Rigid Watercooling

Caporegime
OP
I've just done underfloor heating at home and I have a John Guest speedfit cutter and a pvc ratchet pipe cutter so I am hoping either one of them will work well.

Soldato
Could anyone suggest a good alternative to the Monsoon mandrels? They're like hen's teeth, I've been waiting almost two months and still no stock.

I honestly don't think you need them, hand and eye will do you for anything just don't over heat the tubing. The easiest option without anything is draw the shape on to a surface and then bend above it to shape, if you have a fan set up you can easily cool it down to firm the bend once done.

Soldato
The Barrow are plastic - not saying that's a bad thing, just expect plastic to turn up not ali. If I remember though, they're quite a wide bend radius so if you're in a tight space you could consider bending around a length of 22mm copper pipe (someone else's idea) or similar. The bending cord is necessary though.

Soldato
Should be able to. There's a bit of resistance when you pull them out as they go past the o-ring but it isn't (or shouldn't be) destructive. The EK instructions state that it is mandatory to chamfer the edge of the tube so that when you push it in, it doesn't tear/slice/otherwise knacker the o-ring.
Just for clarity, there is an o-ring in the main body of the fitting that seals against the outside of the tube and there is an (easily lost) o-ring that goes between the fitting and the compression ring. This last ones gets squashed again st the outside of the tube when you screw the ring on.

Soldato
I've got the loop installed and have tested for leaks over 24 hours. I have to say the EK PTEG and HD fittings have been excellent to work with.

I assume coloured coolant is best avoided with PTEG? I actually quite like the clear look too so not fussed really.

This has been a good thread for advice. Cheers all.

Caporegime
OP
I've got the loop installed and have tested for leaks over 24 hours. I have to say the EK PTEG and HD fittings have been excellent to work with.

I assume coloured coolant is best avoided with PTEG? I actually quite like the clear look too so not fussed really.

This has been a good thread for advice. Cheers all.

Colour can seep into the tubing overtime. All depends how long you plan to keep the same tubing?

Soldato
I've not got any experience of coloured coolants. The sage advise I was given by a friend was "How would a stain that colour look on your carpet?!" and I've stuck to clear, colourless ever since. I have been looking at going to the darkside for my current build and had a few words with Mayhems. PETG it seems will absorb coolant to a small degree (acrylic doesn't) and that is likely to cause staining. I would guess that if you're going to keep the same colour, that's much less of an issue as red stains wouldn't show with red coolant.

Have a read of what Mayhems said in this post: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18736564

Back
Top Bottom