Could I cover an EK GPU backplate in vinyl?

Soldato
I don't see why it would be an issue - The heat is all taken away by the waterblock. The backplate just protects the board and adds cosmetic sparkle... especially on mine!

Soldato
There is a little heat coming off the PCB, but unless you have a card with memory on the back the backplate is purely supportive and aesthetic.

I'm going to vinyl wrap mine if I mess up the brush aluminium effect I'm planning.

Soldato
OP
It's a 1080 FE card. I may or may not do it, it really depends how it matches with everything else, so if the backplate doesn't quite match with my fittings, then at least adding some vinyl to it is an option.

Soldato
OP
You might be as well painting it a colour to suit your build.

Well the reason I mention vinyl is I am wrapping my case in vinyl, so that would actually be the perfect match... I'm just not sure how it's all going to look together with the motherboard and fittings yet though, as I'm still waiting on stuff being delivered so I can see it all in the flesh.

Soldato
OP
Would the heat not cause the vinyl to bubble or peel away? The backplate wont get roasting but its still going to get warm..

Would have to get fairly warm wouldn't it? Most vinyls (the ones I'm looking at anyway) can be applied to cars, which on a hot day are going to get far warmer than a watercooled GPU backplate surely??

Soldato
I have my EK backplate covered in about 5 layers of plastidip and then 2 layers of vaspaar fast dry project enamel. Said backplate is in contact with the ram on the back of my titan.

Under heavy load it does get hot to the touch but remember that 50C is hot to us but not to electronics. The titan is nearly 3.5 years old and the last 2 it has been in this configuration without issue. Normally the vram on the back of the card has no cooling at all.

Back
Top Bottom