980ti EK Backplate

Soldato
Hello, just wondering if a backplate can be fitted at a later date or does it need fitting when the block is fitted? I've basically got 2 cards 2 blocks and 1 backplate, the other backplate is in the mail but i dunno if its an easy job adding it after or should i just wait and do it all together.

I have this afternoon off work so i just thought i could make a start now if i can.

Cheers.

Associate
I'll start by saying i've only used XSPC blocks before, but i'm going to assume that the EK use the same method as XSPC.

If thats the case then it won't be possible to fit a back plate without removing the block, as the back plate screws into the block itself.

Soldato
OP
Cheers, i just took a look at the backplate and realised it has instructions, your right it screws into the block aswell as bolting onto the holes around the block, looks like it would be a nightmare once its fitted

I'll just hang on.

Soldato
I've changed the backplate on my Titan card without removing the card from the system or even the loop. It was very easy tbh.

I don't know which specific 980ti block and backplate you have but normally there are 4-6 screws that hold the block to the card next to the GPU itself that aren't used for the backplate.

So the procedure would be install the blackplate you have on the bottom card. When the 2nd backplate comes, remove 6 screws, put the backplate on and put 6 longer screws back in.

Soldato
OP
Yeah i ive done that now disco, i managed to rebuild it a lot faster than i thought i would so i thought screw it ill just use it till the plate arrives than bang it on after, im using titan blocks and backplates so its the same as yours.

Last edited:
Soldato
The back screws in to the block but the easy way is dont fit anything (not even the stock one if it comes with one) then just screw it on. To be super clear the screws you remove are not the ones which seal the block so the loop full of fluid is fine... Literally you'll unscrew about 6 round the edge and screw on the block.

You can just about see the screw mounts, should be pretty accessible on most cases to fit it to something already installed.

Photo%2022-05-2016%2012%2023%2047_zpsphrldf1m.jpg

Soldato
OP
Cool, yeah mine is much more accessible than that been a Primo is got gallons of space so i should be able to bolt it on fine, the plate will be arriving tomorrow so ill find out :)

Back
Top Bottom