dough in fact. You may also want to try switching to grill mode a few minutes before you stick your pizza in to get a browner top too, though that won't work too well with a regular pizza stone - you'll need the cast iron or steel stone I talked about for this to be practical.
Thank you :D, I pre-heated the stone for 30 mins at 180c and then 45 minutes on full heat. Next time I'll try your recommendation of less dough (I need to improve my skills working with dough as it can be very sticky :D) and I like the idea of the grill mode as I wanted the cheese to brown a little bit without burning the pizza. :)

Man of Honour
I got one of these pizza ovens for Christmas and I'm finally going to get round to using it this weekend, making some dough up tomorrow to use on Sunday. Have you modded yours at all yet? Un-modded, what are the results like?

Sorry, I missed this.

I've not actually got round to modding my oven but I definitely think it would benefit. Unmodded it cooks pizzas in about 3 minutes. I turn the pizza using the peel after the first 1-1.5 minutes. Results are really good though it takes some getting used to as it's quite different to cooking with a regular oven (or even a grill + cast iron pan combo).

I'd recommend dough balls of about 200g btw - using ~120g of flour. Any larger than that and the pizza will be too wide for the oven.

Man of Honour
No problem. Will look at a couple of the simpler mods to start with :).

When you wrap the dough and put it in the fridge, is it wrapped tightly or loosly?

I did stick a heat reflector on top btw - forgot to mention that. I think it helps quite a bit. It's also the most minor mod.

I wrap it fairly tightly but I've had the dough burst in the past. These days I've moved to lightly greased tupperware instead, which seems to work well.

Man of Honour
I don't have an IR thermometer but I keep meaning to pick one up. Definitely will help take the guess work out of the pizza stone temp (burnt bases aren't fun).

I bought a smaller (poss 20cm) one from my local Tesco and then stretched the sides out. Not ideal but it did work.

Associate
Water + yeast + some flour + sugar + salt + some more flour

Bake it on the top of the oven for six minutes (grill-setting), which makes the top crispy (bottom is still soft). Afterwards I take it out and turn it over and add ingredients and bake for another 6-8 minutes (this time using the normal over-function).

= perfect pizza!

Back
Top Bottom