Mondeo ST220 Tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That kit is pants.

1) the K+N alone will not provide you much use unless you get some proper cold air feed and heatshielding in there as the engine is huge and spouts out so much heat all you get is heat loss unless relocating the filter
2) Miltek exhaust has been known to reduce power, be much better off getting a custom mij or blueflame exhaust which you can tune to have sound like you want plus it will be a better design
3) dreamscience box is good apparently i'm getting mine monday so can let you know how it goes.

Really if you're spending 1k I would be looking at pipercross vis filter + dreamscience and pocket the rest or get the custom exhaust for a bit more if you wish, the standard is supposed to be pretty good by all accounts.

me too, and theres far too many people saying the mods arent that good either, ie the K&N induction kit

I think i may just get a blueflame 'zorst so it sounds nice.

Oh and they do thats for sure :D got a mongoose on mine which is the same system and it sounds amazing, I heard it burble properly for the first time today got somebody to drive it for me so I could hear it.

Soldato
If that is a custom remap with a RR as well as the militek exhaust it is a good price.

I don't know about the induction kit, imo it is useless. Just make sure you are fully aware of the potential risks, regardless of how little.

Soldato
2) Miltek exhaust has been known to reduce power, be much better off getting a custom mij or blueflame exhaust which you can tune to have sound like you want plus it will be a better design

I've never, ever heard of a milltek reducing a cars power, milltek and blue flame are regarded as the two best brands for after market exhausts in the VAG world and I imagine this would extend to other car manufacturers.

They are also application specific, i.e. they are tailored to be a direct replacement for your exact car and have been tested for optimum gains - custom exhausts pretty much never get the same gains as a researched and tested one such as a milltek

Soldato
I've never, ever heard of a milltek reducing a cars power, milltek and blue flame are regarded as the two best brands for after market exhausts in the VAG world and I imagine this would extend to other car manufacturers.

They are also application specific, i.e. they are tailored to be a direct replacement for your exact car and have been tested for optimum gains - custom exhausts pretty much never get the same gains as a researched and tested one such as a milltek

Well by the sounds of the st owners forums I am on which would know I suspect as they own these cars, the miltek actually had a design flaw and restricted flow. Yes they are very widely regarded but sometimes they get things wrong.

Soldato
but if they did they'd correct it in the next production run?

any time I've heard of them not getting things right they've either fixed it or taken it out of production while they develop a better one.

Is that the CAT back or full system? Maybe they just don't care as much about fords :D

Soldato
due to breathing loads of hot, less dense air

i also dont like the way a cone filter will lose the venturi etc that is built into the top of most airboxes

Soldato
it would increase pressure actually as it narrows down to increase the velocity of the air, people remove them, but airflow is tested to be better with them

it ends up breathing hot air because its under the bonnet. no point debating it, ive done it, with temp sensors, shields, shed loads of ducting, the lot. short of putting the cone inside a large tube (no longer making it a remote cone) you cannot avoid the hotter intake air in my experience. i did it and tried it all and i use the standard but modded airbox. doesnt sound as nice, but if i wanted it to sound nice, i wouldnt have bought a 4cyl. it works and its functional and my intake temps are barely ever above ambient

Associate
The ford map out of the factory is actually pretty good on these, so be sure whoever you get to remap knows what they are doing.

A company called performance 3000 are the people to speak to if you want to go forced induction.

Soldato
venturi increases pressure as matt said, on cars with maf sensors, even doing something as simple as removing the trumpet in the airbox screws the airflow and the pressure imbalance makes the maf sensor read wrong so overfuels

Soldato
the venturi is great, drive the car with and without it.

id imagine that it will become restrictive if youre flowing tons more air than standard, but for a relatively standard again, its all good in the hood

Soldato
http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/

I attached the AFM & airbox assembly to the rig and began taking readings. The first thing I tried was to remove that intake horn / velocity stack thingy inside the airbox that looks like it might restrict airflow. If you've removed yours, you should probably find it and stick it back in there. The flowbench shows a pressure difference of .1" for horn vs. no horn configuration. Air flow is measurably better in the stock configuration with the horn in place.

you know it

Soldato
it would increase pressure actually as it narrows down to increase the velocity of the air, people remove them, but airflow is tested to be better with them

it ends up breathing hot air because its under the bonnet. no point debating it, ive done it, with temp sensors, shields, shed loads of ducting, the lot. short of putting the cone inside a large tube (no longer making it a remote cone) you cannot avoid the hotter intake air in my experience. i did it and tried it all and i use the standard but modded airbox. doesnt sound as nice, but if i wanted it to sound nice, i wouldnt have bought a 4cyl. it works and its functional and my intake temps are barely ever above ambient

venturi decreases pressure due to the air having to go from large to small pipe and back into a large area. this creates a partial vacuum (in a true venturi). The airflow might have increased but its pressure is lower, they use this effect under F1 cars to suck it to the ground.

I dunno, standard FiestaST airbox causes the temps to reach +40c on a cool day, cone filter 18c hence the massive (for a airfilter) increase BHP that no one believes.... :o

Soldato
i dont believe that, for one second.

went out with some mates at the weekend for a bit of testing. i wasnt actually timing my car for once, i had vagcom on it to log some of the measuring blocks

one i logged was the intake temp after the car had been parked up for an hour. started at 31*, after about 45s this was down to 16*.

i doubt ford could have hashed up an airbox design so badly that intake temps are nearly double ambient haha

just get the cone and be done with it. there is no point debating this. only car i will have ever come across to gain 10% from adding a cone

funny_guy.jpg

Soldato
pressure aside, with a cone the air reaching the maf sensor will be turbulent and irratic, resulting in poor maf readings, thus poor fueling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom