Lovefilm (and alternatives)

Soldato
So.. Up until last night I was paying my £5 a month for a basic rental package, and I could watch unlimited movies online. Well, obviously I was limited to their 'free movies' section, but never the less.. I watched maybe 3-4 movies a month, nothing major.

So, today I log in, and I'm told that my package does not allow online viewing any longer, further more, the next package up now only allows 2 hours online viewing per month. This is useless obviously, it's not even a full film in many cases. So, I can pay £10 a month and watch (it seems, I'm a little unsure) 'unlimited' online movies, from their free section again. But, well, firstly it's double the cost. I can understand that though I suppose, bandwidth isn't free and so on. But how long until they double it again without informing me?. Where does it end?.

I think the point I'm trying to make, is that you try to do the right thing, you pay for streaming movie watching, play by the rules, and you just get ****** in the ***. Where's the incentive for me not to go and buy a rapidshare account and download as many movies as I like, whenever I like. Why can't things be honest and affordable!, grr.

So, does anyone know of a viable alternative to lovefilm?. I require unlimited online movie watching, a decent selection of titles, maximum £10pm.

:)

Man of Honour
I think the point I'm trying to make, is that you try to do the right thing, you pay for streaming movie watching, play by the rules, and you just get ****** in the ***. Where's the incentive for me not to go and buy a rapidshare account and download as many movies as I like, whenever I like. Why can't things be honest and affordable!, grr.

:)

Not really it was a beta service and not guaranteed in the package. It was an add on. Now they are actually adding some decent films to it, you are going to have to pay. It's also not just streaming, royalties have to be paid as well.

There's blinkbox which is totally free, but far worse qaulity and adverts.

Last edited:
Soldato
If the maximum you want to pay then why not upgrade to the £9.99 lovefilm package, 1 disc at a time, unlimited discs and no limit online viewing.
Or if you also have a console there's a £10.99 games and movies package with 1 disc at a time, unlimited discs.
I think you're being a bit unrealistic expecting unlimited online movies as well as you're physical discs for £5 a month, and then you go on to say
the maximum you'll pay is £10 and it just so happens that lovefilm will give you what you want for £10 :p

Soldato
OP
I think you're being a bit unrealistic expecting unlimited online movies as well as you're physical discs for £5 a month, and then you go on to say
the maximum you'll pay is £10 and it just so happens that lovefilm will give you what you want for £10 :p

That's not really the case, the £10 lovefilm option is free section viewing only (again, understandable), and the choice is quite limited. I did mention in the OP that cost increase was understandable. My 'issue' is that it's impossible to say whether or not they'll decide that the new model is unsustainable and hike prices again in another 6 months, and again and again, etc. Also, as I said, I've only been watching 3-4 films a month, I don't really expect the world. 'Unlimited' may have been a bit greedy ;P.

Not really it was a beta service and not guaranteed in the package. It was an add on. Now they are actually adding some decent films to it, you are going to have to pay. It's also not just streaming, royalties have to be paid as well.

There's blinkbox which is totally free, but far worse qaulity and adverts.

True indeed, movies cost lots to make, lots of distribute, etc. But.. We're removing the need for physical media, physical distribution, storage space, shelf space, rental shop staff etcetc. I just think that these savings should be passed on!. Plus the increase in revenue due to the fact that the films are more accessible to a home audience in online formats, so on and so forth. I'll have a gander at blinkbox, ty.

I suppose my 'beef' isn't with lovefilm per-se, rather the entire attitude and slow uptake of online film watching services.

Soldato
OP
The near real time high bandwidth is a big ask at both ends of the connection. Roll on better infrastructure...

Quite right you are chap. I always found it odd that the film distribution industry hadn't embraced some type of BitTorrent protocol, maybe supplemented by existing servers/services (can that be done?). Either way tis a shame. I'm still looking for an answer lol.

Man of Honour
Infrastructure is hard to implement, a BitTorrent protocol would be ideal, but don't hold your breath on the movie industry to do the right thing.

However is it a case if you're paying for torrents, then accounts can't be hijacked easily?

Soldato
People don't realize just how greedy they are though, a movie almost always makes a decent profit on release and if it doesn't it will do in the first year so beyond that point they should expect less profits but instead they seek endlessly excessive profits.

I wish for a service with a reasonable monthly subscription where i can view unlimited amounts of tv and movies on demand, things are moving in that direction but its got a fair way to go before its considering good and fair, i don't want to see exclusivity unless its for a few days or a week at most.

Man of Honour
People don't realize just how greedy they are though, a movie almost always makes a decent profit on release and if it doesn't it will do in the first year so beyond that point they should expect less profits but instead they seek endlessly excessive profits.

:rolleyes:

so reducing the cost for £18 to sub £5 over the first year or two is not enough in your eyes.

Back
Top Bottom